You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Chicago Field Museum Dinosaur Mounts

Started by amargasaurus cazaui, June 05, 2012, 09:17:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

I have a friend who visited the Field Museum late this past year and brought me some picures back. I have never gotten to visit Sue so I loved the pictures.  I figured I might share them, for those who cannot visit the establishment themselves. They are only of the dinosaurs , as that is my favorite, but for those who like that, enjoy. Special thanks to my friend Josiphine Hill.

The first couple show the Tyrant queen in her glory...Sue !
The next photo afterwards is her actual skull, taken from the side that isnt damaged.
The photo afterwards is her gastralia, left in-situ.
Following that is the skull for a Dasplateosaurus
The dinosaur model and skeleton pictured next, are I believe Afrovenator, but do not remember for sure.
The sauropod is a juvenile Rapetosaurus
Stegosaurus Stenops.
Parasaurolophus cyrtocristatus
Triceratops and skull

[attachment msg=11018][/attachment]
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Blade-of-the-Moon

Some really beautifully posed mounts there...something I would expect with such a popular museum.  Around here I'm lucky to find one dinosaur skeleton mount.

So...how was the gift shop ? ;D

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 05, 2012, 05:32:03 PM
Some really beautifully posed mounts there...something I would expect with such a popular museum.  Around here I'm lucky to find one dinosaur skeleton mount.

So...how was the gift shop ? ;D
As the pictures were taken by my friend Josi, and i was not there, I dont know for sure . Since she did not bring me back anything I should make her go back  HA
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

amargasaurus cazaui

This coming week I have tenative plans to visit the Museum of World Treasures in Wichita. They have a mount of Ivan the T Rex, the only one ever found with all of its vert intact apparently. They also have a Trike skull, a dasplateousaurus mounted over a downed Edmontosaurus, and the main reason I am going, a mounted Psittacosaurus. Due to the recent discussion regarding semi supinated hands versus pronated , I wanted to verify how the mount is posed.  I will try to score some good pictures of all

ZoPteryx

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Zopteryx on June 06, 2012, 02:10:06 AM
That Afrovenator model is neat!
I like how they posed it alongside the skeleton in a nearly identical pose, so you can compare the two so easily. They did a good job with it for sure.

Joel

Those are some great shots. I'd love to visit the Field Museum soon sometime and see Sue in person.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Joel on June 06, 2012, 06:24:12 AM
Those are some great shots. I'd love to visit the Field Museum soon sometime and see Sue in person.
I did not get to go myself, but she brought me some great pictures from the museum at least. I was impressed with the mounts and how well they are done.

Dinoguy2

The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on June 09, 2012, 08:04:26 PM
Quote from: Zopteryx on June 06, 2012, 02:10:06 AM
That Afrovenator model is neat!

That's a Herrerasaurus ;) /nitpick
Good call, I couldnt remember for sure which he was. I remember thinking it was a Sereno find, but wasnt sure which so much appreciated.

Sharptooth

Great museum, too bad it's SO far from where i live  ;D

I think that every dinosaur lover should see Sue at least once in his lifetime...

"I am the eyes in the night, the silence within the wind. I am the talons through the fire."

Meso-Cenozoic

These are great shots! Thanks for sharing them with us, and also tell your friend thanks for taking them!

I'm originally from northern Indiana, only a 2-3 hour drive to Chicago. Next time I'm home visiting, I've got to plan a trip to the museum. I've been there before, but it's been a very long time now, and Sue was definitely not there yet. You're right. Everyone should try if they can to see this magnificent beast at least once in their lifetime! And the rest of the museum isn't too shabby either. ;)  I moved from Indiana in the mid 80's to LA and then on to NYC, where I still live today in the metro area. I'm sure The Field Museum has changed a lot since I was there last!

DinoLord

Those are some nice pictures. I went there back in late 2010. It was right after Christmas, so they had the Christmas lights up when I went too.

The gift shop was quite nice when I went. There Carnegie Collection figures, Schleiches, and Kaiyodo Dinotales Series 3 figures in the boxes. They also had all four figures from the Sue at the Field Museum Line by Safari, all of which could be found in huge quantities in bins.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: DinoLord on June 14, 2012, 01:22:12 AM
Those are some nice pictures. I went there back in late 2010. It was right after Christmas, so they had the Christmas lights up when I went too.

The gift shop was quite nice when I went. There Carnegie Collection figures, Schleiches, and Kaiyodo Dinotales Series 3 figures in the boxes. They also had all four figures from the Sue at the Field Museum Line by Safari, all of which could be found in huge quantities in bins.
wow Kaiyodo series three no less...I seem to always miss out.

Metallisuchus

If any of you are ever in the Philadelphia area, be sure to visit The Academy Of Natural Sciences - the gift shop there has a huge selection (mostly Carnegie/Safari), and there are some good mounts.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Metallisuchus on June 14, 2012, 03:56:05 AM
If any of you are ever in the Philadelphia area, be sure to visit The Academy Of Natural Sciences - the gift shop there has a huge selection (mostly Carnegie/Safari), and there are some good mounts.
Awesome. The next time you go do we get some pictures? I would love to see them !!

Metallisuchus

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on June 14, 2012, 04:01:23 AM
Quote from: Metallisuchus on June 14, 2012, 03:56:05 AM
Awesome. The next time you go do we get some pictures? I would love to see them !!

I did go, back in Spring of 2010, and my girlfriend did take pics. I'll have to find them. I also have pics of Don Lessem's exhibit at The Franklin Institute (Giant Mysterious Dinosaurs) which I'll probably post over the weekend.

amargasaurus cazaui

I did go, back in Spring of 2010, and my girlfriend did take pics. I'll have to find them. I also have pics of Don Lessem's exhibit at The Franklin Institute (Giant Mysterious Dinosaurs) which I'll probably post over the weekend.
[/quote]

That would be awesome. I cannot wait, would love to see them all. Thanks in advance for sharing them.

Metallisuchus

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on June 14, 2012, 05:43:57 AM

That would be awesome. I cannot wait, would love to see them all. Thanks in advance for sharing them.
[/quote]

Don't thank me yet, lol. Now I feel really obligated, haha.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.