News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Archinto's Mods & Customs

Started by Archinto, October 27, 2016, 12:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archinto

I figured since I've been dabbling in the field of repair and modification, I'd make a topic dedicated to my custom resculpts and repainted figures. I like to focus on JP figures, but may delve into modifying other figures if I get some damaged bodies...  >:D

This is what got me into playing with the figures in the first place.... This Thrasher T-rex looked so sad when I saw him on ebay with his sad doggie chewed friends...

Battle Scarred a thrasher T-Rex by Archinto, on Flickr Battle Scarred a thrasher T-Rex by Archinto, on Flickr

Here he is now with all his parts. It was missing the front of the face and jaw, the chin, half of one arm, the innermost toe claw on each foot, the heel on the right foot and the tail tip. From my past experiences, its hard to make anything that dries hard work with JP rubber until I discovered Magic Sculpt epoxy. OMG this stuff is wonderful! Look how it has helped my poor rexy! Gave it more of a movie face. Not quite as derpy  as the thrasher t-rex's face actually looks.

Finished nose repair by Archinto, on FlickrFinished nose repair by Archinto, on Flickr

Repaired thrasher T-Rex by Archinto, on Flickr

Repaired thrasher T-Rex by Archinto, on Flickr

This is my first truly heavy figure mod. This was a broken face, burned electronics JP screamers dilophosaurus, turned into a juvenile male Allosaurus

Custom Jurassic Park Lost World Juvenile Male Allosaurus by Archinto, on Flickr

I fattened up the neck, body and tail, and also added to the legs and made pads for the feet. I cut the crests off on the bench grinder and used my epoxy clay to build up the figure, then painted it with my good model paints. The electronics were toast in this figure so I took out the batteries and blocked off the electronics. The thing sold within 12 hours of posting it, so naturally, I wanna make more! :p

I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

MLMjp

Is sad to see broken figures indeed :'( But you have done a fantastic job with the thraser! Like it was never broken (almost ::)) I have JP3 Spino with some battle damage and sometimes I wish I could do mods and customs like this one so I could somewhat restore it.

BTW, the Thraser Rex is supposed to be the female from TLW so technically it is a she. ;)

Archinto

Quote from: MLMjp on October 27, 2016, 04:26:52 PM
Is sad to see broken figures indeed :'( But you have done a fantastic job with the thraser! Like it was never broken (almost ::)) I have JP3 Spino with some battle damage and sometimes I wish I could do mods and customs like this one so I could somewhat restore it.

BTW, the Thraser Rex is supposed to be the female from TLW so technically it is a she. ;)

Haha whoops i missed that there. It was late when I posted and I spaced it out  ::) tee hee

Ive done repairs to the spinos. They are really hard to work on because of the thin-ness of the rubber. If theyget torn you have to use a backer piece to repair the skin. Hasbro really did bad by using that soft wiggly rubber on their dinos. The stuff is really prone to deterioration vs the good rubber on the kenner figures.
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.