News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

H

Papo Oviraptor 'Cassowary' Variant

Started by hao_bao, September 27, 2016, 08:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hao_bao

Hi all. I've been a lurker on this forum for a number of years but today my colour variant of Papo's Oviraptor arrived and I thought some of you would be interested in seeing it up close and side by side with the old model. I know it's not a favourite on this forum due to its outdated design, but I liked the cassowary colour scheme and decided to bite the bullet. (Apologies for the below average quality of the images.)

Flaffy

I'm actually really fond of the new colours! ^-^
If only they got rid of that levitating egg... ;)

Roselaar

It's lovely, but I won't buy it if I need to get it in a set with the common brown Rex. Or is there a place when you can buy it separately now?

hao_bao

Quote from: Roselaar on September 27, 2016, 10:33:15 PM
It's lovely, but I won't buy it if I need to get it in a set with the common brown Rex. Or is there a place when you can buy it separately now?

Unfortunately not. :( I've got 5 adult Rexes now.

CityRaptor

I guess those two could work as either different subspecies or different sexes. Or it is due to filler DNA if you put them into a Jurassic Park like scenario.  ( That is how the difference in colors on the Raptor Squad are explained in Jurassic World background material)
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

hao_bao

Quote from: CityRaptor on September 28, 2016, 11:35:19 AM
I guess those two could work as either different subspecies or different sexes. Or it is due to filler DNA if you put them into a Jurassic Park like scenario.  ( That is how the difference in colors on the Raptor Squad are explained in Jurassic World background material)

Yeah I see the new one as a male with gaudy courtship colours, although it would be nice if they had different poses. I don't think I'll be buying more repaints because I have the brown, grey and green raptors, both standing and running Rex colour schemes, plus the brown and green babies. It's getting a bit much...

suspsy

It's definitely more attractive than the original. I like that Papo has been moving away from boring old brown, green, and grey.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Mo_the_Triceratops_King

If papo could stop making rainbow reskins and create new dinos that would be great.

I like colors on my dinos but they shoundt look like they went to a gay parade.  ;) I prefer cool looking colored dinos.

CityRaptor

Well, unlike bland mammals, many Dinosaurs today are pretty colorful. And as mentioned in the thread title...

"Watch your words, mammal!"
Oh no

Flaffy

Quote from: Mo_the_Triceratops_King on October 03, 2016, 08:35:59 PM
If papo could stop making rainbow reskins and create new dinos that would be great.

Many modern dinosaurs are pretty colourful and/or has beautiful complex paternings and shades of similar colours.
But I have to agree that papo should stop with the unnecessary repaints.
I prefer cool looking colored dinos.
Define 'cool'.
I like colors on my dinos but they shoundt look like they went to a gay parade.  ;)
Ok?

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: Mo_the_Triceratops_King on October 03, 2016, 08:35:59 PM
I like colors on my dinos but they shoundt look like they went to a gay parade.  ;) I prefer cool looking colored dinos.

Are you having a laugh? I don't care for the colours on this Oviraptor myself, but...

Quotethey shoundt look like they went to a gay parade.  ;)

...Seriously?  ???

teddybier

So what's the story with this one? I've completely missed it.. Same thing as with the rainbow raptor/rex set last year?

Is there anything known about the availability of this Oviraptor? Besides the Wonderlandmodels shop in Ireland?
And how do you guys find out about these repaints? They are not on the Papo website, are they?

Questions.. questions..

Thanks in advance for clarifying  ^-^

Roselaar

Quote from: teddybier on October 04, 2016, 04:44:45 PM
So what's the story with this one? I've completely missed it.. Same thing as with the rainbow raptor/rex set last year?

Yes, it comes in a similar set, together with a regular Brown T-Rex. So it's only the Oviraptor you really want if you already have a Rex. Real disappointing.

Saurox

I really like it. My brown T rex is a slightly darker shade of brown so it complements the the green ones in they're ever so slightly varying shades.

oscars_dinos

Does anyone know another website that sells the set ???

Sinornis

Having been face-to-face with an adult Cassowary, and lived to tell about it, I can see why Papo would use this most beautiful color scheme. What I cant understand is why Schleich decided to turn Archaeopteryx into a Scarlet Macaw in its new Ready-to-play kit #42261. The Microraptor in the set more subdued with brown and cream tones, a little easier on the eyes.

http://avianmusing.blogspot.com/

CityRaptor

Isn't it obvious? They really like to paint things red.
Oh no

Derek.McManus

Quote from: teddybier on October 04, 2016, 04:44:45 PM

Is there anything known about the availability of this Oviraptor? Besides the Wonderlandmodels shop in Ireland?
And how do you guys find out about these repaints? They are not on the Papo website, are they?

Questions.. questions..

Thanks in advance for clarifying  ^-^

Wonderland models is in Edinburgh in Scotland not in Ireland, it's a very interesting shop to visit with a huge range and a good mail order department.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: