News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Favorite Paleontologist

Started by Cloud the Dinosaur King, March 06, 2017, 04:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Who is your favorite paleontologist? Mine is Paul Sereno.

BlueKrono

My favorite is Dr. Adam Smith of England. He specializes in plesiosaurs and is a pretty cool cat.  ;)
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

laticauda

Quote from: BlueKrono on March 06, 2017, 05:08:32 PM
My favorite is Dr. Adam Smith of England. He specializes in plesiosaurs and is a pretty cool cat.  ;)

What I'd really like to do, is put the greatness of this Paleontologist in perspective. I think that there 's only 3 names...Luis Alverez ah, Robert Bakker, probably, and...Dr. Adam Smith.

Pachyrhinosaurus

My favorites would be E. D. Cope, O. C. Marsh, and John Ostrom. In this context I'd rather stick to historical paleontologists myself.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

DinoToyForum

Come on, guys, be serious.  :-[  :D

suspsy

Franz Nopcsa was the first paleontologist to be interested in what dinosaurs were like in life as opposed to just putting their bones back together. He was also the first to propose that birds evolved from dinosaurs. I don't think he gets nearly the recognition he deserves.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Libraraptor

David Norman
Robert T.Bakker
John Ostrom
Adam Smith
Jack Horner
Peter Wellnhofer
Hartmut Haubold

Loon

laticauda

There are many important paleontologist, so in reality I don't know if I truly have a favorite.  I guess  I would start with Robert Bakker, just because he is an interesting oversized personality. Not to mention the Dinosaur Heresies and Raptor Red.   Another interesting person was Franz Nopcsa, here is a guy who deserves some notice but has largely been forgotten.  He was interested in the living behavior of the dinosaurs well before many others took notice of paleobiology.  I guess I would also add Dr. Jack McIntosh.  An expert in sauropods.  An amazing guy and Paleontologist.

Oh I just thought of one more:  Scott Sampson.  Yes he's on Dinosaur Train, but he also inspired PBS to broadcast more nature shows (cartoon). Get outside and get into nature and make your own discoveries! 

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: laticauda on March 07, 2017, 03:10:30 AM
There are many important paleontologist, so in reality I don't know if I truly have a favorite.  I guess  I would start with Robert Bakker, just because he is an interesting oversized personality. Not to mention the Dinosaur Heresies and Raptor Red.   Another interesting person was Franz Nopcsa, here is a guy who deserves some notice but has largely been forgotten.  He was interested in the living behavior of the dinosaurs well before many others took notice of paleobiology.  I guess I would also add Dr. Jack McIntosh.  An expert in sauropods.  An amazing guy and Paleontologist.

Oh I just thought of one more:  Scott Sampson.  Yes he's on Dinosaur Train, but he also inspired PBS to broadcast more nature shows (cartoon). Get outside and get into nature and make your own discoveries!
Scott Sampson was also in Dinosaur Revolution and Dinosaur Planet.

Takama

Robert Bakker
Thomas Holtz
Scott Hartman
Jim Kirkland
John Conway(he is one Right?)

Of course we have to thank one Paleontologist for the ability to participate in this thread. (you know  who you are ;) )

amargasaurus cazaui

Fond of a few from the distant past.....Stromer, Roy Chapman Andrews, Walter Granger, for a few examples
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: Takama on March 09, 2017, 02:20:57 AM
Robert Bakker
Thomas Holtz
Scott Hartman
Jim Kirkland
John Conway(he is one Right?)

Of course we have to thank one Paleontologist for the ability to participate in this thread. (you know  who you are ;) )
I think that John Conway is a Paleo Artist but that technically counts as a Paleontologist.

Tylosaurus

Doctor Adam S. Smith
This young man is a good friend of mine that runs the best Dino collecting community named Dinosaur Toy Forum and blog site named Dinosaur Toy Blog
All the latest info Dino Collecting & Paleontology wise can be find there, toys models, books arts new fins old memories everything, you name it the works.
Also his knowledge for Prehistoric Marine Reptiles is extremely wide based, great guy <3

Doctor Thomas Holtz
One of the best Tyrannosaurid Paleontologists out there if not the best, he  discovered many awesome things when it came to this class of dinosaur.
Also a Major Doctor Who fan, Doctor Thomas is also a kind guy to talk to, just cool to know such a legendary man.

Cam Muskely
Cam is a good friend of mine also Admin of my Dino & Mineral Collecting community @ Facebook:
Info & Collections of Dinosaurs & Minerals
And he is also studying to become a Paleontologist! That too I really admire from him :)
He has Autism like me, but he proves that people with an Autism can do things they dream of wanting to be :)
So this is why Ia dd him in my most faved Paleontologist list, because he has proven me he will make it :)

Timothy "Skippy" Miller
Probably the funniest Paleontologist out there hunting and digging up Ammonites, his videos always bring a smile to my face!
His knowledge for Ammonites is very large and his also has interesting yet friendly ways of explaining things :)
When I feel sad I watch his videos, they always tend to cheer me up :)

The Atroxious

I really had to think about this one, since I pay far more attention to the animals themselves than to the people researching them, but today it occurred to me that without a doubt it has to be Xu Xing. The guy's an absolute legend. His discoveries were what really got me interested in the science behind nonavian dinosaurs again as an adult.

I agree with some of the folks above that Franz Nopsca deserves far more recognition than he gets, considering how much he posthumously influenced the direction of palaeontology. Mad respect to him.

Neosodon

I finally decided Robert Bakker is my favorite paleontologist. He has been in paleontology so long he is like a legend. He was the first one to really push the idea that dinosaurs were advanced, warm blooded, smart, active and adaptable rather than fat dumb slow moving monsters that lived in swamps. He also belived that T Rex was a hunter and fought Jack Horner on the idea. I've seen him many times in documentaries and like his personality too. He also said that there is no real conflict between religion and science which I strongly agree with.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

CrypticPrism

Favorite: Robert Bakker, Mark Witton, and lastly Darren Naish in that order because some of Darren's ideas are a little strange

Least favorite: Jack Horner. He's become a literal paleontological whisk in the sense of the controversy he's caused.
"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."
"Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating
My DeviantArt: flipplenup.deviantart.com

Neosodon

Quote from: CrypticPrism on April 03, 2017, 02:51:54 AM
Favorite: Robert Bakker, Mark Witton, and lastly Darren Naish in that order because some of Darren's ideas are a little strange

Least favorite: Jack Horner. He's become a literal paleontological whisk in the sense of the controversy he's caused.
Jack Horner really bothered me with some of his not so well founded or false theories but he did inspire me to do some research and he made some significant discoveries. Definitely not my favorite ether but for some reason I kind of like the guy but I don't really know why.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Simon

Robert Bakker has been my favorite paleontologist since I got his book "The Dinosaur Heresies" in 1988.  At that point I had not paid much attention to paleontology for probably a dozen years, and his book amazed me with the discussion - and detailed drawings - of warm blodded, active, dinosaurs.

10 years later it was Paul Sereno's announced discovery of the weird Suchomimus that launched my current dino-philia in earnest.

So I would say Bakker, followed by Sereno.  But I also like Tom Holtz, with whom I corresponded a couple of times via the DML....

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: The Atroxious on April 03, 2017, 02:03:13 AM
I really had to think about this one, since I pay far more attention to the animals themselves than to the people researching them, but today it occurred to me that without a doubt it has to be Xu Xing. The guy's an absolute legend. His discoveries were what really got me interested in the science behind nonavian dinosaurs again as an adult.

I agree with some of the folks above that Franz Nopsca deserves far more recognition than he gets, considering how much he posthumously influenced the direction of palaeontology. Mad respect to him.
He got one of the weirdest dinosaurs named after him(Epidexipteryx hui).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: