News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM

Started by dragon53, August 10, 2016, 06:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jose S.M.

I was excited for new and more accurate dinosaur designs when they announced the new series, but after seen JW I lost any hopes of that, I'm  just going to wait for the full trailers and more info to see if I will watch it on theater or not.

ITdactyl

Quote from: Takama on December 05, 2017, 07:08:23 PM
Apparently, this is A Baryonyx

Oh wow, an animal that is not at all affected by/avoiding that flowing lava.  So realistic.

Kidding. I've long accepted that this is popcorn entertainment.  After all, in the first movie, Rexie ate a goat, a lawyer, an adult Gallimimus and still kept hunting.

PumperKrickel

deleted

Joey

Man, it looks nothing like the one showcased on the JW website, atleast that one had an accurate head.

Takama

Curretly watching Ellan, and Chriss Prat and Bryce Dallas  Howard are on todays show and we can expect yet, another tease for the trailor

Edit

It was a joke,    a joke from the show.   Either way, the two stars are talking about Jurassic World 2 on her show now

alexeratops

Quote from: ITdactyl on December 05, 2017, 08:17:59 PM
Quote from: Takama on December 05, 2017, 07:08:23 PM
Apparently, this is A Baryonyx

Oh wow, an animal that is not at all affected by/avoiding that flowing lava.  So realistic.

Kidding. I've long accepted that this is popcorn entertainment.  After all, in the first movie, Rexie ate a goat, a lawyer, an adult Gallimimus and still kept hunting.

The angle could be playing tricks on us, he could be farther away than it seems maybe?
like a bantha!

alexeratops

The Baryonyx is not accurate, but hey, it's Jurassic Park. What're you gonna do?
like a bantha!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: alexeratops on December 05, 2017, 10:35:48 PM
The Baryonyx is not accurate, but hey, it's Jurassic Park. What're you gonna do?

It's not Jurassic Park. Jurassic Park put in some effort.

As the original merch tagline went: "If it's not Jurassic Park, it's extinct". :))

The Atroxious

Quote from: ITdactyl on December 05, 2017, 08:17:59 PM

I'd be less concerned about the dinosaur and more concerned about the people if I were you. That lava/molten metal is practically pouring on top of them. It's a miracle they haven't already burst into flames.

Incidentally, one thing I find kind of amusing about the original movie is how eager the predators are to hunt animals that aren't even close to being their natural prey. A major problem with invasive species centers around the fact that most predators notoriously avoid hunting animals that are unfamiliar to them, leaving the prey animals to reproduce to a point that the environment can't handle that biomass. Seeing all the predators wanting to eat everything that moves is just bizarre. Like, were they engineered in such a way that left them all with bad cases of Prader-Willi syndrome?

Faelrin

I'm really thinking the angle/perspective is altering the look of it. Right now the arms look too small, and the snout seems a bit too short. I'm ignoring the fact the head is a generic retro crocodile-like head, which the JPIII Spinosaurus also had. I also hope it will have those iconic fish-hook claws. I really hope there will be a better clear look at it in the time to come.

I posted this on reddit just a little bit ago, but I think I should post it here too: Honestly hardly any of the dinosaurs in the JP franchise are even close to being scientifically accurate with all the current findings anymore. I've just accepted that they are retro designs at this point, or more appropriately movie monsters. Another important thing is that science marches on. Even if they did update their dinosaur designs to reflect the current evidence with each new film (breaking the consistency of previous designs, like in the case of the JPIII raptors), anything new could come along and make that become outdated in some regard.

Also the lava thing is concerning. Unless it's another issue with the angle of the shot, but even so, they really ought to have some heat protection on. It practically looks to be pouring on the one guy.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Loon

I think it can be summed up as Jurassic Park was accurate for the time it came out, Jurassic World isn't even as accurate as Jurassic Park.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Joey

I going to be completely honest, the Baryonyx looks like this guy:

Simon

Horrific.   >:(

There is no excuse for not rendering an accurate animal that we have good fossils of.  That looks like - I don't even know what, but not like a real dinosaur.  Its got an Alligator head (STRIKE 1), pronated arms (STRIKE 2), and a body that is much too heavy for Baryonyx (STRIKE 3).

I never really planned on seeing this film (I was really disappointed by the reboot), but this cinches it for me.  If Siskel and Ebert were still around, they'd give this stinker 2 THUMBS DOWN.

John

Who do all of you think you are really fooling?You know you will ALL be there on opening day! >:D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Loon

Quote from: John on December 06, 2017, 03:31:51 AM
Who do all of you think you are really fooling?You know you will ALL be there on opening day! >:D

ITdactyl

Quote from: The Atroxious on December 05, 2017, 11:21:35 PM

I'd be less concerned about the dinosaur and more concerned about the people if I were you. That lava/molten metal is practically pouring on top of them. It's a miracle they haven't already burst into flames.

It's a Jurassic Park film... no one cares about the people. >:D

I'm kidding.  But we were talking about the "Baryonyx" so I ignored the sapiens with magical high heels.

And yes, I am mocking the design but I'll still definitely watch this in Imax.  I liked "Reign of Fire" so I'm a poor judge of what makes a good film.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: ITdactyl on December 06, 2017, 06:34:18 AM
Quote from: The Atroxious on December 05, 2017, 11:21:35 PM

It's a Jurassic Park film... no one cares about the people. >:D

I'm kidding.  But we were talking about the "Baryonyx" so I ignored the sapiens with magical high heels.

And yes, I am mocking the design but I'll still definitely watch this in Imax.  I liked "Reign of Fire" so I'm a poor judge of what makes a good film.

I liked the sapien with magic high heels..with or without as a matter of fact..lol 

I think Reign of Fire was a very underrated dragon film.  Diff take, cool creature design.. beat The Hobbit's Smaug by a long shot..they were SCARY.   but i digress...

Loon

Really, this film can never compare to the original dinosaur film masterpiece. It was so amazingly accurate to the knowledge at the time; these new movies do it such a disservice. In characters, directing, story, and even, in some sense, cgi, these films are inferior.

Of course, the film I'm talking about is
Cowboys vs. Dinosaurs:

Flaffy

In JW, Dr Wu hinted, or rather stated that many of the dinosaurs (and others) we see in the film were deliberately made this way. Yes it's a lame and lazy excuse for those ugly grey abominations but it was an explanation nonetheless. If the baryonyx was made prior to JW's events, then it would explain it's ugly inaccurate design.
Would be really interesting to see the franchise expand on this, creating purer and purer non-avian dinosaurs to the point where it's almost accurate to scientific knowledge. Or if they feel like disgusting wrinkly CGI monsters are more interesting, it would be nice to see them at least address that creating near-accurate dinosaurs is possible.
But in the end, this is most likely going to be another summer flick where you lower all your expectations and see how many ways people can die to prehistoric monsters.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: