News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo New for 2017

Started by Takama, November 04, 2016, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Atroxious

The Cryo is really the only one I'm interested in, and it's not terribly high priority. I expected a lot more from the Acro to be honest. After all the rumors that Papo would be releasing an Acrocanthosaurus, I had high hopes, considering how much I like their Allosaurus. I couldn't wait to see another carnosaur from them. Unfortunately, that Acro isn't nearly as visually interesting as their Allosaurus, but what's worse is that it barely looks like a carnosaur to begin with. Its face doesn't have that trademark carnosaur taper, and it's altogether too heavily built. They changed some of the things that make carnosaurs so attractive to me, and I'm not especially impressed. I was also secretly hoping that the Acro would be inspired by the Indominus, but depicted as a real animal, but no such luck on that count either.

The Dimorphodon looks incredibly cartoony, like a Disney sidekick that's supposed to be "cute" and "funny" at the cost of accuracy and plausability so as to be more appealing to audiences, akin to Pascal from Tangled. Dimorphodon is the only pterosaur I've considered getting figures of since I was a small child, but this one doesn't do anything for me.

The rest don't hold my interest at all. I do agree, however, that the Smilodon is absolutely ridonkulous.

stargatedalek

Quote from: The Atroxious on December 17, 2016, 01:37:21 AM
The Cryo is really the only one I'm interested in, and it's not terribly high priority. I expected a lot more from the Acro to be honest. After all the rumors that Papo would be releasing an Acrocanthosaurus, I had high hopes, considering how much I like their Allosaurus. I couldn't wait to see another carnosaur from them. Unfortunately, that Acro isn't nearly as visually interesting as their Allosaurus, but what's worse is that it barely looks like a carnosaur to begin with. Its face doesn't have that trademark carnosaur taper, and it's altogether too heavily built. They changed some of the things that make carnosaurs so attractive to me, and I'm not especially impressed. I was also secretly hoping that the Acro would be inspired by the Indominus, but depicted as a real animal, but no such luck on that count either.
In no way is it heavily built, let alone to much so. That Acrocanthosaurus is shrink-wrapped to its core, the neural ridge, skull, neck, and chest all stick out painfully. It's better than REBOR's (scientifically), but that's not saying much.

SpartanSquat

Cryo is still dubios if its a dilophosaur or a tetanurid?

Takama

Quote from: RolandEden on December 17, 2016, 01:49:22 AM
Cryo is still dubios if its a dilophosaur or a tetanurid?

LAst i read, it was a Tetanurid.

Faelrin

I think the only one I like enough is the Cryolophosaurus. I always had a soft spot for this one when I was a child, though the copying on this one is pretty blatant. I'm honestly not sure if there are any alternatives out there for this genus though.  I would have preferred a cool (think blues, etc cool) color scheme but that may be a bit overdone for this theropod found in Antarctica.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

John

Ceratosaurus !!! ;D
I will be going for this one when it comes out.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Gwangi

I like all the theropods, perhaps the Ceratosaurus the most. I even like the cave bear but it won't be high priority for me. I'll definitely pass on the Dimorphodon, especially with the CollectA coming out. The Smilodon has some weird artistic choices, I don't really like that one at all.

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on December 17, 2016, 01:23:49 AM
I seriously don't understand how anyone can possibly look at that atrocious Dimorphodon and claim that it's good, let alone one of the best. The naked body alone disqualifies it.

It has a variant of mange and distemper  ;)

It looks like a cool JP Dimorphodon, a bit cooler actually. REBOR's version is actually more accurate than Papo's this time around  :o

It also looks "alive" and has a great pose!

tanystropheus

The Dimorphodon looks incredibly cartoony, like a Disney sidekick that's supposed to be "cute" and "funny" at the cost of accuracy and plausability so as to be more appealing to audiences, akin to Pascal from Tangled. Dimorphodon is the only pterosaur I've considered getting figures of since I was a small child, but this one doesn't do anything for me.

Toony! Exaggerated yes, but surely not toony ;)
And its not cute. It's fugly the way Dimorphodons have always been depicted.

tanystropheus

Has anyone noticed that none of theropods have pronated hands?

Flaffy

Geez, all these poses look very awkward to me...
The mammals: ugly
Dimorphodon: JW rip-off
Ceratosaurus: Decent, but something looks off about it
Acrocanthosaurus: Basically the baryonyx of the bunch
Cryolophosaurus: Looks good, horrible pose

I just hope they won't be all baryonyx sized...
Carno-allo sized papos I'll consider, but big ones are out of the question for me.
Especially with their recent increase in price.

suspsy

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 17, 2016, 02:21:44 AM
Quote from: suspsy on December 17, 2016, 01:23:49 AM
I seriously don't understand how anyone can possibly look at that atrocious Dimorphodon and claim that it's good, let alone one of the best. The naked body alone disqualifies it.

It has a variant of mange and distemper  ;)

It looks like a cool JP Dimorphodon, a bit cooler actually. REBOR's version is actually more accurate than Papo's this time around  :o

It also looks "alive" and has a great pose!

Actually, it has a terrible pose. Its tail is in the process of being painfully broken in multiple places. Its wings are far too small, to the point of being atrophied. Its shrinkwrapped head is also too small and its feet are too large. It's easily the worst out of the three pterosaurs Papo has done so far.

After the feathered raptor was revealed last year, I really thought that Papo was improving in terms of doing their research. Guess I was wrong.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 17, 2016, 02:26:23 AM
Has anyone noticed that none of theropods have pronated hands?

Mentioned it a couple pages back ;)

I'm surprised no else has mentioned it.  Years back everyone complained about incorrect hand positions and wrists being broken, now it's fixed we overlook it and talk about a lack of feathers and how under fed they look. lol

I wonder if this is all of them? Maybe these are just a " predator" wave and the Polacanthus will be part of a herbivore release? I mean this is quite a few prehistoric critters already compared to previous years.

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 17, 2016, 01:43:49 AM
In no way is it heavily built, let alone to much so. That Acrocanthosaurus is shrink-wrapped to its core, the neural ridge, skull, neck, and chest all stick out painfully. It's better than REBOR's (scientifically), but that's not saying much.

I went back and looked harder at the picture after reading your post. The eye socket looks too deep right now, but the rest just looks heavily muscled to me. The ridges are visible but they could just be flush with meat on the spines and not the spaces between?   Muscles work for me, most of these guys showed some heft.

Sim

Quote from: Faelrin on December 17, 2016, 02:11:37 AM
I think the only one I like enough is the Cryolophosaurus. I always had a soft spot for this one when I was a child, though the copying on this one is pretty blatant. I'm honestly not sure if there are any alternatives out there for this genus though.  I would have preferred a cool (think blues, etc cool) color scheme but that may be a bit overdone for this theropod found in Antarctica.

These are the Cryolophosaurus figures I know of: http://toyanimal.info//index.php?title=Cryolophosaurus

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Hmm, not sure this year's batch does much for me. I sorta like the Polacanthus and the Ceratosaurus, though I don't know if I'll actually bother getting them.

Patrx

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 17, 2016, 12:06:07 AM
Quote from: Patrx on December 16, 2016, 11:56:33 PM
The new theropods are looking pretty cool, but man if they aren't the most 90's reconstructions put to plastic.

Lucky I dig the 90's then  lol

Is it the lack of feathers? these three species I don't think there any evidence?  The hands look correct, color and detail look good. no really generic theropod heads, i'm actually pretty impressed.

Nah, not feathers, it's the shrinkwrap that's killing 'em for me - and a pet peeve, decorative scutes all around the edges of the fenestrae, calling yet more attention to them. Not impossible, certainly, but, well, not to my liking.

Sim

Quote from: Patrx on December 17, 2016, 03:17:07 AM
Nah, not feathers, it's the shrinkwrap that's killing 'em for me - and a pet peeve, decorative scutes all around the edges of the fenestrae, calling yet more attention to them. Not impossible, certainly, but, well, not to my liking.

I completely agree.  I definitely share that pet peeve with you!  It's the first thing I noticed about the Papo Ceratosaurus.

SBell

I like the cave bear. The rest are too garish for me.

Assuming that, like the Kaprosuchus, it isn't over $40, because that's just too much; the Schleich one is good for me!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Patrx on December 17, 2016, 03:17:07 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 17, 2016, 12:06:07 AM
Quote from: Patrx on December 16, 2016, 11:56:33 PM
The new theropods are looking pretty cool, but man if they aren't the most 90's reconstructions put to plastic.

Lucky I dig the 90's then  lol

Is it the lack of feathers? these three species I don't think there any evidence?  The hands look correct, color and detail look good. no really generic theropod heads, i'm actually pretty impressed.

Star mentioned that as well, I just don't see a ton of shrinkwrapping though? Not as much as say this :
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/deanosaurs/media/DeJankins%20website%20photos/PNSO/Lufengosaurus_zpsnhxlzz3t.png.html

I see a bit but mostly they look to have a lot of muscle and skin folds?

I can't help you with the osteoderms..I love scales, bumpy lumpy ones, sharp spikey ones,  all kinds really..I love texture. lol

Patrx

Quote from: Sim on December 17, 2016, 03:27:24 AM
I completely agree.  I definitely share that pet peeve with you!  It's the first thing I noticed about the Papo Ceratosaurus.

It stings, too, because otherwise I really like the Cerato! Alas.

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 17, 2016, 03:38:19 AM
Star mentioned that as well, I just don't see a ton of shrinkwrapping though? Not as much as say this :
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/deanosaurs/media/DeJankins%20website%20photos/PNSO/Lufengosaurus_zpsnhxlzz3t.png.html

I see a bit but mostly they look to have a lot of muscle and skin folds?

Well, most of the bodies look fine, more or less. The skulls, not so much. Anytime the fenestrae are visible, it just looks retro to me.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: