News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

My book collection- image intensive

Started by tyrantqueen, June 05, 2012, 08:34:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

Hi guys,
I'm baaaaaaaaaack and I have new books :D

Firstly I got The Dinosaur Society's Encyclopedia by Don Glut and Don Lessem. I am unsure whether I like this one or not. Many of the illustrations, which are by Gregory S Paul, were reused from his Predatory Dinosaurs of the World. Information is good though, although I wish there could have been more illustration (being a visual person and all)

Then there is this beautiful but outdated book by Don Bolognese (funny name haha). It's not a book for information, but rather a tutorial for drawing.
This one copy I got online was an ex library book, you can see how old this one is XD I am a sucker for retro dinos.

I searched this out in particular because I used to have it when I was a kid, but threw it away :X I'm happy to get ahold of another copy <3

It also includes non dinos such as dimetrodon, flying reptiles, and marine reptiles. There are mammals too, but I didn't photograph them because I find mammals boring :P

Expect more images soon, 'cause I have more books on the way :)

tyrantqueen

More retro goodness.
Charles Knight- the artist who saw through time by Richard Milner. I got it mostly for his old dinosaur paintings, but it focuses on more than just that. It includes his sketches and drawings of extant animals too.

Life Before Man, by Z.V Spinar. Features the work of Zdenek Burian. This is a pretty big book, filled with many large reproductions of his paintings. Funny how there is man on the front cover though XD

[/img]

tyrantqueen

Two more, both in monochrome :)
A First Look at Dinosaurs by Joyce Hunt. I was deceived slightly by this one, because about 2 quarters of the book is actually blank pages :S Very odd. Nonetheless the illustrations are charming.

I dedicate this one to my partner, who loves Stegos

Finally is The Archosauria: A New Look at the Old Dinosaur by John C. McLoughlin. I am considering returning this one, because I'm not too keen on it...particularly the illustration style...it's kinda creepy looking :/

Horridus

I can't believe I've been missing out on this thread! Thanks for sharing all those pics. I've reviewed some of the same books over at LITC (actually, I'm part-way through covering Life before Man, having recently acquired it for a couple of quid in a second-hand bookshop), but certainly not all of them so there's still plenty that's new to me here. I think this image is fantastic:

It begs the question...where do the vertebrae go?  ;D

That Charles R Knight book looks marvellous. I really want a copy!
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

tyrantqueen

Thanks for the comments Horridus.

Aaaand two more books, both by Don Glut, and both very dated (circa 70s)

First is the Dinosaur Dictionary. As you would expect it has a dictionary type format, with alpabetical listings for each species. There are skeletal reconstructions for most of the species and some very dated paleo illustrations.

And here is Dinosaur Scrapbook , and basically it is what it says on the front cover- a collection of illustrations and photos from hundreds of different sources wherever dinosaurs appear in pop culture- comics, TV, art, etc. Like I mentioned before it's dated but really an awesome read if you're interested in this kind of stuff :)

Dinosaur B movies. The man in a suit Rex is hilarious XD

Hey look, it's Invicta XD

Gwangi

OMG, I need the "Dinosaur Scrapbook" in my life...off to Amazon I go.

tyrantqueen

3 more pre-dino renaissance books :) In case you haven't noticed, I love these kinds of books XD

Album of Dinosaurs, by Tom McGowen.

I-Spy dinosaurs and prehistoric animals, by an anonymous author. Featuring the Stay Puft marshmallow man I mean the Michelin guy XD

Ladybird Dinosaurs by Ben M Bagglio

Allosaurus, identified as Antrodemus here XD

Horridus

Love that 'Album of Dinosaurs'! That's a new one to me. I might have to go hunting for a copy.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

tyrantqueen

I have had some camera trouble lately but now I am back with more books.
First off is Gregory S Paul's Predatory Dinosaurs of the World . Really nice black and white illustrations. It's really far ahead for its time, considering how most other dinosaur books of the 80's depicted them as cold blooded tail-draggers. The text is actually interesting to read too.

Dinosaurs by Peter Zallinger. I like the artwork despite the age.

An Alphabet of Dinosaurs by Peter Dodson. Lots of colourful beautiful paintings. I just wish there was more :'(

...Except for this one. It has creepy eyes :o

And finally, two issues of Prehistoric Times. I love this magazine and I intend to buy more issues in future :)

tyrantqueen

I finally have the much-hyped Dinosaur Art- the World's Greatest Paleoart by Steve White.

I do like it a lot. However, there isn't really much in the way of new content. You can find most (nearly all) of the artwork inside online, via google images, or even in dinosaur books (like Luis Rey and Gregory S Paul)
My favourite artists are probably Robert Nicholls and John Sibbick.

I think I am starting to appreciate Luis Rey's work a bit more now. But I still think he overexaggerates the claws on his dinos. He makes them look like Freddie Kreuger. I think I am also starting to develop an aversion to Todd Marshall's art. He makes all his dinosaurs too spiky. They look like reptilian pincushions :/

GET READY FOR THE PIC SPAM :3

radman

Thanks for the nice review.  I don't see how I can avoid getting this  book now.  Although that last pic of the tylosaurus, can't read the script, was it washed up from a storm?  Or is some one preparing for a BBQ?

tyrantqueen

You're welcome :)

I believe the mosasaur was sucked up into a waterspout whilst jumping out of the water to display for a female. That was the description on RN's site.

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 25, 2012, 02:17:34 PM
I finally have the much-hyped Dinosaur Art- the World's Greatest Paleoart by Steve White.

I do like it a lot. However, there isn't really much in the way of new content. You can find most (nearly all) of the artwork inside online, via google images, or even in dinosaur books (like Luis Rey and Gregory S Paul)

I think I am starting to appreciate Luis Rey's work a bit more now. But I still think he overexaggerates the claws on his dinos. He makes them look like Freddie Kreuger. I think I am also starting to develop an aversion to Todd Marshall's art. He makes all his dinosaurs too spiky. They look like reptilian pincushions :/

I'm not a big fan of Luis Rey or Todd Marshall either but they do both have a couple pieces I really like. For example, with Rey I really like is Gigantoraptor piece, with Marshall I really like his Sinornithosaurus. My favorites in the book would have to be Julius Csotonyi and Raul Martin. I was really surprised by some some of the work from John Conway and Robert Nicholls, I hadn't seen a lot of their work before and really enjoyed their entries. One of my favorite artists is Douglas Henderson but I felt his work was poorly represented in this volume, there are some paintings by him that really should have been in there.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Gwangi on September 25, 2012, 10:55:52 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 25, 2012, 02:17:34 PM

I'm not a big fan of Luis Rey or Todd Marshall either but they do both have a couple pieces I really like. For example, with Rey I really like is Gigantoraptor piece, with Marshall I really like his Sinornithosaurus. My favorites in the book would have to be Julius Csotonyi and Raul Martin. I was really surprised by some some of the work from John Conway and Robert Nicholls, I hadn't seen a lot of their work before and really enjoyed their entries. One of my favorite artists is Douglas Henderson but I felt his work was poorly represented in this volume, there are some paintings by him that really should have been in there.
Thanks for sharing your opinions. This is a subject I am very interested in :)
I was actually a fan of Robert Nicholls before I purchased this book. I have seen his site online and his sculptures and paintings are wonderful. There were some artists I think who should have been featured in this volume but weren't- Nima Sassani and Niroot Puttapipat for example. Maybe there could be a volume 2? ^-^

Anyway, I have a new book (yes another), Dinosaurs and Other Archosaurs, by Peter Zallinger. I love the artwork, it is very detailed.

The forearms on that Allosaurus sure are odd though.

Himmapaan

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 26, 2012, 12:44:08 PM
There were some artists I think who should have been featured in this volume but weren't- Nima Sassani and Niroot Puttapipat for example. Maybe there could be a volume 2? ^-^

Aw, that's terribly kind of you, TQ.  :-[ I don't think I have a strong or extensive enough prehistoric portfolio just yet, I would have made a humiliating contribution to such a book, I fear.  :)) But hopefully someday!

Gwangi

Thanks for sharing your opinions. This is a subject I am very interested in :)
I was actually a fan of Robert Nicholls before I purchased this book. I have seen his site online and his sculptures and paintings are wonderful. There were some artists I think who should have been featured in this volume but weren't- Nima Sassani and Niroot Puttapipat for example. Maybe there could be a volume 2? ^-^

No problem, it is an interest we seem to share. I had seen some work by Conway and Nicholls before online but most of it never really stuck with me. Lets just say that after viewing their work in this book I won't forget who they are.
I went ahead and looked up Nima Sassani as I had never heard of them before. I must say, their work reminds me a lot of Greg Paul's. In fact had I now known who's they were I probably would have thought they were his. I could easily see Niroot in a similar publication someday! Speaking of which, have you ever been commissioned before Niroot? For your paleoart?

Himmapaan

Quote from: Gwangi on September 27, 2012, 10:36:28 PM
...have you ever been commissioned before Niroot? For your paleoart?

My palaeo art was something I only did in earnest* about two years ago, so almost nobody (excepting perhaps forum members and other folks online) knows about this aspect of my work yet. Not even my agent knows! With time, I'm trying to put together a decent selection of work which I can then put about, as it were. 

I was, however, recently commissioned for a small something by Brian Switek for his new book. I think we may call that the first formal palaeo commission!

*A few people may regard 'in earnest' as ironic, considering the number of silly things I have!

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Himmapaan on September 26, 2012, 08:17:11 PM
There were some artists I think who should have been featured in this volume but weren't- Nima Sassani and Niroot Puttapipat for example. Maybe there could be a volume 2? ^-^

Aw, that's terribly kind of you, TQ.  :-[ I don't think I have a strong or extensive enough prehistoric portfolio just yet, I would have made a humiliating contribution to such a book, I fear.  :)) But hopefully someday!
You're much too hard yourself :)

Your illustrations are sometimes on the...whimsical side, yes. ;D But you obviously have a great deal of technical skill. Give yourself credit for that.

HD-man

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 09, 2012, 12:53:06 PMA nice one here, The Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs and Other Prehistoric Creatures by Steve Parker. This has some really good information and covers many areas of prehistoric life, although the illustrations aren't the best.

QUESTION: Were any experts listed on the Copyright page as having helped &, if so, who?

Many thanks in advance.
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

tyrantqueen

Quote from: HD-man on August 16, 2013, 06:06:09 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 09, 2012, 12:53:06 PMA nice one here, The Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs and Other Prehistoric Creatures by Steve Parker. This has some really good information and covers many areas of prehistoric life, although the illustrations aren't the best.

QUESTION: Were any experts listed on the Copyright page as having helped &, if so, who?

Many thanks in advance.
Just going to say this thread is pretty outdated and most of the links are broken. I stopped updating because I figured most people weren't paying any attention to my posts, and I didn't want to spam up the forum with my photos.

I'll get back to you about the copyright thing :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: