News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo New for 2017

Started by Takama, November 04, 2016, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reptilia

Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on January 15, 2017, 10:31:06 AM
I like the color on these pictures much more than the previous one, it looks much more natural.

Yes, that orange background was quite distracting, here you can appreciate the figure much better.

Reptilia

Papo site is back up with updated galleries, here are the official images of the 2017 figures:

Saurox

Reptilia

Polacanthus is already available for purchase from Urzeitshop. For the others I wouldn't expect them before late february or early march. Last year Baryonyx was out by mid february, Kaprosuchus and Velociraptor came just few weeks later. However this year we have more figures so they might come out in a couple different waves.

suspsy

I wonder how many more times Papo is going to repaint that damn raptor. I'm sure glad I'm not a completist.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Takama

Quote from: suspsy on January 17, 2017, 01:07:03 AM
I wonder how many more times Papo is going to repaint that damn raptor. I'm sure glad I'm not a completist.

That Damn Raptor is the same repaint as the Exclusive from last year

PumperKrickel

deleted

suspsy

Shoot, if they repainted the feathered raptor in some spiffy new scheme, I'd probably buy it. And I'd almost certainly buy a repainted Triceratops.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Reptilia

I hope Papo's done with repaints in general, until it was just green and brown rexes plus two raptor variants it was fine, but in the last couple of years the thing went out of control.

John

The two prehistoric mammals appear to be made from 3D prints.If you look at the cave bear,you can even see the step lines from the printing process. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

BlueKrono

I was womdering why those two had such a marked reduction in quality compared to the dinos. The hair detail is pretty bad.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Shonisaurus

Quote from: BlueKrono on January 17, 2017, 10:31:13 AM
I was womdering why those two had such a marked reduction in quality compared to the dinos. The hair detail is pretty bad.

Papo's mammals are unfortunately very poorly finished. As discussed, they are of much worse quality than the dinosaurs and flying reptiles of the same brand.

CityRaptor

Papo's Prehistoric Mammals that is. Their modern ones look rather nice, as far as mammals go.

So Papo did not Build-A-Bear, they instead went with Print-A-Bear instead.

Quote from: suspsy on January 17, 2017, 01:07:03 AM

Might be because I'm used to this thanks to also being a Jurassic Park Fan, but Raptors get repainted a lot. And Papo is by far not the worst when it comes to that.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Sentry on January 16, 2017, 10:37:55 PM
Any clues on releases?

In regards to cryolophosaurus according to the facebook page of everythingdinosaur.co.uk comments that it would not be available unfortunately until summer. It's the only thing I heard so far.

Reptilia

Quote from: John on January 17, 2017, 06:59:58 AM
The two prehistoric mammals appear to be made from 3D prints.If you look at the cave bear,you can even see the step lines from the printing process. :)

The Cave Bear shows a strange texturing indeed, but I doubt we'll see it replicated on mass produced models. The Smilodon looks pretty nice instead, and not a 3D print at all to my eye. It has Mr Seo's signature sculpt, I like it much more now that I can appreciate the detail in better quality.

John

Quote from: Reptilia on January 17, 2017, 01:40:33 PM

The Cave Bear shows a strange texturing indeed, but I doubt we'll see it replicated on mass produced models. The Smilodon looks pretty nice instead, and not a 3D print at all to my eye. It has Mr Seo's signature sculpt, I like it much more now that I can appreciate the detail in better quality.
CollectA's newer models for at least the last 3 or so years are all from 3D prints too,and they do a very good job of removing the step lines.So it would not surprise me to see Papo do the same. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Shonisaurus

Quote from: John on January 17, 2017, 03:37:38 PM

CollectA's newer models for at least the last 3 or so years are all from 3D prints too,and they do a very good job of removing the step lines.So it would not surprise me to see Papo do the same. :)

Man is of tremendous reality that already everything is done in 3D impressions I would not be surprised that all the companies and not only Papo are added to that technique. It is much cheaper and more importantly more practical.

It is what will take with the arrival of the new technologies.

Halichoeres

Quote from: John on January 17, 2017, 03:37:38 PM

That's the first I've heard of that. So does that mean each piece is 3D printed, or just the original design, from which a physical mold is made?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Daspletodave

I'm liking all the new releases except for the Smilodon and the Cryo. The Cryo looks like a bad movie monster - too lizard like.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 17, 2017, 06:28:15 PM
That's the first I've heard of that. So does that mean each piece is 3D printed, or just the original design, from which a physical mold is made?

I would imagine only the prototype/master is printed. Schleich does this too for some of their models.

I think someone on another forum found 3D printing layers on the Papo octopus, as well. I saw it in a store once but didn't notice anything.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: