You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

I'm curious,... what are your five most favoured Dinosaur figures....

Started by Lanthanotus, August 04, 2016, 08:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvanusaurus

I'm just going to bite the bullet and do this thing. I'll probably change my mind when I remember something else in an hour's time, but what can you do?
I'm only basing it on figures I own. In no particular order, and purely based on personal appreciation rather than any standard of quality/accuracy:
- Schleich Replicasaurus Baryonyx (say what you will, but this little guy captured my heart and I spent a long time trying to get him)
- Tsukuda 'Brontosaurus' (it's very dated but I love the size, sense of weight, and the character in it's beady eyes)
- Happinet large Vinyl Tyrannasaurus rex (It's hard to pick between this guy and the big red Sega rex, they are about the same size and quite similar in many respects, but I find the Happinet to be more dynamic and natural looking. Both are wonderfully imposing figures)
- Papo Kaprosuchus (I think this is a truly stunning figure, and is papo at their best, it just looks so believable as a real animal. It's hard to believe it's a mass produced toy!)
- Bullyland Paratypothorax (I love all bullyland's older museum figures, but this little fellow is possibly the most fundamentally pleasant figure I've ever owned. I smile just to look upon him)

And an honourable mention goes to this Megalosaurus:

He was in fact the first dinosaur in my collection, and he will be there until the end.

ceratopsian

I found this really tough.  Here goes:

CollectA Medusaceratops - for some reason I love both the rather wild colours and the pose
Carnegie Maiasaura on nest - a symbol in my mind for the Dinosaur Revolution and how views have changed over my lifetime (even though I know it's a hopeless inaccurate model)
Schleich Kentrosaurus - love the attitude and the colours (and the only Schleich I own!)
CollectA Kosmoceratops - not sure why but I love him!  I think somehow my excitement over newly found and named dinosaurs crystallises round this model.
Battat Pachyrhinosaurus - reminds me of all the excitement over the re-issue of old Battats and new Battats

Honourable mention and almost made it: CollectA Daxiatitan.

Bokisaurus

postsaurischian

Cool shot, Boki :).     ....... will the Battat Diplodocus ever be re-released :-\?

Five most favoured Dinosaur figures? I cannot answer the question.
But being asked: "You have to give your collection away. You're only allowed to keep five. Which ones would you keep?" or
"Which five Dinosaur figures would you take with you on a desert-island?",
I would say one of each of the five big old suborders and all five in 1:20. Here we go:

~  Sideshow Dinosauria  Tyrannosaurus rex  (Theropoda)
~  Sideshow Dinosauria  Apatosaurus  (Sauropodomorpha)
~  Kaiyodo Mega Sofubi Advanced  Triceratops  (Ceratopsia)
~  Kaiyodo Dinoland  Stegosaurus  (Thyreophora)
~  Rader Studios  Brachylophosaurus goodwini  (Ornithopoda)

I will maybe do that one day. So be prepared for a huge sale thread in a few years ;D ;D!

The Atroxious

1. Schleich Griffon Vulture (An incredibly detailed model of my favorite kind of bird.)

2. Carnegie Beipiaosaurus (When I saw this in a local store I fell in love with it. The long neck! The scythe claws! The beaky face! It was this guy who inspired me to start collecting non-avian dinosaurs instead of just sticking to birds.)

3. Kaiyodo Copepteryx (Once again, I fell in love with it the first time I saw it, which was, incidentally, on this blog. This guy almost looks like a character in a bird version of The Secret of Nimh. I've never seen a dinosaur toy with quite as much personality. He looks cold, calculating, and regal, perhaps a bit Machiavellian. If any dinosaur toy could be described as "alluring" my vote is on Copepteryx.)

4. CollectA Deluxe Therizinosaurus (What can I say? I like Therizinosaurs a whole lot, and this is probably the best example of one next to the Caregie Beipiaosaurus. I have a few minor complaints about it, such as the unfeathered belly and hands, the strangely shaped secondaries, and the musculature about the hips and tail that just looks off to me somehow, but those are minor issues to me compared to how happy I am to have a plausible, attractive Therizinosaurus model.)

5. Carnegie Velociraptor (I can't fully explain why I like this one as much as I do. The missing primaries is a rather vexing inaccuracy, and I tend to be somewhat particular when it comes to accuracy, but this Velociraptor has a certain charisma that I can't ignore. I wasn't even planning on buying it, but when I saw it in person, I had to have it. In spite of the missing primaries, it's still more accurate than 99% of the Velociraptor toys on the market. It has the characteristic long, slinky physique, upturned rostrum, and fleshy "eyebrows" as opposed to bony horns. I look at it and I can believe that it's a Velociraptor, which doesn't happen with most toys of the genus.)

I was tempted to list the Papo Allosaurus, as many before me have done, but as much as I like that particular model, it was edged out by Therizinosaurus on account of preference for the latter genus, and Velociraptor, for which I have an inexplicable fondness. It was a close call, but Allosaurus lost by a hair. (By a feather?)

BlueKrono

1. Marx Kronosaurus - Duh.
2. CollectA Ichthyovenator - the only company that makes a model of my favorite true dinosaur.
3. Play Visions Andrewsarchus - My favorite depiction of the coolest mammal that ever lived.
4. Safari Amebelodon - the best shovel-tusker model out there, IMHO.
5. that scaly plesiosaur I have that apparently is circa 1981. Unknown company. Has a squeaker. Green, almost like armor plating. Beyond cool.

Runner up: Couldn't include this since I don't yet own it, but the Play Visions Gerrothorax. If ANYONE has this and is willing to part with it, please get ahold of me! #1 most wanted figure.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Daspletotyrannus

1. Battat Ouranosaurus
2. Safari Yutyrannus
3. Carnegie Corythosaurus
4. Battat Tyrannosaurus
5. Favorite Ankylosaurus or Battat Parasaurolophus or Battat Styracosaurus

Number five hard for me to pick. Lol

DC

Schliech Desmatosuchus
Bullyland Tyrannosurus red bipedal
CollectA Swimming Spinosurus
Wild Safari Leptoceratops and Postosuchus

You can never have too many dinosaurs

DinoToyForum

Difficult. My opinion could change at any time, but, right now I'd say:

1. Invicta plesiosaur
2. Carnegie Camarasaurus
3. Toyway Ophthalmosaurus
4. Invicta Brachiosaurus
5. Papo Allosaurus

Quote from: BlueKrono on October 05, 2016, 12:41:45 AM

5. that scaly plesiosaur I have that apparently is circa 1981. Unknown company. Has a squeaker. Green, almost like armor plating. Beyond cool.

Then you'll appreciate the first 15 seconds of this video then ;)
https://youtu.be/laLq8qxywgk

CarnegieCollector

Oh, that's hard to limit it down to 5 favorites. I love all my dinosaurs. But if I had to chose...

Carnegie 2009 Spinosaurus
Battat tyrannosaurus
Carnegie Elasmosaurus (new one)
CollectA mosasaurus
Carnegie Mosasaurus(someone has to give the guy some love)
Is there an alternate universe in which dinosaurs collect figures of people?

Archinto

Its too difficult for me to say which are my favorites, as that changes all the time, but id say my most cherished figures in my collection currently are (in no particular order)

Miller Dimetrodon
Orsenigo Ankylosaurus
Dino-Riders T-Rex
Starlux Iguanadon (I call him dirty iggy)
Jurassic Park JP09 T-Rex

I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

vmi

Nebuloid

I'm leaving out all resin statues etc, so :

Favorite Velociraptor
Tyco Protoceratops
Safari Gryposaurus
Collecta Beishanlong
Collecta Jobaria

Plus about 20 more... ::)

Nanuqsaurus

Well, I have a rather small collection, so it won't be easy to pick out five favorites! :P But I'm gonna try:

1. Schleich Pentaceratops, dynamic pose, beautiful sculpt, really stands out in my collection.
2. CollectA Torvosaurus, nice colors, looks like a green iguana which is one of my favorite animals, also very realistic pose.
3. Papo Styracosaurus, most detailed figure I have, looks very alive and dramatic.
4. Safari Yutyrannus, because I just love feathered Tyrannosaurs.
5. Schleich Kentrosaurus, same reason as the Pentaceratops, one of the better Schleichs available.

Killekor

My favorite figures are:

My (Repainted) CollectA Deluxe Spinosaurus

My (Repainted) Papo Dimetrodon

My (Repainted) CollectA Iguanodon

My Carnegie Tanystropheus (2007 version)

My REBOR Velociraptor Triplets p.

You can see My favorite first three models in my repaints thread.

Predasaurskillekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Neosodon

1. Wild Safari Shunosaurus
2. Collecta Daxititan
3. Wild Safari Saurapelta
4. Wild Safari Nausutoceratops
5. Collecta Gastonia

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Shonisaurus

My five favorite dinosaurs:

Carnegie: Diplodocus (latest version)

Collecta: Tyrannosaurus rex feathered

Safari: Sauropelta

Bullyland: Lambeosaurus

Battat: Tyrannosaurus rex

Zhuchengotyrant

This is an insanely hard question! But, after much thought, I would choose:

•Original Wild Safari Suchomimus
•CollectA Gigantspinosaurus
•Carnegie Corythosaurus
•Battat Terra Dacentrurus
•Favorite Sinoceratops
-Zhuchengotyrant

Minmiminime

Ooh, tricky...I can only give my number 1 favourite because it will never change or be surpassed, and that is the Papo Allosaurus. This model reinvigorated my interest in prehistory, thereby leading me back to a more contented place in myself. I was so impressed with its quality, poise and presence it led me to develop a healthy, growing collection (well over 100 models) of toy dinosaurs and literature. She ain't accurate, but she'll always be the most precious member of my collection ^-^

And of course, I may never have been able to allow my interest to flower again at all without the love, support, tolerance and encouragement of my other half..!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: