News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony92

Quote from: suspsy on October 06, 2016, 01:15:09 AM
As I said, it's ridiculous and incessantly provocative to try and prop up one good toy by denigrating another toy.

What's exactly provocative in having an opinion? Aren't we allowed to have opinions, tastes and make comparisons between different figures?

It's incidental that you use such strong and aggressive words like "provocation" and "denigration" to describe the disliking of some people for Collecta models?

CMIPalaeo

Hm... I really like the Diplodocus (it's my favourite dinosaur, I'm a sucker for sauropods, of course I like it!) but I don't know if/when I'll be getting it. Its back legs look a little reedy and I'm concerned that the paint job on its face might be a bit sloppy... also I think it has claws on all five back toes instead of just the inner three? Or maybe I'm seeing things.

So, Safari has really outdone themselves this year! Here's my breakdown:

I WILL be getting these:
Velociraptor, Tyrannosaurus, Coelophysis

I will probably get these at some point:
Einiosaurus, Psittacosaurus, Tylosaurus, Diplodocus (if finances allow, this is the one that's gonna be pricey from any vendor)

I might get these, but won't make any special effort:
Microraptor, Quetzalcoatlus, Kronosaurus

I almost certainly won't get these:
Parasaurolophus (seems off to me somehow, maybe it's jus the paintjob? I'd have to see it up close in person), Deinocheirus (I like the CollectA one just as much, and it's smaller and a lot cheaper), Giganotosaurus (it's nice but it's really similar to the great Carnegie one I already have, but with a paintjob I like less)
Once a man is tired of dinosaurs, he is tired of life; for there is in a dinosaur all that life can afford.

suspsy

You're making a non-sequitur argument, Tony92. The right to hold an opinion has nothing to with the validity of an opinion. I maintain that it's perfectly possible and indeed preferable to express praise for new toys without resorting to denigrating other toys.

And that's the last thing I have to say on that. Moving on.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Tony92

Quote from: suspsy on October 06, 2016, 03:33:32 AM
You're making a non-sequitur argument, Tony92. The right to hold an opinion has nothing to with the validity of an opinion. I maintain that it's perfectly possible and indeed preferable to express praise for new toys without resorting to denigrating other toys.

And that's the last thing I have to say on that. Moving on.

Are you kind of assuming that people who dislike a certain toy and prefer another one instead express no valid opinion? And they can't express said opinion by making a comparison? Maybe I'm wrong but I can't find denigrating opinions back in this thread. Denigration is a pretty strong word, it implies some bad will. And by the way you are telling people how they should or shouldn't express their ideas, that's kind of unfair. Ok so, nothing else to say on that too.

Back on topic, here's my opinion on new Safaris: never been a fan of Doug Watson's theropods, a bit cartoony in my view, but I have to say that those new feathered T-Rex and Velociraptor look fantastic! If the rex had lips and feathering on the snout would have been perfect, but still an incredible piece. About the raptor I can't find anything wrong, maybe the feathering on the wings but I'm no expert, honestly. Both are easily the best depictions available of those genus.

Takama

Well i thoght 2015 was the best year for Safari, but now i have to say that this year takes the cake.

Everything looks fantastic. Im just upset that we dont have a new armourd dinosaur yet.

Another thing that irks me about this year is that only one model has a Base.   It would be better if all of the bipeds had a base regardless if it would need one(i await all you naysayers to swarm on me) Because a baseless model will always run the risk of toppling over and getting damaged.   I will not get the Giganotosaurus Simply because it looks out of place with the rest of them.   (plus i want to get the Cacaradontosaurus which is a very very similar dinosaur)

John

Quote from: CMIPalaeo on October 06, 2016, 03:29:15 AM
Hm... I really like the Diplodocus (it's my favourite dinosaur, I'm a sucker for sauropods, of course I like it!) but I don't know if/when I'll be getting it. Its back legs look a little reedy and I'm concerned that the paint job on its face might be a bit sloppy... also I think it has claws on all five back toes instead of just the inner three? Or maybe I'm seeing things.
I can see it too.But I'm not sure whether there are actually sculpted nails on those outer two toes on the Diplodocus' feet or if it's just a painting error like the extra nails painted in on the last digit on the hands of this year's Iguanodon.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Kovu

Ok, so this is the year that Safari triumphantly returns to its place as head of the pack. Now that all of them have been revealed, here's my thoughts. I've ordered them from most excited to least.

Einiosaurus: Finally! Always been one of my favorites and it's great to see Mr. Watson not only attack it, but absolutely slay it! This is the one I'm most excited for and will definitely be picking up one (or two).

Deinocheirus: The CollectA one is wonderful, that being said, it's also not readily available here in the states. This one surely will be and it's absolutely beautiful! I love the shaggy feathering, making it look like an oversized emu. One thing I have noticed with Safari's recent releases is that they seem to be really fond of the browns and tans with white markings. This guy's paint job reminds me a bit of last year's Shunosaurus. Not a knock, just an observation. Will absolutely be picking one up, as well as a second to customize.

Parasaurolophus: Fantastic, it's nice and rotund and you can never have to many hadrosaurs! Another must have! If we can have a hadrosaur a year, that would be just lovely! Saurolophus, anyone?

Psittacosaurus: Don't have a Psittacosaurus yet and and excited to add one to my collection. Looks fantastic and might be one of the most accurate toys out there.

Diplodocus: Not enough sauropods are simply massive and at 18 inches, this is another must. I really like the spikes running down its back! The Carnegie and Battat are eagerly awaiting another arrival to the heard.

Coelophysis: Did not see this one coming and another must! The colors are nice and believable, but I'll probably pick another one up to repaint in the WWD colors. I've always liked the color scheme of that particular rendition.

Tyrannosaurus: Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and agree this this is the new definitive rex. This looks like it could've actually existed, colors both pop and are believable and it's got that nice mix of fearsome and naturalistic. I also like that it's got a bit of heft to it.

Velociraptor: It looks great and I'll probably pick one up for completion's sake because I do try to get all of Mr. Watson's sculpts. That being said, I'm not a big dromeosaur fan, so it's not on the top of my list.

Giganotosaurus: Great sculpt, but I'm not crazy about the paint job... or the base. Based on how dynamic the sculpt is, I understand why it's necessary, but I'd be interested to see is if the base does solve the stability problem. I've heard that the CollectA's bases don't always do so. I'll probably pick up one of the Giga's but play around with the base and see if I can rig up some simple clear one to put it on.

Microraptor: It's nice and the sculpt is good, but I'm a bit put off by the yellow. This is one of those that I'll probably end up getting, but won't actively seek out. It would've been nice to see some iridescence on it.

Tylosaurus: Beautiful sculpt, but I don't collect non-dinosaurs, so it's probably going to be a no go.

Kronosaurus: Again, looks great and I don't really mind the WWD colors. Is it a bit overdone? Yeah, but it's also believable that closely related species would have similar color patterns, especially large oceanic ones.

Quetzalcoatlus: Quetzalcoatlus is one of the few non-dinosaurs I'd be tempted to pick up, however, I don't really like pterosaurs in the flying pose just because of the difficulties in displaying them. Again, looks great, but it'll probably be a pass for me.

Overall, very excited for this year's Safari crop! Great work Mr. Watson, your toys are consistently on my must buy list every year and this year looks no different!

Jose S.M.

Quote from: John on October 06, 2016, 04:16:00 AM

I can see it too.But I'm not sure whether there are actually sculpted nails on those outer two toes on the Diplodocus' feet or if it's just a painting error like the extra nails painted in on the last digit on the hands of this year's Iguanodon.

In the  diorama-like photo, it looks like it's a paint job error, to me it looks like there are no nails actually sculpted in those toes.

John

Quote from: Joe289 on October 06, 2016, 05:09:30 AM
Quote from: John on October 06, 2016, 04:16:00 AM

In the  diorama-like photo, it looks like it's a paint job error, to me it looks like there are no nails actually sculpted in those toes.
Since the extra painted on nails are in a solid colored area without any kind of shading or fading into another color,then a simple paint touch-up of will take care of that without having to repaint the whole thing (unless one wanted to put his own color pattern to it anyway.)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

ceratopsian

What an exciting year it will be in 2017!  (I don't expect any of the models will be available here in the UK until the new year.)  I suspect I'll buy everything except the marine reptiles (not that I don't like them, I just don't collect them.)  I'm especially thrilled with the Einiosaurus - but Psittacosaurus and the Deinocheirus aren't far behind.  I have plans to turn a room a model room next year - it looks like I'll need it!  Like a lot of people here, I'm much more captivated by Safari's line-up this year than last.

Lanthanotus

While I like the Quetzalcoatlus sculpt, I wonder about the strange positioning of the pteroid and the extent of the propatagium. This straight forward pointing pteroid would mean that in the most frontal position airstreams and strain would be strongest while the attachment of the propatagium to the pteroid bone is weakest. In addition, some ptersoaurs had extremly elongated pteroid bones which - in case of the same positioning as seen here - the propatagium would create an extremly un-aerodynamic spot righ in front of the wing. After all, for alle the strain in this position, the pteroid would require a good bulk of sinew and muscle fibre....

PS: The most recent literature I have available on the matter of pterosaurs is Witton's book, but it may  - or is highly likely - that there's more modern interpretations....

Doug Watson

Since some people have asked and now that they are all officially revealed, the ones I did are: Feathered T rex, Feathered Velociraptor, Parasaurolophus, Coelophysis, Deinocheirus, Einiosaurus, Psittacosaurus, Tylosaurus. I'll put up some shots of the original sculpts on my collection thread when I get a chance.

sauroid

Doug, may i know the extant animals you sculpted? tia

also curious, were you the sculptor of the 2007 lioness with cub?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

The Atroxious

Quote from: suspsy on October 06, 2016, 01:15:09 AM
As I said, it's ridiculous and incessantly provocative to try and prop up one good toy by denigrating another toy.

I don't think anyone here was trying to "prop up one good toy by denigrating another". I can't really speak for anyone else, but since CollectA and now Safari have the only models of this genus to date, it's to be expected that they will be compared, and that people would have preferences. Some prefer CollectA, and some prefer Safari, and there's nothing wrong with liking one better.

For instance, I vastly prefer the CollectA Deluxe Therizinosaurus to the Safari Great Dinos one, and I could go on a long tangent about why, but doing so does not mean I'm trying to falsely put the CollectA version on a pedestal. It simply means that I personally think it's a much better figure. Others are entitled to take the opposite viewpoint as well.

Doug Watson

Quote from: sauroid on October 06, 2016, 01:00:38 PM

It's a big list 165 pieces not counting prehistoric animals since 2003. You are not the first to ask, I am not sure how to do it, if I should do a thread here or on the ATF, Dr. Admin any ideas? I am not on the ATF as much. That is a lot of images to post :-\
I didn't do the 2007 lioness with cub but this year I did do the WW American Alligator, WW Whitetail Buck, IC Collared Lizard, WS Howler Monkey.

darth daniel

If some retailer offered a discount for buying the whole set of new figures, like Everything Dinosaur does for the Battat figures, I´d be tempted to get them all plus two or three of those beautiful Diplodocus figures additionally. :) (Is the correct plural "Diplodoci"?) Safari, please offer more sauropod figures of the Diplodocus´ quality and scale in the coming years!

sauroid

Quote from: Doug Watson on October 06, 2016, 02:25:33 PM
Quote from: sauroid on October 06, 2016, 01:00:38 PM

It's a big list 165 pieces not counting prehistoric animals since 2003. You are not the first to ask, I am not sure how to do it, if I should do a thread here or on the ATF, Dr. Admin any ideas? I am not on the ATF as much. That is a lot of images to post :-\
I didn't do the 2007 lioness with cub but this year I did do the WW American Alligator, WW Whitetail Buck, IC Collared Lizard, WS Howler Monkey.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

MLMjp

Finally everything has been revealed!
Although I already expressed my thought of some figures I´m gonna do a round up of all because so ;D (And because I want to do a much more extensive comment on some figures).

Feathered Tyrannosaurus rex: One word to describe it: AWESOME. Mr. Watson, this has to be your best sculpt ever. It´s just fantastic. Is the T.rex that I have been waiting for. Collecta is probably my favorite company, but their T.rex just....did not work to me. Safari´s Tyrannosaurus is just waaaaaayyyyy better, better colors, no mohawk(Thanks ::)), no base and (apparently) better detail. And the best part is that is not a small figure like other safaris in the past. This time is a big one!
If I have to nitpick I will say I find it weird that the neck is scaly, the chest is feathered, and the crotch is scaly. I think It would have been better if the whole underside was scaly. Also the pose could have been a bit more horizontal. But like I said, nitpicking, this figure is awesome and it´s a top priority, I must buy it at all cost.

Parasaurolophus: Not my favorite, good sculpt, good proportions, but I dislike it´s colors. Someone said it looked like banana and chocolate, and I agree. I will most likely pass on this one since I already have the best Para(The Battat one).

Microraptor: Beautiful sculpt, and extremely accurate. I like my dinosaurs in a scale range of 1:40-1:30, but thanks to this one and other figures now I am definitely going to start a non- scale collection so I can have better and more detail figures of smaller dinos like this one. The only thing I don't like is that the paint on the snout looks sloppy. Anyway another that goes to my list.

Coelophysis: Like the Microraptor, this will go to my non-scale collection, great sculpt and I really like the colors. Although I usually tend to dislike feathers on non coelurosaur theropods, since is a primitive one, it makes sense for me that it has some sort of plumage, so no problem. :)

Quetzalcoatlus: IMO the weakest figure, I think it lacks detail (Those wings look very plain) and the head colors just don´t work, plus is a little bit on the small size. I will have to say that despite what I said, I´m somehow attracted by this one. An easy pass, but my opinion may change in the future.

Kronosaurus: Like most of this year figures from Safari, very eye catching. Again,I would have proffered different colors so it does not look like a Liopleurodon, but I can live with that. Although it is bigger than I would like, I still want one.

Tylosaurus: At first I was not impressed and I did not like it´s tiger stripes but now I think it looks really good. The problem with this one is the opposite of the Kronosaurus, is too small. I wish this Tylo was the big one and Krono the smaller one. Not sure if I will get it or not, probably not.

Psittacosaurus: Another one for the non-scale collection. Apart from the spots, I think it looks really good.

Feathered Velociraptor: This is the one that will star my non-scale collection. Finally a proper Velociraptor, and it´s gorgeous. A must buy.

Giganotosaurus: Some do not like it´s colors, but I think they are beautiful and very eye-catching. I´m starting to become more tolerant to bases, so I´m not as irritated as I have been in the pass. I like that this base has some detail unlike the recent collectas which look very plain. I am almost sold on this one, but I will wait until on-hand pictures and comparison photos to make the final decision.

Einiosaurus: At last! We finally have a figure of this dinosaur, and Mr. Watson does not disappoint when it comes to ceratopsians. ^-^ Another one for the list.

Deinocheirus: Good figure. I think I like the colors of the Collecta one a bit more, but the colors of this one are also ver nice and I find the sculpt on this one better. However both the Safari and Collecta Deinocheirus fail in one thing. They are just too small. >:(

Diplodocus: Another eye-catching figure thanks to it´s blue color. Better than I expected, and also bigger. It´s definitely a bulkier representation of what we are used to, and that´s perfectly fine. I already have the Carnegie Diplodocus, but getting this one is a posibility.

Overall I think this is a fantastic year for Safari, we have eye-catching figures of a very decent range of species. ;D

Libraraptor

Whoa! Great Diplodocus, Deinocheirus and T.rex! And at last a more than "just decent" Velociraptor! I like the neck, the anti shrink-wrapped proportions and the colours, too.

Faelrin

I've been giving it some thought, and I think I will get the Parasaurolophus, and not just for the sculpt. If the colors are what they what they are in this image (https://www.safariltd.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/3/0/306029-parasaurolophus-lifestyle-shot.jpg), then I'm okay with that. The other images caused the brown to come off as a dark grey green brown to me, then a chocolatey brown, so it was off putting with the yellow. So if its "chocolate covered banana" in terms of colors, then I'm okay with that. I think I may try my hand at repainting the belly a cream color, and the head and crest with a little more red color, though.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: