News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM

Started by dragon53, August 10, 2016, 06:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Loon on December 08, 2017, 04:58:59 AM
Some real firsts in this trailer! The first feathered non-avian dinosaur in the Jurassic franchise is spotted in this trailer.

On the right hand side, behind the large Rex, it's

the schleich Utahraptor...
...how fitting...

Could the big T. rex toy on the right be this one reviewed on the blog this week?: http://dinotoyblog.com/2017/12/02/tyrannosaurus-rex-unknown-company-walmart/

suspsy

Or it could be the Animal Planet one from TRU---which I suspect the Walmart version is ripped off from:

https://www.toysrus.com/buy/animals-dinosaurs/animal-planet-t-rex-grey-t1208a-2330750
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

DinoToyForum

Quote from: DerbesSchuhwerk on December 08, 2017, 06:51:02 PM
The scene with the drowning dinosaurs, reminded me of a drawing by Douglas Henderson.

Yeah, you're right, very similar!

Albertosaurus

Quote from: Loon on December 08, 2017, 06:35:39 PM
Quote from: Albertosaurus on December 08, 2017, 07:03:41 AM
You haven't seen the original JP from 1993 ending, right?.....
I said non-avian dinosaurs, the pelicans don't count.

The comment was for ZoPteryx

Reptilia

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on December 08, 2017, 04:10:50 PM
My brother showed me some YouTube videos of people reacting to the trailer and almost no one knew about Baryonyx, surprisingly despite being in the Disney Dinosaur movie, lots of people didn't knew about Carnotaurus either, some even called a new hybrid.

I saw a guy's video where he says JP was an important part of his childhood and then while watching he calls the compies "Troodon". I prefer this sort of naivety though to the overanalyzing fussiness regarding scientific inaccuracies, CGI and all the rest. Those films are meant to entertain a wide range of different people, shouldn't be taken as anything serious.

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Digibasherx

Some real firsts in this trailer! The first feathered non-avian dinosaur in the Jurassic franchise is spotted in this trailer.

...how fitting...

You can definitely see a lot of Hasbro toys, and the JP green Allosaurus from the dino rampage with the G.I.Joe.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Reptilia

That theropod roaring at the gyrosphere in the eruption scene must be Metriacanthosaurus, it was in the JW site list and makes more sense than Allosaurus, which, toy lines aside, was never featured anywhere in the franchise, as far as I know.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 09, 2017, 02:49:11 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=35&v=t44CXQGKbmM
Oh, yay...one of those dumb ads that looks like it was captured with a cell phone, cutting off most of the picture.  That said, the fact that they're using animatronics is great as long as they don't overdo it with the cgi enhancements.  And wow, Stygimoloch...isn't that considered juvenile Pachycephalosaurus now or something?
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

BlueKrono

Quote from: Digibasherx on December 09, 2017, 02:47:22 AM

...how fitting...

You can definitely see a lot of Hasbro toys, and the JP green Allosaurus from the dino rampage with the G.I.Joe.

The one on the far right looks super familiar. Is that a CollectA?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

stargatedalek

Quote from: suspsy on December 09, 2017, 02:25:04 AM
I rather enjoyed reading this:

http://on.io9.com/CaS3cUs
I enjoyed the first bit, but come on, just because an animal eats humans doesn't mean it should be left to die or exterminated. Should we just kill all the bears while we're at it?

There are a host of reasons why making "dinosaur rights" a central plot point could go catastrophically wrong, but "they eat people so they should all be destroyed no question" is not a valid one.

Loon

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 09, 2017, 03:52:51 AM

I enjoyed the first bit, but come on, just because an animal eats humans doesn't mean it should be left to die or exterminated. Should we just kill all the bears while we're at it?

There are a host of reasons why making "dinosaur rights" a central plot point could go catastrophically wrong, but "they eat people so they should all be destroyed no question" is not a valid one.
Yeah a lot of people still have a very old school outlook on non-human animals as completely unlike us, violent and mindless monsters.

Neosodon

Quote from: Loon on December 09, 2017, 04:24:39 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on December 09, 2017, 03:52:51 AM

Yeah a lot of people still have a very old school outlook on non-human animals as completely unlike us, violent and mindless monsters.
Very few people think that way about most modern animals. That sentiment seems to be more directed toward prehistoric animals like dinosaurs. And the stereotype is largely influenced by JP. Take the trailer for example. Like a Carnotorus is going to stop in the middle of a stampede and volcano to chase after a couple humans as if it is so bloodthirsty that it can't resist the urge to kill a couple small mammals even in the midst of a life threatening situation.

I do somewhat agree that the idea of trying to save all the dinosaurs on a volcanic island as a moral thing is a bit silly. Do we send out huge rescue operations to save every critter every time some island in the pacific goes volcanic. So why would hundreds of people go out and risk their lives in an mostly futile attempt to save a bunch of dinosaurs a large portion carnivorous or dangerous. I like dinosaurs and a movie about saving them sounds nice. I used to come up with similar stories when I was 7. But for the movie to be logical and realistic the plot doesn't work so well. If they were rescuing the dinosaurs for their scientific value and that as a rare and endangered species it would make more sense. But since a large portion of the audience will probably be kids and the franchise isn't really geared towards being realistic I don't really have a problem with it.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Faelrin

Okay I just noticed the trees in the shot with the compy in front of the toys are the Safari Ltd ones, after inspecting this pic further. I was curious so using my Agathis tree model as a reference (which is in front of the compy), which seems to be about two and a half of those trees in height, that puts the compy out at about 44cm/17.5 inches.

I also think it's funny the repaint of the Dilophosaurus growler is there, considering that came out a year after JW did. Ditto with the Schleich Utahraptor being present as that was released this year. I also think it is a little odd we get a feathered JP styled raptor toy in a movie with said unfeathered JP raptors. It may be minor, but it does contradict the nature of the creatures we see, lol.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on December 09, 2017, 03:18:48 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 09, 2017, 02:49:11 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=35&v=t44CXQGKbmM
Oh, yay...one of those dumb ads that looks like it was captured with a cell phone, cutting off most of the picture.  That said, the fact that they're using animatronics is great as long as they don't overdo it with the cgi enhancements.  And wow, Stygimoloch...isn't that considered juvenile Pachycephalosaurus now or something?

I didn't film it, just the only link i found to it.  better than sideways at any rate.  more views and it says the mosasaur is back too.

yep but not sure if the theory is 100% valid.

HD-man

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 08, 2017, 03:03:08 AMRex now looks like it should, Rexy in JW looked really weird and unnaturally thin. +10

Gallimimus also looks like it should have before. +10

Trike and Anky actually seem to be improved a little bit, old designs were still better overall, but there is a noticeable improvement since JW. +10 for the pair.

Compys design is untouched. Heartily biased +30 (should be +10)

Baryonyx doesn't look that good to me, nothing in particular wrong with it, it's just kind of boring. -5

Allo also looks kind of boring, and weirdly similar to the Papo one actually (not that the irony of that is lost on me). -5 again for lost potential, both of these could have easily been so much better than they are with just some more colour.

Pteranodon looks the same to me, some people are saying it looks thicker but I don't see it. Wasn't expecting that to actually change, but still -5.

The large herbivores bounce around like they're made of jello, reminiscent of King Kong indeed. -5

The Carnotaurus looks very cool I won't deny, but its design still doesn't feel stylistically consistent with the original designs. Only a +5

Brachiosaurus what have they done to you?! -10

Is that improved cinematography I spy?! Only minimal use of those aerial drone shots that JW spammed at us and some proper ground level shots? +10

New ceratopsian (Centrosaurus?) looks really plain and bland, if it's not going to be noticeable or good looking why even add it? -10

Trailer gets a +40 from me. Whatever that means. :P

;) Scott Steiner math?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msDuNZyYAIQ
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Flaffy

Minmiminime

That is hilarious, Flaffyraptors ;D I just watched the trailer. Looks like it's going to be every bit as daft as the Transformers franchise. It looks like Tropic Thunder with monsters. It made me laugh a lot. It's a shame they didn't do a bit of role-reversal and copy Papo's Baryonyx, because it would have looked a lot better than that thing!! 😹

I'll still go and see it though, and I will hate myself for it even though it will make me laugh :o
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Brontozaurus

What I want to know is if this trailer is just from the first 57 minutes, and the film is probably 2 hours or more, what's going on in the second half? Like if the island blows up halfway through then that's the whole saving dinosaurs thing done with.

I'm not confident it'll end up being a good second half.  :P
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: