News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jose S.M.

I don't mind if they are standard ws size, they look gooood hehe.  I think maybe the Diplodocus will be larger than most other ws figures. And maybe Giganotosaurus will be their biggest theropod yet.

Derek.McManus

empire3569

I am really getting the sense some of these will be larger than previous sculpts.... and here's why

1) Look at the teeth on the T-rex from the teaser pic and now the teeth from the Giganotosaurus from the video. These teeth are very small, sharp and well-defined, something we haven't seen on ANY previous WS therapod (look how blunt the teeth were on last year's Carcha). The way I see it this means that Safari has either vastly improved their molding/casting or these might be larger figures where details are easier to show

2) Look at the skin details on the Giganotosaurus and Diplodocus. They don't appear to have the typical scales on them, something almost every previous WS figure sculpted by the talented Doug Watson do have. Now maybe Doug just didn't want to sculpt the scales on his figures anymore, but it was something that immediately stood out to me.

EDIT: 3) The paintjobs are noticably different on these compared to previous Doug Watson models; before it appeared the pain was applied with airbrushing, whereas the diplo and gigano both appear to be hand-painted with little shading/color gradients. Almost reminds me of how some of the old Carnegie line was painted

Just my thoughts, hopefully we will get some confirmation soon one way or the other

suspsy

Hmmm. The Diplodocus and the Giganotosaurus don't look like Doug Watson's style.

I have to say, as exciting as these toys are, I am disappointed that there is no ceratopsian.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

DinoLord

I wonder if the detail could be a result of the depicted models being the prototypes? Does anyone remember what level of tooth detail Doug's past prototypes have shown?

Personally I'm okay with no ceratopsian - there's been no shortage of them in recent years!

Pachyrhinosaurus

I'm excited about these! I like the 2016 figures and all but I can't say I was as hyped about them as I am about these right now. Didn't Dan hint at something else being in the works when the discontinuation of the Carnegie line was announced? Anyways, bigger or not, I'm glad to see Safari took a step up this year.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Dilopho

Quote from: suspsy on September 15, 2016, 05:35:21 PM
I have to say, as exciting as these toys are, I am disappointed that there is no ceratopsian.
At least Collecta keeps coming out with more!

Jose S.M.

If the release date was later I would say they were prototype figures but the date is close so I don't know. About the teeth I don't have the carcha yet but they do look blunt.  In my  Monolophosaurus teeth aren't that blunt,  I was telling that toy brother just last night,  there are pointy tips in some of the larger. I can wait to see more and better detailed pics of this new ones 

MLMjp

All the dinos showcased in the video look very promising, the only thing that is left to know are their measurements, which are the selling point for me. :)

Really liked the Giga, interesting pattern and colors, although the skull seems to be based on the outdated elongated reconstruction. The Diplodocus looks good also. Those must be the ones that Doug did not sculpted since they look really different from his style.
But the big surprise was that Velociraptor! :))

It seems like we are in the beginning of a new era. The Age of the Feathered Dinosaur Toys!
Think about it, Collecta released three ornithomimosaurs, Papo made a feathered Velociraptor (not without it´s issues), we have David Silvas´raptors coming soon, Rebor will eventually release their Deinonychus trio....Heck! Even Schleich has some feathered dromaeosaurs for 2017 (they tried, but they did not succeed, as usually ::)) And know Safari joins the group with what seems to be the most accurate representation of a feathered dromaeosaur. Even the hands are covered in feathers!

PD:And that foot at the end was obviously from the feathered T.rex. ;D

Shonisaurus

The giganotosaurus reminds me of the Carnegie. The diplodocus looks good and the velociraptor reminds me vaguely in his colorful to Papo.

But he said until we see more images of these dinosaurs can not now say. The positive thing that dinosaurs have six figures instead of the five to which we were accustomed.

But the negative that the new figures are already represented all species in the universe of Safari or the old Carnegie. But you have to give time to assess everything that happens in Safari.

Doug Watson anyway always surprises every year for good.

terrorchicken

wow I saw lots of goodies there. my pooor wallet!
Im excited about the new dinos and Im fine with them staying WS size. I have to say Im not crazy about the distracting zebra stripes on the giganato though.

looks like were getting a new Pegasus and a recolored cloud dragon. The new green dragon looks interesting too...
A new reindeer, hopefully its bigger than their old one.
lol at Frodo
and holy carp! was that a werewolf?  :o

stargatedalek

This is the first year I've been more hyped for Safari's extinct offerings than their modern ones (probably because they seem to have taken a break from releasing outstanding fish this year and focused more on mammals). That being said that alligator and squid may end up being must haves depending on their size.

As others have mentioned I would love to see the Wild Safari line break with their size limits this year, but I doubt it's going to happen since it hasn't been that long since the ending of the Carnegie line. Imagine that dromaeosaur in the large size and softer plastic of the giant Incredible Creatures reptiles, wouldn't that be something.

pylraster

Wonderful proportions on that Giga.

Doug Watson

Hmmm. The Diplodocus and the Giganotosaurus don't look like Doug Watson's style.

From what I gather Safari Ltd still hasn't identified any of the pieces yet so all I can say is two of the prehistoric pieces in the video are not mine.

stargatedalek

I re-watched the video and is it just me or did the Tyrannosaurus foot have some give to it, as if it has made of softer plastic?

empire3569

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 15, 2016, 06:58:01 PM

From what I gather Safari Ltd still hasn't identified any of the pieces yet so all I can say is two of the prehistoric pieces in the video are not mine.

So I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the Giganotosaurus and Diplodocus are not yours, while that wonderful feathered dromaeosaurid is :)

empire3569

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 15, 2016, 07:02:07 PM
I re-watched the video and is it just me or did the Tyrannosaurus foot have some give to it, as if it has made of softer plastic?

I noticed that too... I'm not too convinced that is the feathered Rex foot, as the grey coloration doesn't appear to match the coloration of the skin on the snout in the promo pic. My guess is it is a different product

Flaffy

Same here, either it's the soft ground or it's the soft plastic.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Would that mean that these are production pieces and not prototypes?
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

darth daniel

The 'Diplodoccus`' neck seems much thicker than most depictions I´ve seen... Could it be an Apatosaurus or Brontosaurus?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: