News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

How would you like feathers to be applied to future models?

Started by Neosodon, December 03, 2016, 07:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spinosaurus1

the darkness around the eyes is just the cast shadow from the keratinous crest above the orbitals. it's actually lighter around the eyes compared to the surrounding skin and has a tint of pink you look at other photos with different lighting. it's definitely not shrinkwrapping by any sort.

as for the tail, well thats aesthetic in nature with quite a bit of scientific backing and while i don't mind it, it's fine that others won't share the sentiment. regardless though, it's still remains a plausible interpretation.

again, this is all down to opinion. and i personally can't get enough out of the saurian tyrannosaurus design.

Newt

I suspect feathered dinosaurs showed about as great a range of variation in the extent, density, length, and texture of their plumage as modern mammals do in their pelage; I think modern birds are less apt as models because they show a lesser range of size and most of them are constrained by their need to use feathers in flight. So any of the reconstructions shown here seem at least plausible for certain species.

That said, I personally find the "A" reconstruction foolish looking, and it seems to me like a desperate attempt to cling to old-style reconstructions as much as possible while still acknowledging the presence of feathers.

Fenestra

I'm actually good with all 5 examples given.
As long as I find it artistically valid or beautiful and as long as it looks natural, I don't really favour any of them.
I even like the scruffy number B. T-Rex.
He looks like a mean mountain gorilla.

Killekor

Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Neosodon

Quote from: Newt on December 06, 2016, 01:11:34 PM
I suspect feathered dinosaurs showed about as great a range of variation in the extent, density, length, and texture of their plumage as modern mammals do in their pelage; I think modern birds are less apt as models because they show a lesser range of size and most of them are constrained by their need to use feathers in flight. So any of the reconstructions shown here seem at least plausible for certain species.

That said, I personally find the "A" reconstruction foolish looking, and it seems to me like a desperate attempt to cling to old-style reconstructions as much as possible while still acknowledging the presence of feathers.
A was most likely in therapods early in families before feathers were fully evolved. A could have also been on large or any therapods that lived in hot climates.

There is a 65 million year gap between modern birds and dinosaurs so I agree that feather layout on modern birds is not the perfect comparison to how feathers on dinosaurs would look.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.