News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Longisquama + Sharovipteryx

Started by tanystropheus, June 24, 2012, 04:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

I recently came across the following reptiles, Sharovipteryx and Longisquama, and found their phenotypes quite intriguing.  I was wondering if anyone knows if the aforementioned non-dinosaurs were ever represented as toys, or models. I think Sharovipteryx and Longisquama would make for some excellent Shapeways pieces....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharovipteryx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longisquama

Seijun

They look like something David Peters would enjoy.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

SBell

Quote from: Seijun on June 24, 2012, 06:03:56 AM

I'm sure he has manipulated photos for those to determine something at some point. Maybe as part of his 50-character revision of the entire diapsid line of reptiles...

As for figures, there is an odd Longisquama figure from the Dino Magic line (short-lived to say the least). Sharovipteryx hasn't been made before.

tanystropheus

I totally agree---David Peters seems to have a penchant for the exotic! :)

Himmapaan

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 26, 2012, 02:58:31 AM

It isn't merely the exotic he has a penchant for...

tanystropheus

Quote from: SBell on June 24, 2012, 04:15:41 PM

I'm sure he has manipulated photos for those to determine something at some point. Maybe as part of his 50-character revision of the entire diapsid line of reptiles...

As for figures, there is an odd Longisquama figure from the Dino Magic line (short-lived to say the least). Sharovipteryx hasn't been made before.

I came across some of his manipulations, but I'm not exactly familiar with his background and level of expertise---Is he considered unconventional with respect to prehistoric theories, ideas, and/or classification?

Dino Magic? That seems like an odd choice (along with the Thecodont?)

tanystropheus

Quote from: Himmapaan on June 26, 2012, 03:03:11 AM

Lol, tell me more! I'm new to this David Peters guy :D

SBell

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 26, 2012, 03:07:47 AM

I came across some of his manipulations, but I'm not exactly familiar with his background and level of expertise---Is he considered unconventional with respect to prehistoric theories, ideas, and/or classification?

Interesting choice of words--unconventional. No, he just has a hard time with the processes of science and peer review. Specifically, that it demands rigorous use of data and repeatable results. He does not produce either of these.  But to hear it from him, it's because he 'knows' stuff that no one else understands, and they want to keep him down. Even though his methods include things like using computers to manipulate photos of pterosaurs from books, and then concluding that he sees structures and behaviours (like clinging babies) that people looking at the actual specimens can't see, even using his work as a guide. Much of his work showed up in PT Magazine until another professional wrote in to explain the 'other side', at which point he became quite quiet.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 26, 2012, 03:08:45 AM
Quote from: Himmapaan on June 26, 2012, 03:03:11 AM

Lol, tell me more! I'm new to this David Peters guy :D
He used to be a great artist....then he started going weird.

http://paleoking.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/strange-journey-of-david-peters.html will tell you everything you probably need to know about the guy.

ZoPteryx

Thanks for posting that link Tyrantqueen! :D  I always knew Mr. Peters's methods and theories were a little, uh, unconventional, but I had no idea how heated things were between him certain scientists! :o

As for the two critters at hand, I'd love to see replicas made of them, but I feel like David Peters has given them a bad rap :-\.  Maybe they could star in a new Safari toob, so long as they don't look like his restorations!  ;)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Zopteryx on June 27, 2012, 05:48:10 AM
Thanks for posting that link Tyrantqueen! :D  I always knew Mr. Peters's methods and theories were a little, uh, unconventional, but I had no idea how heated things were between him certain scientists! :o

As for the two critters at hand, I'd love to see replicas made of them, but I feel like David Peters has given them a bad rap :-\.  Maybe they could star in a new Safari toob, so long as they don't look like his restorations!  ;)
You're welcome :) It's really a shame what happened to the guy, considering he was the artist responsible for creating beautiful images like this

His old books are definitely worth seeking out today though. This was the 90s, and he was actually getting the feet correct on sauropods :O

Tyrannosaurid lover

You alays can use a modificated  chinasaurus  ;) ;D
When the time came out the amaizine animals that the time and extintion lef behind will be back.

SBell

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 28, 2012, 10:49:25 AM
Quote from: Zopteryx on June 27, 2012, 05:48:10 AM

You're welcome :) It's really a shame what happened to the guy, considering he was the artist responsible for creating beautiful images like this

His old books are definitely worth seeking out today though. This was the 90s, and he was actually getting the feet correct on sauropods :O

Hey, speak of the devil--for more information on why we shoudl appreciate his art, but certainly not Peters' science:
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/tetrapod-zoology/2012/07/03/world-must-ignore-reptileevolution-com/

tyrantqueen

QuoteHey, speak of the devil--for more information on why we shoudl appreciate his art, but certainly not Peters' science:
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/tetrapod-zoology/2012/07/03/world-must-ignore-reptileevolution-com/
People were taking him seriously before?

SBell

Quote from: tyrantqueen on July 04, 2012, 08:30:18 PM
QuoteHey, speak of the devil--for more information on why we shoudl appreciate his art, but certainly not Peters' science:

I think the issue is that people might use his website to try and learn, and Darren Naish is hoping to prevent the spread of misinformation.

Horridus

Quote from: SBell on July 04, 2012, 10:48:10 PM
I think the issue is that people might use his website to try and learn, and Darren Naish is hoping to prevent the spread of misinformation.
Yeah. His diagrams are very slick, and he can look convincing to interested laypersons. But his opinions are VERY different to the 'mainstream'. Different as in 'pterosaurs are really lizards!' different.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

SBell

Quote from: Horridus on July 04, 2012, 10:49:39 PM
Quote from: SBell on July 04, 2012, 10:48:10 PM
Yeah. His diagrams are very slick, and he can look convincing to interested laypersons. But his opinions are VERY different to the 'mainstream'. Different as in 'pterosaurs are really lizards!' different.

Different as in 'make things up based on junk techniques' more like it.

tanystropheus

Quote from: SBell on June 26, 2012, 03:46:21 AM

Even though his methods include things like using computers to manipulate photos of pterosaurs from books, and then concluding that he sees structures and behaviours (like clinging babies) that people looking at the actual specimens can't see, even using his work as a guide.

Yikes!-- That seems a bit craaazy. What inspires him? LSD? Peyote? the Occult?... David Peters---was he the guy that suggested that tanystropheus was actually a pterosaur of sorts?

>:D Imagine if DP's reconstructions end up becoming legit, but for another universe, altogether? (e.g. "the multiverse"):

http://news.discovery.com/space/what-if-alien-dinosaurs-did-have-a-space-program-120411.html

SBell

Quote from: tanystropheus on July 14, 2012, 06:19:23 PM

Even though his methods include things like using computers to manipulate photos of pterosaurs from books, and then concluding that he sees structures and behaviours (like clinging babies) that people looking at the actual specimens can't see, even using his work as a guide.

Yikes!-- That seems a bit craaazy. What inspires him? LSD? Peyote? the Occult?... David Peters---was he the guy that suggested that tanystropheus was actually a pterosaur of sorts?

>:D Imagine if DP's reconstructions end up becoming legit, but for another universe, altogether? (e.g. "the multiverse"):

http://news.discovery.com/space/what-if-alien-dinosaurs-did-have-a-space-program-120411.html

If someone suggested Tanystropheus as a pterosaur, it would likely be DP.  Part of the reason is that his work drives him to see skull bones that fit his theory that pterosaurs are not ornithodirans (with dinosaurs and birds) or even archosaurs at all, but are in fact descendants of lepidosaur reptiles (which, I think, Tanystropheus is one).

But overall--his drawings can be nice, but his science is bunk.

Balaur

Quote from: SBell on July 14, 2012, 07:42:16 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on July 14, 2012, 06:19:23 PM

If someone suggested Tanystropheus as a pterosaur, it would likely be DP.  Part of the reason is that his work drives him to see skull bones that fit his theory that pterosaurs are not ornithodirans (with dinosaurs and birds) or even archosaurs at all, but are in fact descendants of lepidosaur reptiles (which, I think, Tanystropheus is one).

But overall--his drawings can be nice, but his science is bunk.

Actually, when Tanystropheus was first discovered in the late 1800's, some paleontologists thought they were bones of a pterosaur, including one guy.

But still, DP  is ignorant of the huge amount of science against him.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: