News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 21, 2016, 02:29:37 AM
Also, I've never seen a company attempt it but what about inserting metal pieces into the feet to weigh them down? Surely it wouldn't cost more than an entire extra chunk of plastic. Papo uses this method to keep legs from bending but not for weight distribution (as they run through the entire leg).

That's an interesting idea.  I've been wondering if the Australian Age of Dinosaurs Australovenator uses that.

And (though I can't speak for others) I think lament best describes how I feel about the species choice of Velociraptor.

Why, because as you said it can only fill the role of itself or of species without skull material?  That's basically the case for so many dinosaur species, most of the 2017 Safari dinosaurs are examples of this.

Shonisaurus

By the way when they are to reveal pictures?

I can not wait to see the new Safari dinosaurs including deinocheirus, einosaurus and Coelophysis. I am interested in all the figures of dinosaurs Safari but these three figures called me more attention at relatively dark in the dinosaur toy market, although there are other companies that have made them.

Pachyrhinosaurus

For what it's worth, I remember Safari's sunfish had a base that was removable (though it was sold separately for a while).
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on September 21, 2016, 03:47:21 PM
Also, I've never seen a company attempt it but what about inserting metal pieces into the feet to weigh them down? Surely it wouldn't cost more than an entire extra chunk of plastic. Papo uses this method to keep legs from bending but not for weight distribution (as they run through the entire leg).

That's an interesting idea.  I've been wondering if the Australian Age of Dinosaurs Australovenator uses that.

And (though I can't speak for others) I think lament best describes how I feel about the species choice of Velociraptor.

Why, because as you said it can only fill the role of itself or of species without skull material?  That's basically the case for so many dinosaur species, most of the 2017 Safari dinosaurs are examples of this.

Sim, I'd been wondering what you thought of this Velociraptor. It hits all the things I think you've found lacking in other versions. I'm glad Safari announced early this year, as I'd been planning to pick up the Papo and now there's no need.

I think the AAOD Australovenator is weighted somewhere, but I think it's above and between the hips rather than in the legs. I'm not sure whether it's metal or just a denser plastic, but it definitely doesn't feel uniformly dense. I could be wrong, though. Maybe I should put it in a CT scanner! Totally not a frivolous use of extremely expensive equipment.

@stargatedalek: I think metal weights are probably several times more expensive than a plastic base, not only in material costs but also in labor. Plastic is about the cheapest thing there is.

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 21, 2016, 03:22:03 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on September 20, 2016, 08:19:45 PM
This is so great! My main problem with Safari dinosaurs has always been that there weren't more of them :)

CollectA was on pace to outnumber Safari in my collection just because of the sheer volume of their output. I am very happy to see that Safari will keep them at bay. Doug, I see your handiwork in some of these, like the Deinocheirus, Coelophysis, and Psittacosaurus, or do I mistake myself? The silhouettes have got me pretty stoked. The only ones we haven't seen are the Tyrannosaurus and Microraptor now, right?

Even though the cat is out of the bag until Safari Ltd intentionally identifies them I still can't say anything.
Right, of course! Regardless, you and whoever did the rest of the sculpts have done a bang-up job based on what we've seen so far.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

empire3569

Quote from: Andreioli on September 21, 2016, 05:45:07 PM
T-REX SILHOUETTE IS UUUUP !!!
https://www.safariltd.com/feathered-tyrannosaurus-rex

I was literally just coming here to post that lol. Looks like no base for Rex

SpartanSquat

Just the same, and looking the price T-rex looks like he will be big! Also why they didnt reveal the siloutte of Parasaurolophus?

Halichoeres

For those who prefer not to click through...
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Patrx

It's standing on two normal-looking feet without using its tail or a base! Truly a marvel of engineering. Doug managed the same feat with last year's Carcharadontosaurus.

Should I add the silhouettes to the first post, or wait until we have proper promo images?

Jose S.M.

Looks like in the promo poster the figure was place at an angle or something, it looked like it was looking up while this silhouette looks to be looking straight ahead

Flaffy

I wonder if PNSO's baby tyrannosaurus will go well with this beautiful beastie! ;)
Would pairing up the PNSO einiosaurus with Safari's offering look awkward together?

Andreioli

Based on the given measurements, this is how the figure should roughly compare to other large theropods:

empire3569

Quote from: Andreioli on September 21, 2016, 06:00:57 PM
Based on the given measurements, this is how the figure should roughly compare to other large theropods:

Thanks for the comparison pic. That looks like it will scale very nicely with most 1:40 scale models. I'm hoping the paint on the actual figure is as detailed/complex as in the promo pic!

terrorchicken

very impressive output for Safari dinos next year! But Ill admit I'm  bummed at the lack of new prehistoric mammals and looks like they wont even be rereleasing the andrewsarchus and arsinotherium? :(

QuoteThe harpy eagle and red-tailed hawk look amazing, and there's little doubt in my mind that I'll be tracking these guys down. Maybe the kookaburra as well.

as far as their extanct animals, I usually only like their birds as well as some other mythological creatures. I think Schleich, Papo and Collecta do a better job on bigger mammals (ungulates and carnivores etc.) The harpy eagle and kookaburra do look nice. :)

Nanuqsaurus

Big Safari dinosaur figures! This is exactly what I needed in my life! ;D

Shonisaurus

This year Safari will put the bar very high in terms of prehistoric animals.

Safari with Collecta are the best as regards Western scientific companies conducting prehistoric dinosaurs.

Moreover in the East Kinto and PNSO, and even Recur companies are as competitive as those already mentioned.

I welcome this toy war, in relation to the production of dinosaurs. We're in the golden age of dinosaur toy worldwide.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Patrx on September 21, 2016, 05:54:28 PM
It's standing on two normal-looking feet without using its tail or a base! Truly a marvel of engineering. Doug managed the same feat with last year's Carcharadontosaurus.

Should I add the silhouettes to the first post, or wait until we have proper promo images?

Wait for proper images. It won't be long. :)

suspsy

Quote from: Joe289 on September 21, 2016, 05:55:06 PM
Looks like in the promo poster the figure was place at an angle or something, it looked like it was looking up while this silhouette looks to be looking straight ahead

I figured as much based on the dimensions. If it really was rearing up like in the composite photo, it would be much taller than a mere 15 cm.

Thrilled and stoked though I am, I lament the fact that so many figures, several at a larger scale, mean much greater financial strain. :(

Oh well, c'est la vie! :)
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

MLMjp

Quote from: Andreioli on September 21, 2016, 06:00:57 PM

I am dying of happiness right now ;D ;D ;D ;D

I just get excited and more excited with every single post in this thread

CĀ“mon Safari, reveals those pictures already!

stargatedalek

Quote from: Sim on September 21, 2016, 03:47:21 PM
Yes that exactly. We don't have very many decent feathered dromaeosaurs and this is the first to have a properly thick neck, so I would have preferred if it were able to stand in for a larger number of species since that would partially make up for the overall lack of species variety. It's not something that detracts from the piece for me, it's just one less thing that it could have had going for it, if you gather what I mean.

Ignoring the alula since it was sculpted before alula were published in enantiornithes, my only issue with the Velociraptor itself is that the back legs seem a tad "human like" in the way the muscles bulge on the upper leg and then again on the lower rather than a smoother blend behind the knee. But that's more of a preference issue (or at least it was until we finally got to see the hind leg musculature of Psittacosaurus a few weeks ago, but again, that was only very recently published).

I will definitely be getting it, and I'm ridiculously excited for it at that, but if we only ever talked about the parts of things we liked than we'd all be parroting one another constantly.

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 21, 2016, 05:31:55 PM
@stargatedalek: I think metal weights are probably several times more expensive than a plastic base, not only in material costs but also in labor. Plastic is about the cheapest thing there is.
It definitely is, but in cases like CollectA where the base is often 1/3 of the entire mass of the plastic and the base requires assembly in the factory anyway I wonder if it could still save them money.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: