News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Aren't the terror birds the Phorusrhacidae?: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phorusrhacidae  Gastornis isn't a member of this group, and there's strong evidence Gastornis was a herbivore.

terrorchicken

Im hoping the toobs and terror bird will be replaced by new prehistoric counterparts.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Sim on October 19, 2016, 04:46:56 PM
Aren't the terror birds the Phorusrhacidae?: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phorusrhacidae  Gastornis isn't a member of this group, and there's strong evidence Gastornis was a herbivore.
Gastornis was most likely omnivorous, as it displays none of the necessary adaptations for hunting prey but also lacks any specialization towards an herbivorous diet as seen in most modern herbivorous birds.

Shame it's getting retired, glad I picked it (and the toobs) up over this last year or so.

Halichoeres

Man, it's a real bummer that the three most interesting toobs that Safari offers are either retired or being retired. The optimist in me hope that they're making room for something equally interesting, but the pessimist/realist in me is convinced that they're being discontinued thanks to low sales. After all, if you wanted to make room for something interesting, toob-wise, first on the chopping block ought to be the regular ol' Dinosaurs and Baby Dinosaurs toobs.

Pertinent to Suspsy's comment, I imagine the old rex still moves units, unlike the short-lived Scutosaurus, which is such a better figure.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Daspletotyrannus

Is the prehistoric shark toob good? I've been thinking of getting one. And now I really have to think about it fast.  I already missed out on the prehistoric crocodiles one. I'm glad I got the Gastronis. Sorta shocked it on the chopping block. I'm guessing that we will not get any more prehistoric birds. I was hoping for a Titanis or a Phorusrhacos.

Faelrin

I've been considering picking up the Prehistoric Sharks TOOB, so guess I'll need to do it sooner then later now. Same goes for the Gastornis. I wonder what non prehistoric stuff is being retired as well. 
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

Sometimes I don't get the thought process of Safari LTD, they always retire some of their most interesting figures.
Why don't they retire their older figures?
So now the prehistoric croc, sea life and shark toob is retired... What an absolute shame.
Does ED still have any prehistoric croc toobs?

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

If Safari were to retire some of their bad older figures, maybe they wouldn't have such a hard time selling their newer/better figures since stores would be forced to stock alternate items.

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on October 20, 2016, 06:15:11 AM
Sometimes I don't get the thought process of Safari LTD, they always retire some of their most interesting figures.
Why don't they retire their older figures?
So now the prehistoric croc, sea life and shark toob is retired... What an absolute shame.
Does ED still have any prehistoric croc toobs?

Safari has to make a profit, like every other company. Things like the prehistoric sharks, prehistoric crocodiles and Gastornis are very niche products, they probably don't sell very well. But an outdated Tyrannosaurus is still a Tyrannosaurus for most children and parents. Sadly this means that the most interesting products are not always the best selling ones.

DinoLord

Weren't the crocodile and shark toobs already retired?

stargatedalek

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on October 20, 2016, 01:42:09 PM
If Safari were to retire some of their bad older figures, maybe they wouldn't have such a hard time selling their newer/better figures since stores would be forced to stock alternate items.
Exactly. This is a false impression of consumer choice given off by most retailers avidly refusing to update the products they order and repeating the same order every year for decades.

suspsy

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 20, 2016, 06:07:02 PM
Quote from: Stuckasaurus on October 20, 2016, 01:42:09 PM
Exactly. This is a false impression of consumer choice given off by most retailers avidly refusing to update the products they order and repeating the same order every year for decades.

Yeah, this is another good point. It certainly explains why Michael's keeps stocking the 20-year old T. rex and Spinosaurus figures.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Postosuchus84

That stinks about Gastornis getting the axe, but I am happy Safari is finally giving their models feathers now. Plus I'm happy the Postosuchus remains in production too.

tanystropheus

Picked up the Gastornis (and prehistoric sea life toob). It's a great model, but I think I might repaint the legs a darker color as it seems too human and flesh-toned.

SpartanSquat

Guys Kaprosuchus will be retired? I say he is out from the official website

Sim

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Sim on October 19, 2016, 04:46:56 PM

There's at least one unpublished analysis presented at a conference a few years ago that found Gastornis to be a derived herbivorous phorusrhacid.

Which would be weird since it's also much earlier than a lot of terror birds, but it might have been an early experiment within that family...
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

CMIPalaeo

So most of these guys should be released in the coming week or so, correct?
Once a man is tired of dinosaurs, he is tired of life; for there is in a dinosaur all that life can afford.

suspsy

End of November/beginning of December.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

CarnegieCollector

I should buy the Gastornis before he goes extinct  :-\
Is there an alternate universe in which dinosaurs collect figures of people?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: