News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

"Dancing" Damselfly from the Cretaceous

Started by ZoPteryx, March 24, 2017, 06:34:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZoPteryx

Not as exciting as a total revision of a major clade, but still kind of cool.

http://www.nature.com/articles/srep44932

Now the big question:  Which toy company will make one first?  ;)

MLMjp

Beautiful ambar indeed, the preservation is fenomenal.

Quote from: ZoPteryx on March 24, 2017, 06:34:29 AM
Now the big question:  Which toy company will make one first?  ;)

None, because almost nobody cares about prehistoric bugs.

Flaffy

Somehow out of most other companies, Rebor was the one that made a prehistoric bug.

stargatedalek

Not sure why but I think I may actually find this more exciting!

Loon

Not too terribly familiar with insects, so are there any others with that kind of leg?

Lanthanotus

I know of no recent damselfly or dragonfly with such legs (would probably be a hinderance in cathing prey in flight), but it is a feature seen in some coleoptera, heteroptera, orthoptera (bettles, bugs and grasshoppers) and proabaly more.

Halichoeres

Wow, that's cool. There's this:

But it doesn't look like the tibiae are expanded to nearly the same extent. I wonder if they had very short adult lives and didn't feed much.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Lanthanotus

Ah, thanks for posting that Halichoeres, didn't know of such a species.

That recent one at least seems quite capable of catching prey, at least it boasts the same hair like structures to form the necessary quiver.  And thinking of it, there's a lot of flying insect species with just the weirdest body shapes, head crests or other "un"aerodynamical features,... sure, most do not feed the same way as damselflies, but thinking even further, pterosaurs with their remarkable weird heads didn't seem to be hindered as well. Nature's such a nerdy engineer.

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: Lanthanotus on March 24, 2017, 04:37:46 PM
I know of no recent damselfly or dragonfly with such legs (would probably be a hinderance in cathing prey in flight), but it is a feature seen in some coleoptera, heteroptera, orthoptera (bettles, bugs and grasshoppers) and proabaly more.
The Boxer Mantis is like this.

Lanthanotus

But mantis hunt differently than damselflies. My initial thought was that such legs, especially when spread as is required for hunting in flight, might be an aerodynamical hinderance. However, see my above reply,... nature get's so many weirdos to flight :D

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: Lanthanotus on March 24, 2017, 10:10:22 PM
But mantis hunt differently than damselflies. My initial thought was that such legs, especially when spread as is required for hunting in flight, might be an aerodynamical hinderance. However, see my above reply,... nature get's so many weirdos to flight :D
Mantids can fly as well, especially the males.

Faelrin

I don't know much about insects and such, but wow its pretty. Yet another awesome amber find. Am I the only one that thinks its eyes look like googly eyes in the art though?

Also about mantids flying, can confirm. Tried to help one off my mother's vehicle years ago only for it to launch into the sky, and become a flying terror, which I was unprepared for.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Lanthanotus

I am aware they can fly, however, they do not hunt during fly which was the initial point and they are very awkward fliers, at least in comparison to damsel- and dragonflies which can intentionally turn suddenly, stand still in midflight and - at least some, not sure if all - fly backwards. Mantis and the likes as phasmidae (which often show a similar and highly adapted body form) are just capable of flying for the sake of transporting themselves towards mates, new territories or away from predators, but are by no way as artistic as their helicopter like relatives.

On the "back to topic" question.... I'd guess Safari or CollectA makes one first, within a tube of prehistoric invertebrates :)

Halichoeres

Quote from: Lanthanotus on March 25, 2017, 10:24:20 AM
On the "back to topic" question.... I'd guess Safari or CollectA makes one first, within a tube of prehistoric invertebrates :)

That would be almost as cool as a fishes tube!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

PaleoMatt

If Safari made an invertebrate toob it would probably be full of Carboniferous swamp dwellers I'm guessing which I guess would be interesting for scale purposes!

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: PaleoMatt on March 26, 2017, 12:07:43 AM
If Safari made an invertebrate toob it would probably be full of Carboniferous swamp dwellers I'm guessing which I guess would be interesting for scale purposes!
They would probably add in some Trilobites and some Sea Scorpions. A Sea Scorpion like Pterygotus would look cool.

PaleoMatt

Quote from: Cloud the Dinosaur King on March 26, 2017, 04:19:43 AM
Quote from: PaleoMatt on March 26, 2017, 12:07:43 AM
They would probably add in some Trilobites and some Sea Scorpions. A Sea Scorpion like Pterygotus would look cool.
Yea that's a great idea.

Papi-Anon

Quote from: Cloud the Dinosaur King on March 26, 2017, 04:19:43 AM

Well, the Cambrian Toob did have a Trilobite and an Anomalocaris if I recall. And the fossil Toob had a replica sea scorpion casting.
Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

ZoPteryx

I do wonder if these appendages could have been more for camouflage than display.  The wings seem rather sort, maybe this was a leaf-litter or twig dwelling damselfly that captured terrestrial prey such as aphids.

Quote from: Lanthanotus on March 25, 2017, 10:24:20 AM

I'd put my money on Kaiyodo or a similar brand, personally.  Heck, maybe it could be a PNSO mini!  ;D

Tyto_Theropod

UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: