News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Were Ceratopsians Like Hooded Seals?

Started by suspsy, November 15, 2016, 12:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/tetrapod-zoology/the-ridiculous-nasal-anatomy-of-giant-horned-dinosaurs/

I love that Darren Naish is willing to cross scientific boundaries and engage in very fun, harmless speculation. And for the record, I would totally buy a Triceratops figure with inflated nasal tissue. Get on it, Doug Watson!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

CarnegieCollector

I don't know how I feel about this depiction.
I don't know if I should scream, laugh, or be intrigued. Or all three.     ;D
It is really quite Intresting though, thanks for sharing! I like speculations like these.
Is there an alternate universe in which dinosaurs collect figures of people?

laticauda

lt would completely accent its facial features.  A brightly colored head and flaring nostrils, whats not to love. 

Archinto

The enlarged naris probably housed fleshy folds packed with blood vessels for extra cooling when the animal breathed. I would imagine they were relatively fast moving creatures, and would need that nasal capacity for cooling like a dog uses its tongue when panting.

I not sold on them being used for display equipment.
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

stargatedalek

Perhaps not nearly so extravagant as the example, but the idea of them inflating to some degree makes a great deal of sense.

amargasaurus cazaui

It is an amusing image , I think. I do think it within possibility although not to the extreme shown. It does offer some thought ...given the massive size of a triceratops skull, they had to have some methods in place of venting braincase and skull heat. Some of these guys had massive heads that had to generate a lot of heat between eating, breathing and bellowing.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Libraraptor

It simply doesn´t feel right. I prefer Louis V. Reys depiction. Most probably there was more flesh and tissue in the faces of dinosaurs than in the oldschool shrink wrap portraits. But the kind of tissue shown here looks completely incredible and would even have impeded the animal while eating.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.