News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Stegosaurus plates position

Started by sauroid, June 27, 2012, 06:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

how are the two parallel rows of plates of Stegosaurus positioned (facing each other or alternately facing each other?)?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Gryphoceratops

I think the current consensus is that the plates on the neck were in two adjacent rows.  The larger plates on the back are in two alternating rows. 

Darwinian

I thought the latest research has them running perpendicular to the spine, like a row of dominoes.

;D

s.foulkes

If i may chime in here, the correct and currant plate arrangement is that the plates on the neck and back are alternately staggered but each plate is anchored in line with the spine, another words there is very little overlapping from one plate to the next having one plate angled to slight left and the other to slight right so that if you look straight head on to the animal the plates would make a subtile V with the base if each plate being almost in line with each other where it attaches to the flesh above the spine. The tail arrangement is very Different,which i will describe in a moment, there are 17 plates total and the inline alternating plates stops at plate 13over the rear hip then plate 14 starts the tail row and all 4 of these plates are in perfect inlinement with each other forming a single file down the tail . This adaptation has a reason ,the Stegosaur can piviot his or her Body left or right and by doing this the V angle of the plates on the back then is pointing almost straight out to the side neatly jabbing the face of its attackers, being that the row of plates on the back are semi rigid the movement of the stegosaurs body allows the paltes to be dipped toword the attacker for defence. The Tail on the other hand is very flexible ,extreamly so ,just like a snakes tail. by having the plates in a single row and not alternating rows the plates dont smack together allowing the tail to move much more freely and after the last plate number 17 the tail is even more flexible allowing its 4 spikes to be thrashed back and forth like a magician waving his wand. Hope this makes sense its hard to put into words that clearly paints a picture by i tried.
Never heard who is proposing the cross lateral domino look? thats absurd . On a side note yes my 1/18th Stegosaur sculpt everal years ago was incorrect and i may do another one in the near future with the correct arrangement. :)
Bringing back the world of Dinosaurs one sculpt at a time!

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: s.foulkes on June 30, 2012, 05:58:55 PM
If i may chime in here, the correct and currant plate arrangement is that the plates on the neck and back are alternately staggered but each plate is anchored in line with the spine, another words there is very little overlapping from one plate to the next having one plate angled to slight left and the other to slight right so that if you look straight head on to the animal the plates would make a subtile V with the base if each plate being almost in line with each other where it attaches to the flesh above the spine. The tail arrangement is very Different,which i will describe in a moment, there are 17 plates total and the inline alternating plates stops at plate 13over the rear hip then plate 14 starts the tail row and all 4 of these plates are in perfect inlinement with each other forming a single file down the tail . This adaptation has a reason ,the Stegosaur can piviot his or her Body left or right and by doing this the V angle of the plates on the back then is pointing almost straight out to the side neatly jabbing the face of its attackers, being that the row of plates on the back are semi rigid the movement of the stegosaurs body allows the paltes to be dipped toword the attacker for defence. The Tail on the other hand is very flexible ,extreamly so ,just like a snakes tail. by having the plates in a single row and not alternating rows the plates dont smack together allowing the tail to move much more freely and after the last plate number 17 the tail is even more flexible allowing its 4 spikes to be thrashed back and forth like a magician waving his wand. Hope this makes sense its hard to put into words that clearly paints a picture by i tried.
Never heard who is proposing the cross lateral domino look? thats absurd . On a side note yes my 1/18th Stegosaur sculpt everal years ago was incorrect and i may do another one in the near future with the correct arrangement. :)

That's interesting.  Is there a paper or something I could check out that all that info came from in detail?

I think he was kidding with the cross domino idea lol. 

Seijun

So in those respects, shane, how accurate is the new sideshow steg?
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

s.foulkes

PRetty close i own one and i love it. the base of each plate should be alittle closer so they would be more inline but they are very close and its not worth mentioning really. the tail is correct with the dorsal processes on the tail are  taller giving the tail a ridge, this is correct also. i would have liked to see the neck just a little longer which thus would allow the plates to overlap less and be more inline at the bases. The only thing i noticed that i had a problem with is that the shoulder muscles which cover the Corcoid/scapula area should be much more robust and pronounced. Stegosaur had huge area for attachment for these muscles and they used them to push his large body left to right and pivot like a polo pony so to quickly position his tail toward the attacker in defence. I love the sculpt and am a huge fan of Jorge Blanco.
Bringing back the world of Dinosaurs one sculpt at a time!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.