News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor: 1/35 Scale Carnotaurus sastrei "Crimson King"

Started by joossa, July 17, 2016, 11:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dyscrasia

From Rebor's facebook page.

Loon

I'd like to see it from more angles, because the photography combined with the rather lackluster pose, leaves with an initial "meh"-ness. It does seem to contain a bit of Disney Dinosaur influence:

But, I want to see some more angles before making a truly final judgement; however, as of now, the sculpt is giving a rather bland vibe to me.

tanystropheus

Regardless of [insert critique], it is a beautiful piece, masterfully painted.

Victoria's Cantina

I think it looks great. It definitely has that Rebor aesthetic we haven't seen for about a year and a half... since Hercules came out. I'm glad to see them doing proper 1/35 dinosaurs again even if it might not have been my first choice. The purple tongue is an interesting touch, and I really do like that lava base even if it's not very realistic for a dinosaur to be calmly strolling on scorching rock. My biggest concern is balancing issues since that's been a hallmark issue for Rebor in the past.

AcroSauroTaurus

I really like it. I love the sculpt and the colors.(especially the sharp teeth and horns) There is a slight Disney influence, but its barely noticeable at all.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Cloud the Dinosaur King

It seems to have lips. That's a nice edition. I'm glad that the arms are the correct shape, if not a little too long. I think it's a pretty nice figure.

Reptilia

Very cool, it actually turned out way better than I expected. As far as Carnotaurus go it rivals Papo's as the best representation of the genus in PVC form, and among Rebor stuff it certainly is on par with their Acrocanthosaurus and Ceratosaurus.

Lanthanotus

Well, the base is ridiculous (molten lava, really?) and the legs looks too static, but other than than it's a really fine sculpted piece. And that they added lips is a real plus (not sure though if the mouth can be closed shut on that figure....).

Shonisaurus

For me it seems fabulous the figure of the carnotaurus very well finished. Independently it has influences (I sincerely do not notice them) of the carnotaurus of Disney and of the unreal of its base (with lava). It seems to me a better figure than the acrocanthosaurus of the same factory.

The problem will be to keep it standing without needing a base. On the other hand I have noticed that the tongue is a grayish or blackish color that reminds me of the language of many animals today including the giraffe.

For me it is perhaps the best figure of Rebor by far has impressed me pleasantly. Then you will have to see it in person. It is an advance on the part of Rebor from my point of view. On the other hand the front legs (arms) did not expect me to be inside so small, that is to say in a certain way scientific.

For me the carnotaurus Rebor is a magnificent figure and is a figure in which the only fault on my part will be its sustainability without the base and its mandible articulated (as many members of the forum know I am not in favor of the jaws or parts of the body of Dinosaurs or articulated prehistoric animals).

joossa

The only thing I don't like is how the lower lip makes it seem to have an underbite. I can't unseen it.

I also feel that the eyes are sunken in a bit too much.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Patrx

The way I see it, if a model of Carnotaurus doesn't immediately make you laugh, something has gone wrong with it  ;D
That said, there are certainly worse examples out there.

Shonisaurus

Each one has a way of expressing opinion but the truth and truth that surpasses with its defects to previous figures of the same factory made previously. It is not a PNSO figure but I can not say that it is a bad figure, on the contrary, it seems to me a very good figure.

That we can not swallow their representatives by their rude tone of little people does not remove that it is better than other figures made by Rebor from the scientific point of view. I at least do not despise that figure, regardless of whether I have my preferences for other toy dinosaur companies and collection. For me it is the best figure made by Rebor.

empire3569

I have to say, while I was not a fan of the black and white photos of the Carnotaurus, these color photos look very nice. It has the typical inaccuracies of Carno's (wide head, oversized arms) and the typical oversized feet in many theropod models, but it looks very nice overall. I'll be picking this one up

Reptilia

Only thing I dislike here is the movable arms feature, for me the lower jaw must be the only point of articulation in a theropod figure. From these promos it seems they made it less evident, and less distracting, than on "Winston" and "Wind Hunter", but still feels unnecessary from my point of view.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Reptilia on April 27, 2017, 08:15:18 PM
Only thing I dislike here is the movable arms feature, for me the lower jaw must be the only point of articulation in a theropod figure. From these promos it seems they made it less evident, and less distracting, than on "Winston" and "Wind Hunter", but still feels unnecessary from my point of view.

But do you have moving arms? Then I retract myself from what I have said. I have a jaw that is articulated and I do not like it, but it can happen, but have movable arms! Make a figure in collection theory into a mere expensive toy but anyway I like his figure but after learning that he has the moving arms he disappoints me completely.

On the other hand the PNSO tyrannosaurus "Winston" is of much better quality than the one of Rebor. What I say PNSO is a lot of PNSO and I would like to Rebor resemble that great and inaccessible Chinese company. To each his own. I thought the carnotaurus Rebor only had jaws hinged but the articulated arms reminds me of the sad time of Bullyland and we know how unfortunately it ended. I do not think that happens to Rebor but honestly I am seriously thinking now about buying the Rebor carnotaurus, for that I spend on Dejankinds Sega dinosaurs (by the way fabulous especially for children and well made) and they are cheaper.

I thought that the last velociraptor with moving arms was an exception, but I see that Rebor has taken some courses that I do not like at all. It's a shame they make the figures with so many articulated pieces. First of all thanks for the information.

tanystropheus

Does the base have a light-up function or is that an illusion because of the way things are painted?

Loon

I think this figure's grown on me, I do agree with some others, though, about the tail looking unnaturally flexible. However, the problem I still think urks me the most is the arms. I think the articulation only exemplifies my problem with them; they do seem overly large, and the articulation implies a functionality that I don't thing was there.

Reptilia

That's a fair point, Carnotaurus arms were likely just vestigial.

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: Reptilia on April 28, 2017, 12:37:09 AM
That's a fair point, Carnotaurus arms were likely just vestigial.
You have to remember though, even though Carnotaurus's arms were vestigial doesn't mean it couldn't move them. In fact, abelisaurid arms had more flexibility than in any other dinosaur species. They could stick their arms out to the side causing some to believe that Carnotaurus and other abelisaurids had decorations on their arms. Here is an example of that:

Reptilia

I think it's one of the possibilities. I seem to remember, not 100% sure, that Andrea Cau once hypothesized that Carnotaurus arms weren't even visible in life, just a kind of residual bony structure under skin. In all honesty though, arm articulation is the last thing you need on a Carnotaurus figure.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: