News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM

Started by dragon53, August 10, 2016, 06:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PumperKrickel

deleted

WarrenJB

Quote from: SuperiorSpider on May 20, 2017, 09:49:36 AM
Another day, another comment about the lack of feathered dinosaurs in the Jurassic World universe.  ::)

Erm... another day, another comment about comments about feathered dinosaurs in the Jurassic World universe rolly eyes?

The comment was about made-up hybrid scarymurderawesomebrosaurs.

CityRaptor

"Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth."
Various JP media actually points out that genetically pure Raptors would have feathers.

Although if the Ceratopsian is a Hybrid, why does the skull look like it is fossilized?

And if there are more Hybrids, I wonder if we will see the Stegoceratops, now that it has a different director and the reason it was not used in the movie ( RIP Carrie Fisher ) is no more. 
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

stargatedalek

I really don't mind hybrids, let alone the same naked raptors as the other films. Every single animal in this universe was a hybrid from the very beginning anyway, just not so bold about it.

PumperKrickel

deleted

Faelrin

It's not like they couldn't introduce a creature unused before like Archaeopteryx or Microraptor that was feathered. At the same time I'd rather they didn't. Wouldn't want those hideous half-bird, half-lizard monstrosities they'd probably do. They probably would exclude the primaries just to pronate their wrists. Omitting the primaries just makes for a downright ugly creature for me.

In the case of the raptors not having feathers in the future, I'd say it was for consistency reasons, but then JPIII went and happened with the quilled raptors, although JW went back to the classic design minus the gene splicing for their unique colors. Honestly I'd prefer they got wrist orientation right, before diving into adding feathers or feathered animals. Well that, and fix the shrink wrapping too.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: SuperiorSpider on May 20, 2017, 09:49:36 AM
Another day, another comment about the lack of feathered dinosaurs in the Jurassic World universe.  ::)

Complaining about modern science and Jurassic World's lack thereof is pretty much a right of passage at this point. I'd be surprised if a JW thread didn't go one page without it to be honest. Not that the scientific inaccuracies shouldn't be pointed out, but doing it here is preaching to the choir.

Derek.McManus

I think I've mentioned his before but I feel that the Jurassic Park franchise never strove for realism but always hid behind version 4.1 though having been to see the movies with average public, they loved it! Lol bums on seats as they say in the UK!

Neosodon

Quote from: SuperiorSpider on May 20, 2017, 05:30:22 PM
The "problem" is that the unrealistic designs are too popular now. They could easily find reasons to present updated dinosaurs. Maybe they found more complete dna, maybe a rival company filled the gaps with bird dna instead of frogs. I just don´t think the general audiences would accept a feathered rex or smaller raptors, because the original designs are too iconic at this point.
A feathered T Rex would be a little too controversial. Starting off with dinosaurs we know for sure had feathers like dino birds and dromeosaurs while keeping T Rex scaly would please the science and dinosaur enthusiasts without upseting the scale loving JP fans too much.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

PumperKrickel

deleted

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: SuperiorSpider on May 21, 2017, 10:15:29 AM
Quote from: Neosodon on May 21, 2017, 01:55:10 AM
A feathered T Rex would be a little too controversial. Starting off with dinosaurs we know for sure had feathers like dino birds and dromeosaurs while keeping T Rex scaly would please the science and dinosaur enthusiasts without upseting the scale loving JP fans too much.

Simply feathering them wouldn´t be enough, though, would it? They´d have to either shrink the Velociraptors down or call them Utahraptors in the future. They´d also have to fix numerous anatomical errors plus the shrink-wrapping. The raptors are the mascots of the franchise, changing their appearance this drastically would likely upset the entire fanbase. Jurassic World was their one chance they had at establishing more realistic designs in the franchise, it could have been a fresh start. Yet they embraced the unrealistic designs for nostalgia reasons, so I feel like people just have to accept the series for what it is: Awesomebro (even though I hate that term).

I think this is a perfect mix between accurate and scary. Definitely wouldn't mind it if the raptors looked like this in the movies.

Neosodon

Quote from: SuperiorSpider on May 21, 2017, 10:15:29 AM
Quote from: Neosodon on May 21, 2017, 01:55:10 AM

Simply feathering them wouldn´t be enough, though, would it? They´d have to either shrink the Velociraptors down or call them Utahraptors in the future. They´d also have to fix numerous anatomical errors plus the shrink-wrapping. The raptors are the mascots of the franchise, changing their appearance this drastically would likely upset the entire fanbase. Jurassic World was their one chance they had at establishing more realistic designs in the franchise, it could have been a fresh start. Yet they embraced the unrealistic designs for nostalgia reasons, so I feel like people just have to accept the series for what it is: Awesomebro (even though I hate that term).
The Shrink wrapping actually isn't that bad. They are shrink wrapped around the eyes but overall they are actually kind of fat. They even have lips. If they added feathers, correctly positioned the wrists and made them Deinonichus's instead of Velocaraptors they would not be that horribly inaccurate. So yea, still a ways to go but at least they got some of it right.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Jose S.M.

I don't think they are going to feather the raptor or Tyrannosaurus, and that the designs are not going to 've changed drastically, but I don't think fixing the hands position will be that hard, it's a small changed and looking at those raptors, the pronated hands looks so awkward that it would be an improvement to fix them.

dragon53

JURASSIC WORLD 2--producer Frank Marshall posted a photo welcoming Jeff Goldblum back as Ian Malcolm.

dragon53

JURASSIC WORLD 2---poster released for the sequel's official title of JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM.

Reptilia

Oh no, this title sounds a lot like a TLW reboot.

Takama

Quote from: Reptilia on June 22, 2017, 08:06:49 PM
Oh no, this title sounds a lot like a TLW reboot.

Thats EXACTLY what i was thinkning this will turn out to be.

Faelrin

I'm not completely sure it will be. While the fact the crew have been hinting at it being darker then JW (which TLW was in comparison to the original), it looks like they will be heading in a new direction with the potential volcanic eruption and the whole "save the dinosaurs" thing that has been hinted at several times. Then there's the guy who is playing Hammond's old partner that as far as I'm aware, was never mentioned in the prior movies, and who knows what role he'll come to play yet (hopefully he's not Ludlow 2.0).

I guess until there's more revealed behind the title, I'm just going to headcanon it as Rexy's kingdom (since she's often considered the queen of Isla Nublar) having fallen (due to the potential volcanic eruption).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Reptilia

Didn't hear anything about volcanic eruptions cause I haven't followed that much the news and rumours of the past months, but I think that the general idea of coming back on the island where now the dinosaurs live free would be a disappointing scenario. They did two movies with this basic plot, TLW and JP3, so I hope they will come up with an entirely different story this time around. The first one was already an homage to the original film, it's time to change things a bit. At least I hope so, but the title isn't anything promising in that sense.

Neosodon

I'm assuming the movie will pick up were the last Jurassic World ended - with the park running fine. The dark background with the red sparks makes me think there will be a volcanic eruption, fire or some type of disaster.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: