News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM

Started by dragon53, August 10, 2016, 06:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Reptilia on February 05, 2018, 12:16:51 AM
Blue fights the Indoraptor to protect Owen, I said it.

I might be wrong but I get the impression that the hybrid is not on Nublar, it must have been breed in the Lockwood manor.

Cool stuff.

Edit: they probably brought the Indoraptor to the Lockwood manor, from the island.

The little girl said something like " we made it" in the trailer.

I like it, looks like the Baryonyx is being saved lol 

The Indoraptor gave me a real " Alien" vibe  :

I wonder if that "big release" scene is how we get the real meaning of " Jurassic World" Colin talked about?

Rain

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 05, 2018, 01:21:21 AM

I might be wrong but I get the impression that the hybrid is not on Nublar, it must have been breed in the Lockwood manor.

Cool stuff.

Edit: they probably brought the Indoraptor to the Lockwood manor, from the island.

I wonder if that "big release" scene is how we get the real meaning of " Jurassic World" Colin talked about?

I was waiting to see if someone else would mention that, I felt the same way.

ITdactyl

I prefer Ian Malcolm's advert for Jeep(TM)  ;D

kidding.  'Have to admit, the scene with the child is creepy

On a weird side note, I've been having this sad vibe for that brachiosaur since the first teaser.  I don't think there's a feasible [and quick] way for a sauropod that size to be "rescued".  After the apatosaur massacre, I'm hoping I'm wrong.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Rain on February 05, 2018, 02:10:56 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 05, 2018, 01:21:21 AM

Cool stuff.

I was waiting to see if someone else would mention that, I felt the same way.

The teeth hissing/chattering like 1:20 :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odE3uchCxzU

Quote from: ITdactyl on February 05, 2018, 03:00:01 AM
I prefer Ian Malcolm's advert for Jeep(TM)  ;D

kidding.  'Have to admit, the scene with the child is creepy

On a weird side note, I've been having this sad vibe for that brachiosaur since the first teaser.  I don't think there's a feasible [and quick] way for a sauropod that size to be "rescued".  After the apatosaur massacre, I'm hoping I'm wrong.

Maybe they will rescue some juveniles?  It did kind of sound like it was welcoming the group as well as saying " goodbye". 

Neosodon

Indoraptor? You think thy would have gotten the clue after Indominus. I wonder what the story behind this one is going to be.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Flaffy

Oh look another boring Indominus, but this time bite sized and dark coloured, sooo interesting....
But so far the story seems interesting, "darker" is not a word I would use as of now, but it seems like this time the "greedy evil" companies finally got something done and succeeded (creation of the Indoraptor) rather than being sabotaged by our main protagonists, opens a whole new window on how the series can develop since the creatures aren't stuck on the mainland anymore.

PhilSauria

While I like these films on certain levels it is a source of frustration to me that they have had to introduce genetically engineered creatures when there are more than enough actual Dinosaurs species known that could be used if the writers were imaginative and creative enough! And I know that the Dinosaurs themselves were 'revived' that way, but you know what I mean.

Faelrin

I too got those Alien Xenomorph vibes from watching the Indoraptor in that trailer. In that case, black suits it. I might need to check it out again later or tomorrow. Also in case anyone is interested the Dinosaur Protection website thing is up: http://www.dinosaurprotectiongroup.com/

It lists several dinosaurs names in red in the one image. Going off the updated JW website (which lists most dinosaurs in the park endangered, the I. rex extinct, and the Mosasaurus missing), it's probably safe to say those species are extinct again. What's interesting is that Sinoceratops is nowhere on that list, so that probably means the new ceratopsian really is intended to be Pachyrhinosaurus, although it is a terrible representation if that is the case (aka looks nothing like it). Styracosaurus is also in red so that probably confirms that new ceratopsian is not a Styracosaurus either. Ultimately its poorly done whatever it ends up being.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: PhilSauria on February 05, 2018, 05:07:30 AM
While I like these films on certain levels it is a source of frustration to me that they have had to introduce genetically engineered creatures when there are more than enough actual Dinosaurs species known that could be used if the writers were imaginative and creative enough! And I know that the Dinosaurs themselves were 'revived' that way, but you know what I mean.

I think you are missing the point. The Indoraptor doesn't exist because universal ran out if ideas, it exists because the story that Trevarrow and co. want to tell relies on it. Hybrids are the next step in the story, just having it be a Giganotosaurus or Neovenator wouldn't work.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Exactly.  It's designed to be a villain, a monster that can be used as such that isn't a beloved dinosaur. Look at the reactions people had to Rexy stomping a Carnotaurus. It was a complain-fest.  It's the same deal as the I-Rex really,  though I did get a bit of a Frankenstein's monster feel with her.  She was practically insane and the only thing to do was to put her down. 

The Indoraptor was hinted at in JW by Hoskins, he told Owen to just imagine smaller human sized versions of the Indominus with the same abilities.  This creature is a living weapon, active camo, able to hide it's body heat, and smart.

PhilSauria

Fair enough, I see your point, speaking of points; and I guess it does make sense when you look at it that way. And thanks for sticking to the topic in your response - I don't comment on many forums at all these days because all too often an observation such as the one I made would provoke more put downs and personal attacks than clarification and explanation. Guess the DTF does what it says on the label and seems to be friendly after all.

Neosodon

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 05, 2018, 06:57:46 AM
Exactly.  It's designed to be a villain, a monster that can be used as such that isn't a beloved dinosaur. Look at the reactions people had to Rexy stomping a Carnotaurus. It was a complain-fest.  It's the same deal as the I-Rex really,  though I did get a bit of a Frankenstein's monster feel with her.  She was practically insane and the only thing to do was to put her down. 
Yeah, although it is nice to see real dinosaurs in the action it just doesn't seem right having one as the villain.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

stargatedalek

I have nothing against the use of hybrids, I just wish they were more unique. Indominus was just a giant white theropod, the Indoraptor is at least recognizably "unnatural" in comparison to the other dinosaurs, though I'd still rather they commit all the way and give us a Chaos Effect tier hybrid monster. Give it glowing patterns, spikes, the works!

What bothers me is this soft reboot nonsense. This film is clearly setting out to be a bastardization of The Lost World. And before people jump down my throat I fully acknowledge that The Lost World has its flaws, in fact it may well be the weakest JP film from a "cinematic perspective". It has terrible character writing, it feels rushed, it has Vince Vaughn in it, and the point could be made that most of the visual styling of individual scenes is more or less directly reused from the first film. But even with all of that The Lost World does a spectacular job of presenting its thematic topics as neutrally and well rounded as films ever manage to be. It has environmental themes, but it doesn't outright condemn animal captivity, instead focusing on what methods are used to obtain animals, and the film goes pretty far out of its way to show us that most of "the hunters" are doing what they do for genuine reasons and establishes that very few of them could really be considered as villains.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom however has established well ahead of release that it's going to follow an anti-captivity theme, and the director has even said (in reference to this films development at that) that he considers zoos to be animal abuse.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 05, 2018, 03:43:57 PM
I have nothing against the use of hybrids, I just wish they were more unique. Indominus was just a giant white theropod, the Indoraptor is at least recognizably "unnatural" in comparison to the other dinosaurs, though I'd still rather they commit all the way and give us a Chaos Effect tier hybrid monster. Give it glowing patterns, spikes, the works!

What bothers me is this soft reboot nonsense. This film is clearly setting out to be a bastardization of The Lost World. And before people jump down my throat I fully acknowledge that The Lost World has its flaws, in fact it may well be the weakest JP film from a "cinematic perspective". It has terrible character writing, it feels rushed, it has Vince Vaughn in it, and the point could be made that most of the visual styling of individual scenes is more or less directly reused from the first film. But even with all of that The Lost World does a spectacular job of presenting its thematic topics as neutrally and well rounded as films ever manage to be. It has environmental themes, but it doesn't outright condemn animal captivity, instead focusing on what methods are used to obtain animals, and the film goes pretty far out of its way to show us that most of "the hunters" are doing what they do for genuine reasons and establishes that very few of them could really be considered as villains.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom however has established well ahead of release that it's going to follow an anti-captivity theme, and the director has even said (in reference to this films development at that) that he considers zoos to be animal abuse.

I can see that.  I expect we might get more variety later,  military factions always want the latest weapons,  they will introduce the Indoraptor and then later they will need something else.  Unless they create swarms of this creature it's not going to be able to defeat an entire battalion, like tanks, ect..  on an open battlefield.   Stick it in the jungle or forest and it will work..but open desert say?   I think they might make more, larger weapons, the heavy hitters.  Unless this whole militant plot is nipped in the bud. 

I like the term Requel better,  it is a sequel but it shares similar themes.   I was put off by The Lost World in general when it deviated so heavily from the book Crichton wrote.  It had almost no connection whatsoever.   That said the effects were good, even if the characters were a half formed and the whole thing feels rushed.  I still like watching it.     I think only Roland and Ajay are really sympathetic, and they even cut his scene which established him as a man of principles.  He's a " dinosaur" himself,  very much out of his proper time.  That alone is  common theme, Richard Boone in The Last Dinosaur, David Drake's Vickers character,  and the book A Gun for Dinosaur .   The rest of the team were just hired to do a job.  Well Burke wanted to be there,  Ludlow was a villain I think..in the typical greedy corporate way. 

Looking over the new "take over " Jurassic World site  yeah they are really going Greenpeace here or maybe even Sea Shepard?  Feels very aggressive even though the main site for the Dinosaur Protection Group is all kids and smiles.    I'm not against zoos in the least or even a properly run circus.  But it feels like a lot of the things I see on social media and my guess is that is the point.

WarrenJB

This creature is a living weapon

I don't know if that's as much of a draw as it's intended it to be, at least where I'm sitting. After xenomorphs, piranhas, werewolves, hulks etc. etc. the idea of an out-of-control shady military zoology project is a little tired.

People these days poke fun at old Marvel comics for the 'mysterious, unknowable effects of radiation' kicking off all sorts of pseudomagical powers, creatures, and plotlines. I have a feeling future nerds and screen junkies will laugh at us for thinking the same of bioweapons.

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 05, 2018, 03:43:57 PM
I fully acknowledge that The Lost World has its flaws, in fact it may well be the weakest JP film from a "cinematic perspective". It has terrible character writing, it feels rushed, it has Vince Vaughn in it...

Fnar!

Patrx

Mutant dinosaurs as living weapons is basically the opposite of what I would ever want in a high-profile dinosaur movie, especially one that shares a lineage with Jurassic Park  :(. Fallen Kingdom, indeed.

Reptilia

I like how they promote the movies with those sites, the actual park website for JW and now this dinosaur protection group thing. Now the characters make more sense, or better we know what their role is.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: WarrenJB on February 05, 2018, 06:57:54 PM
This creature is a living weapon

I don't know if that's as much of a draw as it's intended it to be, at least where I'm sitting. After xenomorphs, piranhas, werewolves, hulks etc. etc. the idea of an out-of-control shady military zoology project is a little tired.

People these days poke fun at old Marvel comics for the 'mysterious, unknowable effects of radiation' kicking off all sorts of pseudomagical powers, creatures, and plotlines. I have a feeling future nerds and screen junkies will laugh at us for thinking the same of bioweapons.

You really have only so many places to go though.  This was sort of explored in the novels and comics so it's a natural extension...but i really can't think of anything better they could have done.  I wanted Biosyn involved and Dodgson but they would fill the same role as whoever is there now.    I would say I guess Dinosaurs are the draw and they always will be to an extent. 

Quote from: Patrx on February 05, 2018, 07:33:46 PM
Mutant dinosaurs as living weapons is basically the opposite of what I would ever want in a high-profile dinosaur movie, especially one that shares a lineage with Jurassic Park  :(. Fallen Kingdom, indeed.

It's science vs entertainment.  That's the hallmark of Jurassic Park.   Now the way that's presented is totally another thing.

HD-man

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 05, 2018, 03:43:57 PMJurassic World: Fallen Kingdom however has established well ahead of release that it's going to follow an anti-captivity theme, and the director has even said (in reference to this films development at that) that he considers zoos to be animal abuse.

To add to that, most zoos are not only good ( https://www.theguardian.com/science/lost-worlds/2014/aug/19/why-zoos-are-good ), but also "needed - even for common species" ( https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/mar/08/why-the-world-needs-zoos ).

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 06, 2018, 01:30:13 AMYou really have only so many places to go though.  This was sort of explored in the novels and comics so it's a natural extension...but i really can't think of anything better they could have done.

To quote Trish Babbles ( http://babbletrish.blogspot.com/2013/01/in-which-trish-once-again-wonders-if.html ), "About the only thing that might make sense at this point would be a prequel.  Consider that the current writers gave us one of the few recent prequels to a long-running franchise that was actually worth a damn, "Rise of the Planet of the Apes".  And in the novels, there's a lot of implied (and not) backstory which could fuel a good "JP" prequel.   All from memory, since it's been a while: A better explanation of the lysine contingency.  The genetic engineers being asked to make the real live goddamn non-avian dinosaurs look and act more like what people "expect" (in the late 80's remember).  Alan Grant being called in the middle of the night with the question "seriously, what would a baby Miasaura eat?" since the Park scientists have no zookeepers among them and have *no* experience with animals.  Struggles with adapting the animals to modern diseases and parasites.  And of course they could show exactly how the Park scientists learned how unruly the pterosaurs and maniraptors are..."
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Blade-of-the-Moon

A prequel is my guess where they would go after this trilogy is over..that or a total reboot.   I'm surprised Universal really hasn't bothered to update it's Park's with a Jurassic World theme as of yet given the popularity.   It would seem they don't feel the need to which would be explained how?   They could looking to the future where even if rebooted the architecture would roughly remain the same, the animatronic dinos on the rides are easily redone.  Just following a line a thought. 

The Lysine Contingency was more or less explained in the first film where Arnold gave a breakdown of what it was in layman terms, but it had no more focus than that. There was a  conversation between Wu and Masrani where Wu tells him they made what was expected.  Many of learning experiences would be good to see. but putting them together in a coherent 2 hour film could be rough.  Might make a better Jurassic Park: The Series?   I have missed having Biosyn and Dodgson in the film universe, anything that brings them back as a threat would be cool in my book. 

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: