News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Walking With Dinosaurs 2

Started by Neosodon, November 03, 2016, 01:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neosodon

Not sure if this is legit or not but 2 years ago this intro came out claiming that there were plans create a new WWD. Haven't heard anything else about it and just curious if anyone knows anything.
https://youtu.be/ssiU1tHJtbQ
I love the rising sun with the dinosaur scream. ^-^

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Pachyrhinosaurus

As much as I'd like a continuation, the animation of the ornithopod at the end and the inclusion of a JP///-esque spino lead me to believe it's not official.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

DinoLord

Yeah I imagine it's not official. But there hasn't been a new TV dinosaur documentary series for a few years; seems like we're overdue.

JL4Raptor

Ah, I got excited when I saw this, but yeah chances are it's not official. My son has just reached the age where we're letting him watch the first one and he absolutely loves it, wanting to learn all the names of everything he sees!

Uncle Rex

I hope it's for real. The BBC should be able to confirm.

Neosodon

Quote from: Uncle Rex on November 03, 2016, 12:27:02 PM
I hope it's for real. The BBC should be able to confirm.
I don't know if it will be done by BBC or not. It had AH instead at the beginning.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

SpartanSquat

Sorry guys, but this is fanmade. Watching the youtube channel its a mod designer for Zoo Tycoon 2, Hendrix, he is one of the designers of Aurora Designs

Neosodon

Quote from: RolandEden on November 03, 2016, 11:43:56 PM
Sorry guys, but this is fanmade. Watching the youtube channel its a mod designer for Zoo Tycoon 2, Hendrix, he is one of the designers of Aurora Designs
That's too bad but thanks for clearing that up. WWD is my favorite movie ever made and I am really hoping they will make a new one more up to date.

Silvanusaurus

Given the richness of new discoveries and perceptions since it's creation, even about the very same dinosaurs that were in the original series, it's almost criminal that a new up to date series hasn't been concieved. If it was produced with scientific rigour and authenticity, it could really offer a spellbinding source of inspiration and education for a wide audience, and undermine the common acceptance of the 'Jurassic World' monsters.
I have to say though, if it were to be done, my level of interest would only peak if it used real landscapes and environments like the original series, and not fully CGI alternatives. That was part of what made Walking With Dinosaurs so atmospheric and engaging, it had a sense of physicality that is completely missing from later shows that just look like a video-game, and are thus so visually boring.

Everything_Dinosaur

Valid points, but we had some involvement in the "Walking with Dinosaurs" series and its aftermath, it remains the most costly television documentary made in terms of the amount of footage shown, certainly the most expensive ever from the BBC's point of view.  I can't recall the exact cost but we did calculate that the expenditure was in the region of $105,000 USD for every minute of actual screen time.  Guinness Book of Records got in touch a couple of years ago now, and I think this information ended up in their annual "World Records" book.

Admittedly, it did bring in a lot of revenue for BBC Worldwide and I think it was the corporations most successful exported programme for a couple of years.  We think it is highly unlikely that the BBC would introduce a revised and updated "Walking with Dinosaurs Two" based on the same production values, the use of puppetry, locations and so forth.  It's just too expensive and, although I wholeheartedly agree with our comments about the atmosphere and sense of physicality with the 1999 series, with CGI being so much cheaper, the CGI route would the most likely option for most directors and producers.

Neosodon

Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on November 04, 2016, 09:44:39 AM
Valid points, but we had some involvement in the "Walking with Dinosaurs" series and its aftermath, it remains the most costly television documentary made in terms of the amount of footage shown, certainly the most expensive ever from the BBC's point of view.  I can't recall the exact cost but we did calculate that the expenditure was in the region of $105,000 USD for every minute of actual screen time.  Guinness Book of Records got in touch a couple of years ago now, and I think this information ended up in their annual "World Records" book.

Admittedly, it did bring in a lot of revenue for BBC Worldwide and I think it was the corporations most successful exported programme for a couple of years.  We think it is highly unlikely that the BBC would introduce a revised and updated "Walking with Dinosaurs Two" based on the same production values, the use of puppetry, locations and so forth.  It's just too expensive and, although I wholeheartedly agree with our comments about the atmosphere and sense of physicality with the 1999 series, with CGI being so much cheaper, the CGI route would the most likely option for most directors and producers.
I did a little research and found that WWD cost $9.9 million. While that may sound expensive Jurrasic World cost $150 million (15X as much). JW is shorter and in my opinion inferior to WWD. If the Jurassic park series can make a $150 million sequel every 5 or so years it seems like WWD could make a $9.9 million sequel every 20 years.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Neosodon on November 04, 2016, 05:34:37 PM
Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on November 04, 2016, 09:44:39 AM

I did a little research and found that WWD cost $9.9 million. While that may sound expensive Jurrasic World cost $150 million (15X as much). JW is shorter and in my opinion inferior to WWD. If the Jurassic park series can make a $150 million sequel every 5 or so years it seems like WWD could make a $9.9 million sequel every 20 years.

Maybe, although the licensing and distribution rights are certainly worth less by an order of magnitude.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SBell

The company that did the actual effects work moved on long ago--they did some work with ITV for the Primeval series aftre they wrapped up the Chased by Dinosaurs series (with Nigel Marven). I don't think they ever intend to go back to the WwD well.

Unless you count the 2013 WwD movie, the one with Pachhyrhinosaurus and poop jokes (in the original theatrical run). And given the overall disappointing returns on that venture, I doubt we'll see much more from WwD any time soon.

gfxtwin

For anyone hankering for a documentary about dinosaurs, there's gonna be a documentary in theaters called Voyage of Time that features lots of special effects shots of dinos.  It attempts to use visual fx to show the big bang through to the end of earth and supposedly a large chunk of the runningtime is devoted to showing prehistoric animals.

SpartanSquat

Quote from: SBell on November 06, 2016, 04:03:15 PM
The company that did the actual effects work moved on long ago--they did some work with ITV for the Primeval series aftre they wrapped up the Chased by Dinosaurs series (with Nigel Marven). I don't think they ever intend to go back to the WwD well.

Unless you count the 2013 WwD movie, the one with Pachhyrhinosaurus and poop jokes (in the original theatrical run). And given the overall disappointing returns on that venture, I doubt we'll see much more from WwD any time soon.
You mean Framestore? They are now busy...Primeval effects after serie 3 were made by The Mill (Now Milk VFX). Mostly this is the decision of BBC, not by the Special Effects House.
Probably we wont see nothing related with WWD, but a documentary like Planet Dinosaur could be cool.
@gfxtwin: I think the documentary was released months ago.

Neosodon

Quote from: SBell on November 06, 2016, 04:03:15 PM

I don't think WWD 2013 is a bad movie but the thing I dislike about it the most is the name. WWD 2013 is a kids movie and to name it after WWD BBC (the best dinosaur documentary ever made) is degrading to the original series. WWD BBC appeals to a wider audience and I don't think it's fair to compare how successful  a second season of it would be based on the performance of WWD 2013.

Flaffy

WWD2013 was the one of the worst movies I've seen. Why in the world did they add c-grade dialogue to a visually stunning movie (or what could've been). The random poop jokes and nachos just killed my mood for dinos for the day...  :-\

stargatedalek

I quite liked it myself, it helped that I was the only person in the theater.

CityRaptor

I think the movie itself was not bad, it's just the dialogue reel that is the problem. Wasn't there a dialogue less version somewhere?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Flaffy

Quote from: CityRaptor on November 21, 2016, 09:35:54 AM
I think the movie itself was not bad, it's just the dialogue reel that is the problem. Wasn't there a dialogue less version somewhere?
Yeah, it's called 'Cretaceous Cut'.
But i heard that although it didn't have that horrible voice over, it cut out the sound effects as well, and replaced it with random orchestra music...  :-\

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: