You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Megatherium was indeed a vegetarian

Started by suspsy, April 19, 2017, 11:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

As cool as it is to envision the giant of giant ground sloths flipping over glyptodonts to attack their unarmoured bellies or killing Smilodons that refuse to abandon their kills, a team of scientists has determined that it had a vegetarian diet.

https://m.phys.org/news/2017-04-giant-sloth-megatherium-vegetarian.html

Which is not to say that it couldn't kill a Smilodon anyway.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

CrypticPrism

The fanboys' reign of mammalian terror has ended, bless it! And on my birthday!
"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."
"Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating
My DeviantArt: flipplenup.deviantart.com

Reptilia

Always assumed it was an herbivore.

Ravonium

Quote from: Reptilia on April 19, 2017, 02:08:59 PM
Always assumed it was an herbivore.

Same here. I never found it even slightly plausible that Megatherium was a carnivore, considering none of their modern relatives are adapted to hunt flesh.

Quote from: suspsy on April 19, 2017, 11:23:26 AM

Which is not to say that it couldn't kill a Smilodon anyway.

Goes to show not all 'awesome' creatures have to eat meat.

Papi-Anon

Like Gastornis yet another suspected hunter has been determined to be a vegetarian. This is a good finding. The idea of Megatherium being omnivorous or even carnivorous was something I never considered, which was why the representation on WWB confused me.
Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

Lanthanotus

Now, that's not a surprise, nevertheless thanks for linking.

It should be noted though, that even "true" vegetarians (as deer, hippos and others) occasionally feed on flesh if they ran over a carcass or such, after all such is rich in precious minerals, proteins and other nutrients...

suspsy

Quote from: Lanthanotus on April 19, 2017, 09:44:48 PM
Now, that's not a surprise, nevertheless thanks for linking.

It should be noted though, that even "true" vegetarians (as deer, hippos and others) occasionally feed on flesh if they ran over a carcass or such, after all such is rich in precious minerals, proteins and other nutrients...

I don't think it's impossible that Megatherium could have scavenged on carcasses, but I think it was the rare occasion rather than the norm.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Lanthanotus

Quote from: suspsy on April 19, 2017, 09:51:47 PM
[...]

I don't think it's impossible that Megatherium could have scavenged on carcasses, but I think it was the rare occasion rather than the norm.

Indeed, most likely nothing that would cause serious traces in the isotope composition of bones or such.

soft tissue

megatheriids still could've eaten meat as supplements, ala bovids and deer eating birds, which would be a feeding behaviour infrequent enough as to not affect isotopic values.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.