News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor Club Selection: Lourinhanos Skeleton in Egg "Bony Bonnie"

Started by joossa, September 16, 2016, 08:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megalosaurus

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Halichoeres

Lourinhanosaurus seems like an unusual choice for them! Usually they put out the standard big name theropod fare.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bucklander

Damn those wrist joints! I actually really like this one. Why can't Rebor just get it RIGHT?!!!  :'(

(I guess they did with their Dimoprphodons - easily their best figures so far - but seriously, if they're going to go to all the trouble, how hard would it be to get their prototype assessed by an expert?) :-\

tanystropheus

The REBOR Lourinhanosaurus has pronated wrists because the Lourinhanosaurus by Wizscience.com also has pronated wrists. In collaboration with Eofauna (a science-focused company).  Make of that what you will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6gPWJB4Qsk

stargatedalek

Neither Eofauna nor Wizscience are particularly impressive, it's honestly not surprisingly REBOR would choose them of all "science" companies to work together with. They aren't dissimilar to Geoworld, if that sets the bar low enough.

postsaurischian

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 12, 2016, 03:40:37 AM
Neither Eofauna nor Wizscience are particularly impressive .......

C:-) Untrue! I find some of Eofauna's sculptures quite impressive.

Their elephants are wonderful: http://eofauna.com/en/esculturas
I'd love to have the Guanlong skull: http://eofauna.com/replicas/guanlong
The Dodo is a masterpiece: http://eofauna.com/en/esculturas/el-dodo

They're definitely playing in a different league than REBOR.
REBOR can only benefit from this collaboration. That's good :).

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

stargatedalek

Quote from: postsaurischian on October 12, 2016, 12:21:58 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on October 12, 2016, 03:40:37 AM
Neither Eofauna nor Wizscience are particularly impressive .......

C:-) Untrue! I find some of Eofauna's sculptures quite impressive.

Their elephants are wonderful: http://eofauna.com/en/esculturas
I'd love to have the Guanlong skull: http://eofauna.com/replicas/guanlong
The Dodo is a masterpiece: http://eofauna.com/en/esculturas/el-dodo

They're definitely playing in a different league than REBOR.
REBOR can only benefit from this collaboration. That's good :).
I hadn't noticed they had a website, a brief search only revealed some shrink-wrapped skeletal reconstructions (yes normally the outline of skeletals is intended to only show musculature, but these were clearly intended to show soft tissue [some even had a very minimal coating of feathers]) bearing their logo. And I couldn't find anything about any "Wizscience" except numerous cheap-seeming kits for children (many of which did not seem to even be made by the same manufacturer).

Glad to be pleasantly surprised by their own website, but if this piece is anything to go by it seems REBOR are the ones wearing the pants here, so I'm still far from optimistic.

Shadowknight1

It's a neat idea, especially if it's useful as Halloween decor(I have a bird skeleton in my room for much the same reason).  Have they said whether the model is PVC or polystone?  Because if it's polystone like the other hatchlings, that would make it rather useless as decoration and then I would have to judge it a bit more harshly like stargatedalek.  Seriously, I can't unsee the darn wrists now. :P
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

postsaurischian

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 12, 2016, 07:56:10 PM
Glad to be pleasantly surprised by their own website, but if this piece is anything to go by it seems REBOR are the ones wearing the pants here, so I'm still far from optimistic.

I understand your concerns. But when it comes to Dinosaur toy evolution, I'm hopelessly optimistic.
Because it IS getting better all the time (Beatles song)  ....... except for Schleich and Bullyland of course ::) ;D.

Mo_the_Triceratops_King

Quote from: postsaurischian on October 13, 2016, 01:04:22 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on October 12, 2016, 07:56:10 PM

I understand your concerns. But when it comes to Dinosaur toy evolution, I'm hopelessly optimistic.
Because it IS getting better all the time (Beatles song)  ....... except for Schleich and Bullyland of course ::) ;D.
true.Bullyland..they made a great stego and the great lambei saurus but the rest...too much toy like.

tanystropheus

I agree, a great Stegosaurus, a superb Lambeosaurus....and an aesthetically pleasing Therizinosaurus that is anatomically incorrect.

Some decent prehistoric mammals, tho...but that's about it.

CityRaptor

Well, Bullyland also has those now retired Triassic creatures based on displays in the Museum am Löwentor. And the Edaphosaurus.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

joossa

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Raptorqueen89

I've always wanted a little skeleton hatchling so I'm definitely going to add this one to my collection! To quote Rebor on fb they said "A new material call soft resin, very durable and does not break easily, hand-numbered like other hatchling statues".  I also love Allosaurus so I'm excited!

DinoLord

If it weren't for the wrists I actually may have gotten this one.  :-\

Takama

Quote from: Raptorqueen89 on November 05, 2016, 02:43:17 AM
I've always wanted a little skeleton hatchling so I'm definitely going to add this one to my collection! To quote Rebor on fb they said "A new material call soft resin, very durable and does not break easily, hand-numbered like other hatchling statues".  I also love Allosaurus so I'm excited!

Makes me wonder why they did not MAKE ALL OF THERE PRODUCTS OUT OF THIS MATERIAL in the first place

Gwangi

I dunno, aside from the wrists the skeleton looks good enough to my untrained eye. And it's an interesting piece. Certainly wouldn't be the only one in my collection with pronated hands. I might actually have to get this one. We'll see how much they charge for it.

EDIT: The illustration shown with the model was done in 2003 by "S. Mateus". I wonder if they mean Octavio Mateus who described Lourinhanosaurus? Surely they must.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Takama on November 05, 2016, 11:58:58 PM
Quote from: Raptorqueen89 on November 05, 2016, 02:43:17 AM

Makes me wonder why they did not MAKE ALL OF THERE PRODUCTS OUT OF THIS MATERIAL in the first place
Sounds to me like a material they tried specifically for this product.  For one thing, making it a polystone statue like their other hatchlings would've made it incredibly fragile.  Maybe the same for PVC.  As for using this material on their regular dinos, the fact that it says "SOFT" would make me wary since even their normal PVC figures can be subject to warping.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Raptorqueen89

Quote from: Gwangi on November 06, 2016, 04:18:36 AM
I dunno, aside from the wrists the skeleton looks good enough to my untrained eye. And it's an interesting piece. Certainly wouldn't be the only one in my collection with pronated hands. I might actually have to get this one. We'll see how much they charge for it.

EDIT: The illustration shown with the model was done in 2003 by "S. Mateus". I wonder if they mean Octavio Mateus who described Lourinhanosaurus? Surely they must.

yes I asked Eofauna and they said this baby is based off of Mateus's description :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: