You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Feathered dinosaur tail preserved in amber

Started by DinoToyForum, December 08, 2016, 06:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

Lanthanotus

Thanks for linking,..... if you find/get access to the according paper, I bet some people would really appreciate if you would share it ;)

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Viergacht

EmperorDinobot

Digibasherx

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/feathered-dinosaur-tail-amber-1.3885813

New post - Dino tail feather found in amber.  This is pretty exciting news.  I'm sure any amber seller will be checking thrice before selling now.

DinoToyForum

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Lanthanotus on December 08, 2016, 06:32:20 PM
Thanks for linking,..... if you find/get access to the according paper, I bet some people would really appreciate if you would share it ;)

It seems to be freely available: http://www.cell.com/current-biology/pdf/S0960-9822(16)31193-9.pdf

Pachyrhinosaurus

I never would have expected anything like this to show up, but it begs the question of how it was preserved to begin with. Was there a dinosaur running around with a chunk of resin on its tail until it died? Or did it get stuck and die from a predator or starvation?
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Blade-of-the-Moon

I would figure it's a discard from a predator or it was stuck and died and was all that preserved...worse case it had a prehistoric leprosy that is now lying dormant waiting to spread again!  ;D

I think we're moving closer to finding a whole dinosaur trapped in amber one day..at least i hope so!

Derek.McManus

Sounds fascinating I am again impressed by the amazing finds that are appearing with such frequency nowadays! I wonder did anyone predict this is the appropriate thread?

Neosodon

So this kind of stuff doesn't just happen in the movies! It was really mysterious looking at it up close. Like looking directly into the past. Saw an ant and what looked like a creepy spider crawling up the tail but it could of just been a weird clump of feathers.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Neosodon

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 08, 2016, 07:31:02 PM
I think we're moving closer to finding a whole dinosaur trapped in amber one day..at least i hope so!
Amber is tree sap right? I have a hard time imagining a tree leaking enough sap to preserve an entire dinosaur but it sure would be cool if we got one of T Rex and finally put the whole feather debate to rest.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on December 08, 2016, 07:24:54 PM
I never would have expected anything like this to show up, but it begs the question of how it was preserved to begin with. Was there a dinosaur running around with a chunk of resin on its tail until it died? Or did it get stuck and die from a predator or starvation?

The paper says:

"The close contact between the skin and surrounding amber, paired with the mummified external appearance of the skin where it has shriveled across the surface of the vertebrae, suggest one of two scenarios. Either the tail bearer was dead and partially desiccated before encapsulation, or else it rapidly dried due to resin interactions. " (p.3)

In other words, they don't know.

EmperorDinobot

It's impossible to know the taphonomic details on this fella. All we know is that we're so lucky to be seeing this now!

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

stargatedalek

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on December 08, 2016, 08:10:02 PM
It's impossible to know the taphonomic details on this fella. All we know is that we're so lucky to be seeing this now!
Impossible to be sure, but I think it's safe to rule out dromaeosaurs and true birds since the vertebrae aren't fused or supported.

Quote from: Neosodon on December 08, 2016, 07:43:05 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 08, 2016, 07:31:02 PM
Amber is tree sap right? I have a hard time imagining a tree leaking enough sap to preserve an entire dinosaur but it sure would be cool if we got one of T Rex and finally put the whole feather debate to rest.

The articles I've seen say the amber chunk was "about the size of a dried apricot", which is not too uncommon a find. The tail fragment preserved inside was just a juvenile. It sure would be nice if we could find a swimming pool-sized chunk with a larger, complete dinosaur sometime! I can't even imagine how many trees would have to fill that, though, hahaha!

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on December 08, 2016, 08:26:06 PM
Look at that beauty!!!!!

Anybody else fascinated by the weird branching patterns of those feathers?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 08, 2016, 08:26:50 PM
Quote from: EmperorDinobot on December 08, 2016, 08:10:02 PM
Impossible to be sure, but I think it's safe to rule out dromaeosaurs and true birds since the vertebrae aren't fused or supported.

"taphonomic", not taxonomic. ;)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: