News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What do you look for in a toy/model?

Started by laticauda, October 22, 2016, 08:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the main thing you look for in a dinosaur toy/model

Color/Paint job
4 (12.1%)
Pose/texture
7 (21.2%)
Rarity/availability
1 (3%)
Genera/species
11 (33.3%)
Scientific accuracy
18 (54.5%)
Price
4 (12.1%)
Completing a collection
2 (6.1%)
Scale/size
4 (12.1%)
Brand
2 (6.1%)
Doesn't matter, if its a dinosaur, I want it.
0 (0%)
Doesn't matter, I'll take any ancient animal.
0 (0%)
Child hood memories/nostalgia
4 (12.1%)
It has personality
5 (15.2%)
Uniqueness
1 (3%)
Customization Possibilities
0 (0%)
Vintage/classic
1 (3%)
Articulation/gimmicks
0 (0%)
material/Resin/Plastic/Rubber
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 33

laticauda

I have seen a similar topic, but it is a curious question.  When you look at a toy/model, why do you like it? What is the motivating factor in choosing what toys/models for your collection?

For me, it starts with the color and pose.  Those are the first two things I look at.  Then, I get to genera.  Scientific accuracy doesn't rate that highly for me.  Sure, I would like them to be accurate, but its not my main motivator for choosing the models that I have. 

That's me, what about you?  What do you look for?

Kayakasaurus

I thought everyone agreed with me  :D then I saw I was the first to vote  :))
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Jose S.M.

I'm going to look so cheap for voting price  :-[ :)) :)) :)) but since shipping costs are too expensive for me right now, I have to be careful with that aspect, since the total shipping costs tend to be like half (or sometimes even more) than what I pay for the actual models. Thankfully most of the Safaris and Collectas, and other brands that I've purchased, are within what I consider acceptable. I actually started a to save some spare money every paycheck into what I call "dinosaur savings" so I won't feel very guilty for spending money in expensive figures in the future hehehe

DinoLord

Tough to choose just two. My main criteria is that a figure is accurate and aesthetically pleasing, at a reasonable price. However if it is of a genus I really love then I am generally willing to shell out more cash for a larger, higher-end piece. Thus I don't go about wanting every single Sideshow statue or resin kit that comes into existence.

MLMjp

Just two options??? It´s difficult to choose only two criteria. >:(

Laticauda you could have allowed us to choose at least three. :-\  But I if I have to choose I pick scale and genus/species. But scientifically accurate is also another important factor, but since sometimes I pick inaccurate figures because I like them or because they are valuable pieces (like JP toys) I´m leaving it out.

Silvanusaurus

Pose and species for me I think, if it has to be two. If the figure looks dynamic (not necessarily in movement) or alive, I'm interested. If it's also a species I connect with either aesthetically, personally, scientifically etc. then I'm buying. Sometimes in spite of a price I shouldnt really be affording... That's just a general view though, there are other possibilities... If it's a genera I'm determined on collecting, like Baryonyx, then I'll buy any and all comers... also, sometimes there's a figure that just has some non-specific quality that 'grabs' me, without any particular reason. It could even be something that's aesthetically, scientifically or morally awful, but if it has that special 'something' that pushes my button, I will eagerly cast aside my dignity to possess it.

Derek.McManus

I generally buy the ones I find attractive to look at!

Shonisaurus

The reasons why I buy a dinosaur of all is

1) That the toy or collectible figure is scientifically correct.

2) Make it a vanguard animal in the sense that it is a dinosaur whose remains are known in an acceptable manner but whose figure has never done, that is rare.

3) On the other hand I like the price is commensurate with the quality regardless of brand. I like the quality of the texture is nice and that without the least number of seams in this dinosaur.

4) I also interested in the pose that is as realistic and interesting from the scientific point of view.

5) On the other hand I appreciate that this dinosaur (since I am very impatient regarding new) is available in both physical and online (which is surely the future not only of the toy market but the entire market sales and purchase market generally in a digitalized world) as soon as possible. I especially like Safari mark in relation to which those figures are available in the online trade-final earlier this year. No waiting months to collect these figures.

Those five things is what I value most or model of a dinosaur toy.

Gwangi

I tend to buy models that I find aesthetically pleasing, which also happen to be the more accurate models. But I also buy based on nostalgia (childhood memories) which is why I also collect Tyco, Kenner, Invicta, and other older stuff. Price and size are important too. I only have so much shelf space dedicated to dinosaurs and I won't buy something expensive/large unless it is a special occasion. Also with two dogs, two cats, and a toddler, I'm hesitant to buy anything fragile or expensive. Toys by Safari and similar companies are my main attraction; affordable, accurate, aesthetically pleasing.

suspsy

Accuracy generally comes before all else.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

stargatedalek

Quote from: suspsy on October 23, 2016, 12:59:10 AM
Accuracy generally comes before all else.
Same here, I focus mostly on modern animals which undoubtedly plays a large part in that.

That being said, if an inaccurate design is intended as a work of fiction I let that slide.

The Atroxious

Since I could only pick two, I chose genera and scientific accuracy. That is to say that I almost exclusively collect maniraptoriformes, and that if the toy doesn't look like the animal it's supposed to represent, I'm not interested. That's not to say that these are hard and fast rules, since I'll collect the odd non-maniraptoriform theropod if it strikes my fancy, and I'm open to artistic license for the sake of making the figure more visually interesting. More specifically, my purchases come down to the questions "Do I believe this animal could look like this?" and "Do I find this particular representation pleasing to the eyes?". If both answers lean toward "yes" then I'll buy the figure.

So far, however, if it's not a theropod, I'm simply not going to buy it. I'm not ruling out adding the odd stegosaur or plateosaur sometime in the future, but for now I like keeping to a theme.

laticauda

Quote from: MLMjp on October 22, 2016, 10:13:20 PM
Just two options??? It´s difficult to choose only two criteria. >:(

Laticauda you could have allowed us to choose at least three. :-\  But I if I have to choose I pick scale and genus/species. But scientifically accurate is also another important factor, but since sometimes I pick inaccurate figures because I like them or because they are valuable pieces (like JP toys) I´m leaving it out.
Sorry, but my intention was to make this tough.  >:D  I understand the complexities that come from making a choice, but  to really understand why, you have to look at what the most important factor is, and strip away the less important reasons.  Most of the things that I listed, are things that I think about when I am making a choice on what figures I choose to get. 

Thank you for choosing and please forgive me for being difficult.   :)

Faelrin

Hmm, it would have to be color and genera as my first choices for getting a figure. I'm more likely to prioritize getting figures of my favorite creatures, then a really good figure of a creature that isn't. The coloration or paint job of a figure is also important to me. If I can't look at it and think this works, or this is natural, or this looks nice to me, then I'll probably pass it. For the other things I consider important, but less so then the first two, in this order, detail and texture, accuracy, and then articulation. I really prefer figures with some texturing or good detail work on them. I am willing to let accuracy slide if it looks like a nice enough figure for me (in the case of the Papo figures), and then there's finally articulation. I like articulation, and enjoy playing around with a figure that has it, but its not going to stop me from getting a figure without it, since my figures will be spending more time on display anyhow. On the other hand having articulation opens up potential posing or diorama options then without.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

ceratopsian

Like the rest of you, I found it really tough to narrow this down to two.  In the end I went for Genus/species and Pose.  I prefer herbivores but have lots of carnivores in my collection.  I'm especially fond of ceratopsians.  I also like models of (relatively) recently discovered dinosaurs and also of dinosaurs that are seen less often as models.  I do like models where the animal is doing something a bit more unusual or interesting rather than standing stolidly. But scientific accuracy is important to me - I probably won't buy anything that glaringly "make-believe", but I'll overlook smaller issues. I guess you could say that "plausibility" is important to me.  Colour is important to me - I prefer things not to be too "brown all over" but equally I don't on the whole like them too garish.  I like my beasts to be aesthetically pleasing.  I prefer careful paint jobs.  Scale doesn't worry me, within reason, as I see my models usually as individuals rather than a group assemblage.  Size also isn't too important to me - but I don't buy too many large models, because of the obvious space issue.  I'm influenced by brand - but I think that's more because I like some brands' style more than others rather than any brand loyalty per se.

Libraraptor

Doesn't matter, I'll take any ancient animal.

I guess this is what fits my approach best if I were to narrow it down. Plus I have to like looking at them, so I like Papo for example although they´re not scientifically accurate.

tyrantqueen

I choose scientific accuracy and pose/texture, because the latter is the closest thing to what I want in most of my dinosaur sculpts- a high degree of technical skill from the individual who sculpted it.

RobinGoodfellow

As a collector, I like to complete every line as much as possible ( Carnegie, Safari, Collecta, Favorite etc...).
I can choose not buying a piece only if I really don't like that specific figure from a line..
The artistic quality of a piece is the most important thing to me (even more than accuracy ).
I can buy a figure also if it's an uncommon species.
I also like rare, vintage and hard-to-find figures.
:)

Archinto

I like large figures, especially toy grade. Im more into toy figures than statuary figures. Ive got a huge soft spot for articulated figures and really really love old vintage rare and funky dinosaurs the absolute most.
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

scdinosaurs

Just the first look to decide if wanna buy,no more reasons, like fall in love some girl without any reason,just like :)) :)) :))
We customize Interactive,Entertaining,Educated Dinosaur Costumes
www.scdinosaurs.com
https://www.facebook.com/himi.ho.98
https://www.instagram.com/scdinosaurs/

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: