News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Doug Watson on October 06, 2016, 02:25:33 PM
Quote from: sauroid on October 06, 2016, 01:00:38 PM
Doug, may i know the extant animals you sculpted? tia

also curious, were you the sculptor of the 2007 lioness with cub?

It's a big list 165 pieces not counting prehistoric animals since 2003. You are not the first to ask, I am not sure how to do it, if I should do a thread here or on the ATF, Dr. Admin any ideas? I am not on the ATF as much. That is a lot of images to post :-\
I didn't do the 2007 lioness with cub but this year I did do the WW American Alligator, WW Whitetail Buck, IC Collared Lizard, WS Howler Monkey.

The ATF is probably the best place for it. It is calm and quiet over there, and I'm sure the members there would be especially appreciative.

Just a written list would be fine if images are a headache.

Cheers,
Adam

tanystropheus

Quote from: Faelrin on October 06, 2016, 08:38:04 PM
I've been giving it some thought, and I think I will get the Parasaurolophus, and not just for the sculpt. If the colors are what they what they are in this image (https://www.safariltd.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/3/0/306029-parasaurolophus-lifestyle-shot.jpg), then I'm okay with that. The other images caused the brown to come off as a dark grey green brown to me, then a chocolatey brown, so it was off putting with the yellow. So if its "chocolate covered banana" in terms of colors, then I'm okay with that. I think I may try my hand at repainting the belly a cream color, and the head and crest with a little more red color, though.

Regardless of the 'chocolate covered banana' scheme, this model has one of the best skin textures in the entire line. Very organic.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

So the Diplodocus is listed as 17.5 inches long on the website, but as we can see, there's a significant loop in the tail. What scale is this, approximately? Hints, Doug?

Jose S.M.

I've been giving it some thought, and I think I will get the Parasaurolophus, and not just for the sculpt. If the colors are what they what they are in this image (https://www.safariltd.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/3/0/306029-parasaurolophus-lifestyle-shot.jpg), then I'm okay with that. The other images caused the brown to come off as a dark grey green brown to me, then a chocolatey brown, so it was off putting with the yellow. So if its "chocolate covered banana" in terms of colors, then I'm okay with that. I think I may try my hand at repainting the belly a cream color, and the head and crest with a little more red color, though.

Para looks very great in that shot and I'm pretty sure it's a "factory piece" so the colors are probably the same as what we will get, I never thought anything looked weird in this one but up close it looks even better to me. I guess I'm going to have to break my current rule of one figure for species and have 2 Parasarolophus and 2 Deinocheirus.

AcroSauroTaurus

My opinions! Sorry for being a day late, had to give these three a bit of thought on what I would say, because they are so great!

Einiosaurus: Its great to have the "bison reptile" in one of the main company lines. The PNSO one is too shrink-wrapped and the proportions are a little off, so its good to have a more bulky figure of this species! It looks to be a male not in breeding colors, due to the bright colors being a little faded.

Deinocheirus: In my opinion, I love both the Safari and the CollectA equally. Its nice to have another updated "terrible hand" on the market! This is a must have figure, and is probably a female, seeing the lack of color on the facial region.

Diplodocus: Love it, the size, sculpt, coloration, everything. I love dorsal spines on sauropods, so this ones a must have for me!
I am the Dinosaur King!

Doug Watson

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on October 07, 2016, 12:59:00 AM
So the Diplodocus is listed as 17.5 inches long on the website, but as we can see, there's a significant loop in the tail. What scale is this, approximately? Hints, Doug?

I didn't sculpt that one, sorry.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Joe289 on October 07, 2016, 02:16:37 AM

Para looks very great in that shot and I'm pretty sure it's a "factory piece" so the colors are probably the same as what we will get, I never thought anything looked weird in this one but up close it looks even better to me. I guess I'm going to have to break my current rule of one figure for species and have 2 Parasarolophus and 2 Deinocheirus.

It has the C E on the belly so that is a production piece.

Quote from: Doug Watson on October 07, 2016, 02:57:30 AM
Quote from: Stuckasaurus on October 07, 2016, 12:59:00 AM

I didn't sculpt that one, sorry.

Oops, that's right, I forgot.

Faelrin

Thanks for the info, you all. I can't wait to buy it alongside other figures (like the new feathered T. rex, Deinocheirus, and some old ones too like the Ammonite and Yutyrannus, etc, since I'm late to the game with Safari, and collecting in general). And yes the skin detail is amazing. This is one of my favorite dinosaurs, so I'm sure glad to see the skin impressions taken into account for the sculpt (and the "mitten" hands too).

Edit: Though not a dinosaur, or a real animal, the werewolf figure that I've been anticipating has now been revealed on the website. Can't wait to pick this one up too. The fur is brown and not black like I thought it was from seeing it in the preview video. I like that though. I wonder when it will be available since it doesn't say yet.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Daspletotyrannus

Quote from: Doug Watson on October 06, 2016, 12:38:51 PM
Since some people have asked and now that they are all officially revealed, the ones I did are: Feathered T rex, Feathered Velociraptor, Parasaurolophus, Coelophysis, Deinocheirus, Einiosaurus, Psittacosaurus, Tylosaurus. I'll put up some shots of the original sculpts on my collection thread when I get a chance.

Thank you for making Einiosaurus. I've always wanted one. I just love the Coelophysis. I also like the Tyrannosaurus too.  When I saw your Yutyrannus it made me start liking feathered dinosaurs.  I was always just haunted by those life-size dinosaurs model with clearly glued on feathers as an afterthought. I was like those look weird.  Lol

What animal did you base the colors on for Coelophysis?

Bokisaurus

Really amazing figures! I can't wait to get them all ^-^

Lanthanotus

Anyone any suggestions on my question in reply 1030, I'm really curious? ;)

stargatedalek

Quote from: Lanthanotus on October 06, 2016, 11:54:29 AM
While I like the Quetzalcoatlus sculpt, I wonder about the strange positioning of the pteroid and the extent of the propatagium. This straight forward pointing pteroid would mean that in the most frontal position airstreams and strain would be strongest while the attachment of the propatagium to the pteroid bone is weakest. In addition, some ptersoaurs had extremly elongated pteroid bones which - in case of the same positioning as seen here - the propatagium would create an extremly un-aerodynamic spot righ in front of the wing. After all, for alle the strain in this position, the pteroid would require a good bulk of sinew and muscle fibre....

PS: The most recent literature I have available on the matter of pterosaurs is Witton's book, but it may  - or is highly likely - that there's more modern interpretations....
From my limited knowledge I seem to recall the positioning of pteroid bones being highly variable, with different species possessing pteroids of different sizes and positions to best suited their own behaviors.

The propatagium too would probably vary between species, some species might prioritize maneuverability on land, others speed and others endurance.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 07, 2016, 10:29:47 PM
Quote from: Lanthanotus on October 06, 2016, 11:54:29 AM
While I like the Quetzalcoatlus sculpt, I wonder about the strange positioning of the pteroid and the extent of the propatagium. This straight forward pointing pteroid would mean that in the most frontal position airstreams and strain would be strongest while the attachment of the propatagium to the pteroid bone is weakest. In addition, some ptersoaurs had extremly elongated pteroid bones which - in case of the same positioning as seen here - the propatagium would create an extremly un-aerodynamic spot righ in front of the wing. After all, for alle the strain in this position, the pteroid would require a good bulk of sinew and muscle fibre....

PS: The most recent literature I have available on the matter of pterosaurs is Witton's book, but it may  - or is highly likely - that there's more modern interpretations....
From my limited knowledge I seem to recall the positioning of pteroid bones being highly variable, with different species possessing pteroids of different sizes and positions to best suited their own behaviors.

The propatagium too would probably vary between species, some species might prioritize maneuverability on land, others speed and others endurance.

The forward facing pteroid thing has actually been published and is pretty common in reconstructions from the early 2000s. This paper from 6 years ago specifically argued against that hypothesis for exactly the reasons you state and it's almost certainly incorrect.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/20007183/
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Dinoguy2

[...]

The forward facing pteroid thing has actually been published and is pretty common in reconstructions from the early 2000s. This paper from 6 years ago specifically argued against that hypothesis for exactly the reasons you state and it's almost certainly incorrect.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/20007183/

Thanks very much for providing that link, Dinoguy2, I'll read through this during the weekend :)

Quote from: Daspletotyrannus on October 07, 2016, 08:11:55 AM

Thank you for making Einiosaurus. I've always wanted one. I just love the Coelophysis. I also like the Tyrannosaurus too.  When I saw your Yutyrannus it made me start liking feathered dinosaurs.  I was always just haunted by those life-size dinosaurs model with clearly glued on feathers as an afterthought. I was like those look weird.  Lol

I was the same way once; nothing like a crappy reconstruction to reinforce people's aversion to feathered dinosaurs. You should check out Emily Willoughby's raptor reconstructions. She's the first paleoartist that finally won me over.
http://emilywilloughby.com/gallery/paleoart

Doug Watson

No animal this time just a combination I hoped would look good.

Gwangi

Quote from: Doug Watson on October 08, 2016, 04:54:00 AM

It does, it looks fantastic. Reminds me of a Doug Henderson painting which is a good thing.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Gwangi on October 08, 2016, 11:31:11 AM
Quote from: Doug Watson on October 08, 2016, 04:54:00 AM

It does, it looks fantastic. Reminds me of a Doug Henderson painting which is a good thing.

Who knows I may have been influenced by one. Since I am a paleo art fan like all of you I look at a lot of Paleo Art and Toys so something I have seen may stay in my brain and creep out when I am painting these guys. I have long been a fan of Doug's work (good name too). I just picked up Julius Csotontyi's Paleo Art book, I love that guy's work. First Mike Skrepnick now Julius, there must be something in the water out in western Canada to produce these great paleo artists!

suspsy

Don't forget Jan Sovak. I haven't seen him do any recent paleoart, but his work was quite dynamic and vivid back in the 90s'.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: