News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

Quote from: ceratopsian on January 21, 2017, 06:03:27 PM
Quote from: Moodyraptor on January 21, 2017, 03:51:25 PM
Hmm, well, my Rex arrived today, and it's a lovely model, but it doesn't stand up.  Bit disappointed with that, tbh, I think it's quite a lot to pay for a model which won't even stay on its two feet.  I know it can be fixed, but honestly most buyers have neither the knowledge or the inclination to be modifying their models. 

(Not suggesting at all this is the fault of the sculpture btw, but the manufacturing).

My feathered T. rex wouldn't stand for more than a second or two - leg quite badly warped.  My Psittacosaurus also wouldn't stand - leg really badly warped.  I returned them to the seller and had them replaced.  In both cases it was factory related, not sculpt or packaging.  The seller made sure the two replacements stood before despatching them.  Yes, I could have played with hot/cold treatment.  But it never seems to be a permanent fix and given the relatively high price of the rex......  I'm happy now - both lovely models.  I think the T. rex model's pose it such that it needs to be a perfect specimen - there isn't much wriggle room for any part of the leg being slightly out of true.

I for now have no problem with any of my figures, both the feathered tyrannosaurus rex, like the psittacosaurus, deinocheirus, coelophysis and velociraptor are perfectly well maintained without problems.

But I am aware that there must have been so many factory errors.

Victoria's Cantina

Just wondering if anyone has bought from Avalanche Brands on Amazon. According to Safari's site, they seem to be the only seller allowed to sell their products on Amazon. I generally purchase straight from Safari, but I have an Amazon gift card I'd like to use. But I wanted to check and see if they pack their products as well as Safari does.

joossa

Quote from: Victoria B on January 21, 2017, 06:32:05 PM
Just wondering if anyone has bought from Avalanche Brands on Amazon. According to Safari's site, they seem to be the only seller allowed to sell their products on Amazon. I generally purchase straight from Safari, but I have an Amazon gift card I'd like to use. But I wanted to check and see if they pack their products as well as Safari does.

I got mine from that seller on Amazon. Their sales are fulfilled by Amazon, so expect Amazon packing. IMO, Amazon needs to do a better job at packing their figures since they bounce around too much in the box and can get paint scuffs.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: joossa on January 21, 2017, 08:05:52 PM

I got mine from that seller on Amazon. Their sales are fulfilled by Amazon, so expect Amazon packing. IMO, Amazon needs to do a better job at packing their figures since they bounce around too much in the box and can get paint scuffs.

I have the same complaint about Amazon's book packaging.

@VictoriaB: I've gotten some bretty beat up figures when ordering directly from Safari too.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SBell

They just made it to Canada! The rest of the Safari dinosaurs!

They made a little pit stop at a local rest stop, to visit (fake) badlands!

And yes, there is a full-scale T.rex statue! (the Safari one is on his toe...)

And it is really as impressive as everyone has said--they all are. So far I haven't noticed any with warping or damage.

Everything can be found here https://faunafigures.com/product-tag/safari2017/

suspsy

Where in Alberta is that statue?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

CityRaptor

How did you get them standing up the rock?

As for the checking the statue:
T.rex: Check it out, it's me!
Giga: But why are you naked?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

terrorchicken

Quote from: joossa on January 21, 2017, 08:05:52 PM

I have... the good thing about Avalanche is that they always send the figures in their baggies. :)

Silvanusaurus

Well, i finally caved in and went to buy the new rex, but it was out of stock at Everything Dinosaur (annoyingly its come back in stock now), and i was desperate so I ordered it from Dinosaur Time, the other UK online dinosaur toy shop. To be fair, it arrived here quite speedily, but the figure was just loose (in its plastic bag) inside a cardboard box, with no bubble wrap protection or anything - consequently, the extremeties have suffered annoying paint loss as it's been battered about. The moral of this story? Have patience and wait for Everything Dinosaur to get stock back in, because they always package figures with ample bubblewrap.

The sculpt of the figure is obviously wonderful, and mine does stand on its two feet even though they are not flat on the ground, but the paint is not great - theres a large white smudge on its lower jaw from the teeth, and the white wash on the underside looks really naff to me. Fortunately, none of these things are a big problem as i'm eagerly anticipating giving the fellow a re-paint soon.

Postosuchus84

Quote from: Loon on January 21, 2017, 04:50:31 PM
The figure's legs warped to the point of the metal rod inside is now protruding out of a tear in the front of the ankle.

I'm getting a replacement, but I'd never received a figure in this shape before, especially not from my current lord and savior, Safari. Did/does anyone else have this issue with their figure?

I sincerely feel that's a big enough of an issue for the Quality Assurance to have stepped in back at the factory, but stuff does slide through the cracks sadly. I know when I was doing the Carnegie Collection I had to go through at least 4 of the 10th Anniversary Tyrannosaurs before I finally got one that wasn't lopsided with eyes that were at least in the same direction. That was a bunch of ouch for me. Hope you get a nice resolution and don't have to trial and error with it like I had to long ago.

Reptilia

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on January 22, 2017, 12:10:35 AM
The sculpt of the figure is obviously wonderful, and mine does stand on its two feet even though they are not flat on the ground, but the paint is not great - theres a large white smudge on its lower jaw from the teeth, and the white wash on the underside looks really naff to me.

Can't understand how they can get the paint of the eyes so neat and then mess so easily with the teeth.

tanystropheus

The sculpt of the figure is obviously wonderful, and mine does stand on its two feet even though they are not flat on the ground, but the paint is not great - theres a large white smudge on its lower jaw from the teeth, and the white wash on the underside looks really naff to me. Fortunately, none of these things are a big problem as i'm eagerly anticipating giving the fellow a re-paint soon.

My model of T-rex (probably, from the earlier batches on Amazon) has perfect teeth. A little too perfect as the model sports white teeth (a little beige would be nice). No issues with paint. The thing that I love about the teeth is that they are individually separated. I have the Carnegie Giga standing right next to it. The teeth on the Carnegie Giga are a bit smudgy looking. I have to admit, I got a pretty nice model of T-rex. I am not sure if I am one of the lucky ones, or if the majority of T-rexes look like mine. I can never really tell because negative complaints/feedback tend to be a lot louder than (and often overshadow) positive ones.

Victoria's Cantina

Thanks for your responses everyone! Good to hear the Avalanche figures come in their baggies. I too have had issues from time to time with Amazon's packing. Occasionally they'll send me a Star Wars figure in a bubble mailer, which obviously destroys the packaging most of the time. As long as they use a box with at least some padding things tend to be OK. Last time I ordered straight from Safari they packed everything very well; they even bubble-wrapped the Diplodocus to further protect it.

Mine has a brown smudge on the front teeth where it missed some white paint. It's not a deal breaker for me but it's a little annoying.

Loon

Quote from: Victoria B on January 22, 2017, 04:27:47 AM
Thanks for your responses everyone! Good to hear the Avalanche figures come in their baggies. I too have had issues from time to time with Amazon's packing. Occasionally they'll send me a Star Wars figure in a bubble mailer, which obviously destroys the packaging most of the time. As long as they use a box with at least some padding things tend to be OK. Last time I ordered straight from Safari they packed everything very well; they even bubble-wrapped the Diplodocus to further protect it.
Yeah, Amazon itself usually sucks at shipping. Several times, I've received figures whose packages were bent horribly to squeeze into a small box.

SBell

Quote from: suspsy on January 21, 2017, 10:48:29 PM

It's a small roadside tourism info centre (closed for the season--there are more dinos inside) about a half hour from the border (I drive down to pick up my Safari orders--saves a lot of postage, so Ican keep my prices in line with Safari's, in CDN). The town is called Milk River; not exactly Dinosaur Country here, but it is nearby, and it is the first major stop for driving traffic.

Quote from: CityRaptor on January 21, 2017, 10:49:28 PM

I had no problem getting them all to balance, where the rock was slightly horizontal. Even with the Giga's base. They are all really well-balanced.

;D

SBell

Quote from: SBell on January 22, 2017, 06:30:58 AM
Quote from: suspsy on January 21, 2017, 10:48:29 PM

It's a small roadside tourism info centre (closed for the season--there are more dinos inside) about a half hour from the border (I drive down to pick up my Safari orders--saves a lot of postage, so I can keep my prices in line with Safari's, in CDN). The town is called Milk River; not exactly Dinosaur Country right there, but it is nearby, and it is the first major stop for driving traffic.

I had no problem getting them all to balance, where the rock was slightly horizontal. Even with the Giga's base. They are all really well-balanced.

If you look close, you can even see that the T.rex is balancing just fine on the statue's toe! I couldn't reach the statue's hands, or it would have been there instead!

(really, I think I could have gotten the figure up there--wasn't sure if I could get it back down!)

;D

Shonisaurus

This shows that both the feathered tyrannosaurus rex and the rest of theropods and animals in which many forum members unfortunately have problems in keeping them standing remain perfectly balanced.

Unfortunately (I also consider myself a lucky one) the one that is not kept in this case the feathered tyrannosaurus rex is due to packing problems or to manufacturing faults

MLMjp

Quote from: SBell on January 21, 2017, 10:38:11 PM
They just made it to Canada! The rest of the Safari dinosaurs!

They made a little pit stop at a local rest stop, to visit (fake) badlands!

And yes, there is a full-scale T.rex statue! (the Safari one is on his toe...)

And it is really as impressive as everyone has said--they all are. So far I haven't noticed any with warping or damage.

Everything can be found here https://faunafigures.com/product-tag/safari2017/

Jajahahaha
That's cute  ;)

Jetdin

this makes me appreciate  high quality or any decent bases with any bipedal animal replica

SBell

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 22, 2017, 11:52:06 AM
This shows that both the feathered tyrannosaurus rex and the rest of theropods and animals in which many forum members unfortunately have problems in keeping them standing remain perfectly balanced.

Unfortunately (I also consider myself a lucky one) the one that is not kept in this case the feathered tyrannosaurus rex is due to packing problems or to manufacturing faults

I tend to agree. The T.rex and 'raptor are quite well balanced--but for the Giga to have such nice, slender (appropriate) legs, with a walking-stride in it's feet, it has to be on a base. It could never stand without it, and it would look really big-footed otherwise.

Plus, the base is very thin and barely noticaeable anyway.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: