You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Question about Gregory S Paul books

Started by tyrantqueen, June 29, 2012, 09:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

Hi,
I own the Princeton Field Guide to Dinosaurs, and I'm very pleased with it.

I noticed that Gregory S Paul has authored many other books, and two that particularly caught my attention were Dinosaurs: A Field Guide, and Predatory Dinosaurs of the World: A Complete Illustrated Guide. I was wondering if these two books are worthy of an additional purchase, but more importantly, do they contain any material that was also used in the Princeton guide? I am asking this question because I have been in a situation where I have purchased books before, only to be disappointed that they were hardly more than reprints with reused illustrations and descriptions changed.

Thanks!

postsaurischian

I also love what Gregory S. Paul does :).

I have those books.
At least once a week I'm taking the 'Princeton Field Guide' out of the shelf to check Dinosaur sizes ;D. I only believe in sizes as they're listed there or in what I've seen in reality.

'Dinosaurs: A Field Guide' is exactly the same book with a different cover. I've always suspected this and finally had the chance to have a look at one copy in Australia. No difference! But I like the cover better >:( ;D.

'Predatory Dinosaurs of the World' however is a different book. While the 'Princeton Field Guide' is an encyclopedia, means kind of a Dinosaur overview, this book handles theropods much more precisely with much more text.
There are also many, many beautiful b & w illustrations that aren't in the Field Guide. Some of course are, but it's definitely worth getting it :). You can get a used copy for an affordable price.

Gwangi

'Predatory Dinosaurs of the World' is a classic and well worth getting. Though the second half of the book is somewhat like an encyclopedia the first half reads like a book about theropods. I actually read it last summer and only paid a couple bucks for it on Amazon. Totally worth getting, back when it came out in the late 80's it was one of the best dinosaur books around, right up there with Dinosaur Heresies. Your collection is incomplete without it.  ;D

tyrantqueen

Quote'Dinosaurs: A Field Guide' is exactly the same book with a different cover. I've always suspected this and finally had the chance to have a look at one copy in Australia. No difference! But I like the cover better
Thanks for clearing that up, that was what I kind of suspected :)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.