News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

GODZILLA vs KONG

Started by dragon53, March 13, 2017, 03:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jose S.M.

Im not going to try to judge the tone of the movie based on the trailer's music. Most trailers for KOTM (Specially the first one) made me think it's tone would be kind of serious and the movie turned out very different to what I expected (I still liked that very much just have a couple of nickpicks )

Rain

Not really a fan of rap but I actually really liked the trailer music, the instrumental fit very well with the pacing.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 08, 2021, 04:13:53 PM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on January 30, 2021, 04:37:07 PM
Quote from: suspsy on January 24, 2021, 07:00:39 PM
I'm calling it now:

Spoiler
That is not the real Godzilla fighting Kong. It's Mechagodzilla in disguise. The real Godzilla will show up in time to help Kong destroy the imposter.
[close]
Spoiler
MechaGodzilla in this has claw hands, like one of those machines in arcades, in this movie judging by the toy leaks. Plus if that was the case the title would be misleading lol
[close]

Not that a robot can transform it's parts or anything.. ;)  lol
show me the part where MG was confirmed to transform
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Takama on January 24, 2021, 06:00:27 PM
OK This Trailer Had me, UNTIL The STUPID RAP MUSIC Started Playing.
At least its gave me some Peter Jackson  King Kong Vibes at the start, and it MIGHT not be as Lame as Kong Skull Island IMO.
Still MAD its on HBO MAX and not NETFLIX
and NO im not going to the theater to risk catching Covid
why did you think skull island was lame though, had the best characters of any monsterverse movie so far

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on February 22, 2021, 09:34:26 PM
I'm calling it now:

Spoiler
That is not the real Godzilla fighting Kong. It's Mechagodzilla in disguise. The real Godzilla will show up in time to help Kong destroy the imposter.
[close]
Spoiler
MechaGodzilla in this has claw hands, like one of those machines in arcades, in this movie judging by the toy leaks. Plus if that was the case the title would be misleading lol
[close]

In this film?   nada, just speculation.  In past films there are many though.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 22, 2021, 11:18:48 PM
I'm calling it now:

Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

he never actually transforms in the old movies. he has multiple weapon attachments like the GARUDA though

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on February 23, 2021, 01:25:08 PM
I'm calling it now:

Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

he never actually transforms in the old movies. he has multiple weapon attachments like the GARUDA though

You also have just plane ignoring anatomy/design. The hands on the first MechaG are basically solid flippers he shoots rockets out of later.  When in his Godzilla disguise the hands look entirely different and the fingers can move.

dragon53

GODZILLA VS KONG---new tv spots released for the sequel.

LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyoNVKa3Pqo

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 23, 2021, 03:52:33 PM
I'm calling it now:

Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

You also have just plane ignoring anatomy/design. The hands on the first MechaG are basically solid flippers he shoots rockets out of later.  When in his Godzilla disguise the hands look entirely different and the fingers can move.
But that's a cheesy old movie from the 70s. This is a modern high-budget blockbuster from the 2020s.

sauroid

im just excited to see the new kaijus in the movie...
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on March 03, 2021, 01:20:06 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 23, 2021, 03:52:33 PM
I'm calling it now:

Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

But that's a cheesy old movie from the 70s. This is a modern high-budget blockbuster from the 2020s.

I don't see a difference in a film based on giant monsters, realism is out the window.  Aside from that the creators love the old movies can't see them not referencing things.

GojiraGuy1954

MAJOR SPOILERS FROM GODZILLA VS KONG LEAKS BELOW

Spoiler
There is no Fake Godzilla.
Godzilla is mad because of the parts from Ghidorah that they are using to create MechaGodzilla.
Godzilla wins the boat battle by taking Kong underwater and having a brief fight in there.
Kong gets away and clings onto a ship and in order to escape, the humans "play dead" and turn off all their power which works and Godzilla swims away.
Godzilla defeats Kong by going on all fours to be more sturdy against his blows. Kong ends up unconscious and they revive him by using a HEAV as a defibrillator by exploding it on his chest.
Then Godzilla gets badly beaten by Mechagodzilla and Jia convinces kong to help him.
The crawling scene with Godzilla on all fours is 5 minutes at max.
MechaGodzilla's awakening scene is described as "very cool" with his awakening and when he fights Godzilla and Kong.
Mechagodzilla only activates once before the final fight which is when he kills a baby Skullcrawler that was chasing Team Kong. Before getting the Hollow Earth tech, MechaG can only activate for a few seconds. Mechagodzilla is intially piloted by Ren until Ghidorah's DNA takes over and electrocutes him to death and kills Walter. Mechagodzilla breaks out of Victoria Mountain and fights Godzilla immediantly after he won. Before he can kill Godzilla, Kong intervenes and it becomes a 2v1. Mechagodzilla is able to overpower both and has a drill pressed against Kong's face while the latter holds him back. Josh pours alchohol on the controls and stuns MechaG for a second which allows Godzilla to charge up Kong's "Royal Axe" and Kong is able to tear out its spine.

Link to the reddit thread where I got this from; https://www.reddit.com/r/Monsterverse/comments/m4gmc9/godzilla_vs_kong_every_leak_titan_details_plot/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share
[close]

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: dragon53 on March 22, 2021, 02:24:00 PM
Early reviews are in:

LINK: https://www.darkhorizons.com/godzilla-vs-kong-early-reviews-are-in/
"80s style kaiju?"
Does this person know that there were only two godzilla films from the 80s, and only one Kong film in the 80s?

PumperKrickel

King Kong Lives came out in the 80s and there were also tons of other Kaiju movies.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: PumperKrickel on March 22, 2021, 03:17:30 PM
King Kong Lives came out in the 80s and there were also tons of other Kaiju movies.
but not Kong or Godzilla

triceratops83

Just got back from the movie, I was reasonably impressed. I'm not getting into spoilers below, just being cautious - opinions only.
Spoiler
I guess I was expecting to be underwhelmed but it was enjoyable the whole way through. It was interesting how much character was given to Kong. A highlight was the hollow earth subplot - you all should find the fauna there interesting (No dinosaurs, though). The main human characters were more likeable this time around. Overall, I'd say it was slightly better than King of the Monsters, and it sucks that this is the last movie in the Monsterverse - I'd really like to see more of this world (at least one more movie's worth).
[close]
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

MLMjp

Watched it yesterday, decided to think about it before expressing myself.

Wow, they...they did something. :o

In terms of spectacle, this is probably the best one. Might need to compare it but in terms of visuals and action, the third act of this movie blows the other monsterverse films out of the water. To the point that it makes me believe Legendary told Michael Dougherty to "hold back" in KOTM.

I need to express myself so SPOLIERS BELOW:
Spoiler
First things first, this movie should have been called: "KONG, GODZILLA & MECHAGODZILLA, GIANT MONSTERS ALL OUT ATTACK.

They definitely pulled out a Batman vs Superman...BUT better.

Instead of just throwing it out in the third act, Mechagodzilla is basically the reason why the plot moves forward and that's something that I really liked, it connects all storylines. Godzilla attacks cities because of it, Kong is taken so he can guide the characters to an energy source in the hollow earth to power it. And on top of that they create a sense of mystery about it until they reveal it in the second act.

And thats why it works, it isn't just the "out of nowhere threat that the heros have to team up to defeat", it is integrated in the plot, there is a built up to it. And when it is in action, it doesn't disappoint. It´s design is ugly, but really cool, and I like it.  ;D
Cant wait to see the Monsterarts figure of it...

I really liked Kong in this film, they made him very relatable and sympathetic, and I loved the how he was able to communicate with sings with the little girl. This movie definitely put Kong in the protagonist role...but I won't complain. However than means that Godzilla didnt get that much focus but when it was on screen...It was a beast and I loved it! AND HE WON THE FIGHT! TWICE! Making him the winner but having Kong defeating MechaG was a good move so that both side got their victory but we still have a winner of the fight, although personally I would have liked if godzilla strikes MechaG with his breath one last time and then Kong delivers the final blow, but hey...). And at the end, both got respect from each other.

Ok, lets get nasty...

With the exception of the little girl the humans have ZERO character development. People say KOTM had bad writing and human characters. I disagree. They are not great, but decent enough, and they have development and motivations:
-Mark Russel wants to get his family back and at the end makes peace with Godzilla.
-Emma (who definitely needed more development since her motivation was barebones) abandoned his quest in favor of her family.
-Serizawa sacrificed himself for his belief in coexisting with Godzilla.
-Madison decided to separate from her mother and do the right thing...etc.
Here the characters have motivations but they dont really achieve anything. And they wasted a lot of them, Alexander Skarsgard character is just there to move the plot forward (he supposedly wants to explore the hollow earth becase of this dead brother but they never brought that back later), Mark Russel does not participate in the plot at all, Madison and his two stereotypical geek friends could had been handled better or we could just have just followed the bad guys until they finally reveal Mecha G. And Serizawa´s son is just there, no mention about the connection to his father, no backstory about their relationship and a possible conflict...nothing.

And keeping things grounded and "realistic"(as much as you can get with these movies) be damned! We got from todays technology in Godzilla (2014) to fully futuristic stuff like giant functioning robots, anti-gravity vehicles, super structures... in like a a few years? ::) Uuuuughhhh....I mean...KOTM went a bit overboard but not too much...this goes wayyyyy to much overboard...And other things that they went over the top and silly with.

PD: They did a call back to the tree scene with the axe! I raised my arms when it happened!
[close]
So basically, I liked, I had a great time...But they throw so much out of the window...

I mean, since a certain leak, I was in fear that certain decisions were going to ruin this film, but I dont think that anymore.

GojiraGuy1954

Kapitaenosavrvs

Spoiler
Reading the Reviews i now know, that this movie is leaning more to the new US Godzilla Movies and less to the (to me) fantastic Skull Island. Skull Island had a completely different approach on the Topic and was well written, people acted like people. Everything made sense (In this Universe). Humans are unimportant and there was no human Drama. Something the new Godzilla movies did not deliver. Tbh, i really really dislike the new Films, exept Skull Island. Its not a Masterpiece, but does combine The Kaiju/Monster Topic with a well done Movie. Nothing deeply thoughtful, of course. But Skull Island does not feel dumbed down like the Godzilla Films.

Hope everyone is fine with this Movie, if they are fans of the new Godzilla Movies. I was hoping for more Skull Island like Stuff, but i will see for myself sometime. The Cinemas are closed here since one Year, so maybe next year as Stream or i don't know. So thanks for the early Reviews.
[close]

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: