News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

DiNAsaurs

Started by borderland, August 17, 2016, 02:28:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

borderland

After a long, meandering journey I'm close to releasing the first in a series of hybrid dinosaur figures called DiNAsaurs.
Thought I would post an update since thanks go to some of you on here, including Dan of Dan's Dinosaurs,
for advice and assistance along the way.

Apologies to any purists who don't like the idea of fantasy creatures created from dinosaurs.

The first figure is Tyrannodactyl Rex: awe-inspiring hybrid of the King of the Dinosaurs and the King of the Pterosaurs.

Size: Large. About 42" wingspan.
Kit: Resin, in several large pieces. The figure mounts on a clear plastic rod so it looks suspended above the base.
Skill: Requires moderate build up and painting ability.

You'll see some proto-feathers in the crest, the end of the tail and the back of the lower legs.
You can find out more about this and the other two kits at the DiNAsaur Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/DNAsaurs/

Thanks, and enjoy

CarnegieCollector

Wow! It looks awesome! Kinda Like a dragon
Is there an alternate universe in which dinosaurs collect figures of people?

borderland

Quote from: CarnegieCollector on August 17, 2016, 02:33:01 AM
Wow! It looks awesome! Kinda Like a dragon

Sweet, glad you like it!

Thylacosmilus

Hasbro has a lot to learn from your  "Hybrids". I love the Ankallosaur!

borderland

Quote from: Thylacosmilus on August 17, 2016, 01:52:36 PM
Hasbro has a lot to learn from your  "Hybrids". I love the Ankallosaur!

Muchas gracias amigo. Really appreciate the feedback.

CityRaptor

Uh, what kind of Pterosaur was used in that combination? The lack of claws would suggest Nyctosaurus...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

AcroSauroTaurus

My personal opinion, but shouldn't there be more pterosaur in its appearance than just the wings?
I am the Dinosaur King!

Derek.McManus

:) Very nice sculpt, it reminds me of the Wyvern models that Games Workshop released as part of the Orcs and Goblins range in the 1990's...wings and just two legs as opposed to Dragons which tend to be modeled with four legs plus wings!

borderland

Quote from: CityRaptor on August 17, 2016, 03:05:03 PM
Uh, what kind of Pterosaur was used in that combination? The lack of claws would suggest Nyctosaurus...

I suspect you would know more about it than me - sad to say.

However I might now start slinging around 'nyctosaurus' in conversations about it...

borderland

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on August 17, 2016, 03:42:20 PM
My personal opinion, but shouldn't there be more pterosaur in its appearance than just the wings?

What's the saying... Art is never finished, only abandoned?

In most things I've done I look back at some point and see what I would have done differently.
And as a designer I also see many things I'd change in other people's work.
So I know where you're coming from.

borderland

Quote from: Derek.McManus on August 17, 2016, 03:49:29 PM
:) Very nice sculpt, it reminds me of the Wyvern models that Games Workshop released as part of the Orcs and Goblins range in the 1990's...wings and just two legs as opposed to Dragons which tend to be modeled with four legs plus wings!

I looked those Games Workshop models up but not sure if I found the right ones. Appreciate the feedback either way. High praise!

Silvanusaurus

I can't say the design itself is my cup of tea, but the sculpting detail looks pretty incredible.
Is it just me, or is it somewhat amusing that 'Tyrannodactyl rex' would translate as 'Tyrant Finger King'?

CarnegieCollector

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on August 17, 2016, 05:46:35 PM
I can't say the design itself is my cup of tea, but the sculpting detail looks pretty incredible.
Is it just me, or is it somewhat amusing that 'Tyrannodactyl rex' would translate as 'Tyrant Finger King'?
He must have some pretty wicked fingers

borderland

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on August 17, 2016, 05:46:35 PM

Hahah! Let's not go there.

CityRaptor

Having a deep hatred of fingers due to lacking them for the most part, he will do terrible things to others

Quote from: borderland on August 17, 2016, 03:52:07 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on August 17, 2016, 03:05:03 PM

I suspect you would know more about it than me - sad to say.

However I might now start slinging around 'nyctosaurus' in conversations about it...

I take it that you just used a generic Pterosaur, probably the dreaded "Pterodactyl"!
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

yankeetrex

Would love to see what you can do with Regular JP dinos, looks like you have the T-rex head down pat.

acro-man

very impressive.
good job.
think i can get one if i had spare money
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

borderland

I take it that you just used a generic Pterosaur, probably the dreaded "Pterodactyl"![/quote]

Guilty m'lud...

borderland

Quote from: yankeetrex on August 18, 2016, 08:23:30 PM
Would love to see what you can do with Regular JP dinos, looks like you have the T-rex head down pat.

To be clear, I didn't do the sculpture myself. I designed the creature and art-directed the sculptor I hired.

Same process with the Ankallosaur and when I get to it, the Triplodocus.

CarnegieCollector

Ok, it took me awhile to realize that "triplodocus" was a triceratops and a diplodocus. I was thinking it was a "tripod-diplodocus" and was thinking how Intresting a 3 legged sauropod would be.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: