News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo New for 2017

Started by Takama, November 04, 2016, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachyrhinosaurus

Nice selection. I'll probably only buy the cave bear and maybe the cryo or cerato. My first thought from the cryo is that it looks like the sideshow allosaurus.

Quote from: suspsy on December 16, 2016, 11:53:51 PM
I'll have more thoughts to post later, but that is the ugliest Smilodon figure I've ever seen. :-[

I think that title would go to Bullyland for me. But this one's a close second.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

CityRaptor

The ugliest Smilodon is clearly Schleich's!

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 17, 2016, 12:06:07 AM
The Smilodon i thought was part of the fantasy line at first lol
True. The Smilodon just needs some armor and a half-naked barbarian riding on it.

Quote from: Takama on December 17, 2016, 12:01:21 AM
Quote from: Rain on December 16, 2016, 11:58:54 PM
I'm really liking that Crylophosaurus. The Acrocanthosaurus looks like it'd pair well with Rebors with a matching paintjob. I like how bulky the Ceratosaurus is but I'm not really a fan of how the head turned out on the Dimorphodon. It looks like it doesn't really belong on a Pterosaur. I dont collect mammals but that mane on the Smilodon is strange..

I thought it was obvious that they only made it like that Because it was ripped from JW

I guess that means that Papo taking inspirations from a certain movie franchise still can happen.

Also, is this just me or does the Acro's color scheme resemble that of the so-called "Rainbow" T.rex?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on December 17, 2016, 12:01:21 AM
Quote from: Rain on December 16, 2016, 11:58:54 PM
I'm really liking that Crylophosaurus. The Acrocanthosaurus looks like it'd pair well with Rebors with a matching paintjob. I like how bulky the Ceratosaurus is but I'm not really a fan of how the head turned out on the Dimorphodon. It looks like it doesn't really belong on a Pterosaur. I dont collect mammals but that mane on the Smilodon is strange..

I thought it was obvious that they only made it like that Because it was ripped from JW

The best reconstruction of the JW Dimorphodon I've seen yet. Hasbro doesn't even count to me.

Quote from: Joe289 on December 17, 2016, 12:05:27 AM
I think I might get the Cryolophosaurus, the sculpt and color looks great, but that pose is plausible?

I think so, reminds me of a " watch out" moment.  Just put a Papo croc in front of him and it will look great i think.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 17, 2016, 12:13:07 AM
The ugliest Smilodon is clearly Schleichs!

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 17, 2016, 12:06:07 AM
The Smilodon i thought was part of the fantasy line at first lol
True. The Smilodon just needs some armor and a half-naked barbarian riding on it.

lol paint it green then for neo-he-man   ;D

Takama

Who said Papo would not copy TV shows?

At least its not the EXACT same patterns but i cant help but think that the Dinosaur Revolution Crylophosaurus had something to do with this

stargatedalek

Quote from: Takama on December 17, 2016, 12:18:23 AM
Who said Papo would not copy TV shows?

At least its not the EXACT same patterns but i cant help but think that the Dinosaur Revolution Crylophosaurus had something to do with this
By that logic we might as well say it's based on the Primal Carnage Cryolophosaurus:

You're grasping at straws, Dinosaur Revolution isn't exactly well known.

Shadowknight1

I have to imagine that either the Cryolophosaurus or the Ceratosaurus are smaller sized like the Carnotaurus.  I can't imagine them releasing three large therapods in one year.  dat Acro though! ;D  I love those colors, it's going to look quite interesting next to the Rebor!  This can't come soon enough!
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

AcroSauroTaurus

My opinions.

Cave Bear: decent, but not really a must have for me.

Smilodon: Just looks like Scar with longer teeth and a shorter tail, and I really don't like manes on my Smilodon...

Dimorphodon: Clearly based off of JW, but with the colors of the level 20 Dimorph in the app game, worst of the group. 2nd worst Dimorphodon figure, after the actual JW Dimorphodon.

Cryolophosaurus: I like it, colors are good, sculpt is good. Pose is "in action" just like the Baryonyx. I'll get this one.

Ceratosaurus: Perfect, amazing, best of the bunch.

Acrocanthosaurus: Despite being the one I was the most hyped for, I really don't like the pose. Its the Battat Terra Acro problem all over again... Hopefully it comes with a plastic tray to keep it from bending on its hand. I will get it though, because its an Acrocanthosaurus. And at least its not the colors I have planned for the Acro for my figure line.
I am the Dinosaur King!

EarthboundEiniosaurus

If we're comparing the Cryolophosaurus color scheme to anything I think the best match would be the new Sideshow Ceratosaurus, the black detailing on the neck, back, and tail is almost an exact replication.

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

Takama

Quote from: EarthboundEiniosaurus on December 17, 2016, 12:34:09 AM
If we're comparing the Cryolophosaurus color scheme to anything I think the best match would be the new Sideshow Ceratosaurus, the black detailing on the neck, back, and tail is almost an exact replication.

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus

You know, that makes much more sense then my comparison to Dinosaur Revolution.    They do have a habbit of copying Sidshow

SpartanSquat

Thanks for sharing this Jetoar! But @stargatedalek: Sorry to say but the skin of cryolophosaurus is based on sideshow ceratosaurus. Takama: Maybe a mix

DinoLord

If only the Acro and Cerato weren't hand tripods... I'll take tail tripods over those any day.

digant

I think it's a good batch, well except for the smilodon. The dimorphodon is a little disappointing but other than that, it's great! Especially looking forward to the cryo

Blade-of-the-Moon

Lets see..i'm betting the sizes are as follows :

Acro : Baryonyx sized
Cerato:  Allosaurus sized
Cryo : toss up Carnotaurus or Allo sized.

suspsy

So why is there no official photo of the Polacanthus?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SpartanSquat

Quote from: suspsy on December 17, 2016, 01:11:16 AM
So why is there no official photo of the Polacanthus?
If polacanthus is exclusive from the shop?
Maybe in the official catalog will appear.

tanystropheus

Quote from: digant on December 17, 2016, 12:42:29 AM
I think it's a good batch, well except for the smilodon. The dimorphodon is a little disappointing but other than that, it's great! Especially looking forward to the cryo

It's probably the best (or at least coolest looking) Dimorphodon I've ever seen.
As far as the other models are concerned, I think Papo is really relishing its 'monster' roots. They seem borderline believable, but with an element of 'gnarliness'.  Not sure why the Acro and the Cerato have the same pose, though. Nice use of colors, not as drab as they used to be.
Glad they didn't make a red Cerato (that would be cliche)

tanystropheus

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on December 17, 2016, 12:32:24 AM

Dimorphodon: Clearly based off of JW, but with the colors of the level 20 Dimorph in the app game, worst of the group. 2nd worst Dimorphodon figure, after the actual JW Dimorphodon.

I think it is the best Dimorphodon figure with REBOR's as number two and three. I am also looking forward to CollectAs deluxe version.

suspsy

I seriously don't understand how anyone can possibly look at that atrocious Dimorphodon and claim that it's good, let alone one of the best. The naked body alone disqualifies it.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SpartanSquat

Its me or Acrocanthosaurus head reminds me a little to Indominus head?
@suspsy: The people probably its refering to the detail of the model. There is a difference of accurate and sculpting. Papo some dinosaurs wont be accurate but the detail is great! Specially in the dinosaurs. Smilodon and Cave bear doesnt look well but I like the mane on the Smilodon

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: