News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Southlands Replicas

Started by suspsy, May 22, 2017, 10:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaprosaurus

crankydinosaur

Oh man I can't wait! Thank you Southlands for making things in scale to each other!

Brontozaurus

I am so HERE for mega sized megafauna toys.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Faelrin

I can't wait till that Diprotodon is finished. Looks great so far with the Thylacoleo.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: crankydinosaur on August 05, 2017, 02:11:52 AM
Oh man I can't wait! Thank you Southlands for making things in scale to each other!

Hear, hear!

Shonisaurus

By the way, soutland replicas on facebook has revealed that it is going to make a monitor, here is its figure in manufacturing. Will it be the megalania? Or perhaps as discussed on this facebook page only a varanus giganteus?

I give you the link:

https://www.facebook.com/southlands/photos/a.205417263195126.1073741828.197560100647509/355169724886545/?type=3&theater

Reptilia

Wow, a Megalania! If they do all of their models in scale it should be a pretty big one. Can't wait to have more news about it, together with Eofauna Southlands is the most promising new player in the game.

suspsy

It's not a Megalania, sadly. It's a modern monitor. :(
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Reptilia

Oh well, I already have the Papo, but still looks like a cool addition to the line. Wasn't a Diprotodon on the way too?

suspsy

AFAIK, the Diprotodon is ready, but SR has not yet announced a release date. That lizard is a perentie, BTW. Again, I'm disappointed that it's not a Megalania, but it's definitely good that SR is finally branching out into reptiles!

stargatedalek

Finally not another mammal! And it looks beautiful.

Frankly I don't understand why people are upset it isn't megalania, you can swap in any Komodo dragon figure as a megalania if you ever want one. And I'm not just being an *** here, the only difference between the two is size, a lot of people even consider megalania to be Komodo dragon remains from a larger population or subspecies.

The only reason for a brand to ever produce a megalania is to have it in exact scale.

Ravonium

Looks pretty nice. My only hope is that they won't delay this one for a feral mammal again (I mean, c'mon, who would actually prefer a Brumby model to this or the Diprotodon?)

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 04, 2018, 11:05:03 PM
Frankly I don't understand why people are upset it isn't megalania, you can swap in any Komodo dragon figure as a megalania if you ever want one.

Seconded. I personally would be more upset if it was a Megalania, because there are loads of Australian megafauna I'd have preferred to what is basically a model of a giant Komodo dragon.

Reptilia

Yes, the point of a Megalania would be that the model should be huge. Considering that Southlands is making their figures all in scale would have meant a big varanid to accompany their Thylacoleo. I guess we can always hope for Rebor, the concept of oversized prehistoric versions of extant animals seem to fit pretty well to them.

Shonisaurus

I sincerely like prehistoric animals in general but the megalany from my point of view is still a current monitor. The same can be said about the titanoboa snake.

What I would like the Soutlands brand to reveal and commercialize is its diprotodon, which is a very demanded figure for me after it is not possible to find the famous palorchestes of the Play Visions brand.  :P

Halichoeres

Quote from: Ravonium on March 05, 2018, 07:52:45 AM
Looks pretty nice. My only hope is that they won't delay this one for a feral mammal again (I mean, c'mon, who would actually prefer a Brumby model to this or the Diprotodon?)

Next they're going to make a camel, a rabbit, and a cane toad, ha. Anyway, it was probably the financially smart move; horse collectors have ceaseless appetites and apparently bottomless wallets.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Ravonium

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 05, 2018, 04:06:54 PM
Next they're going to make a camel, a rabbit, and a cane toad

;D And don't forget the red fox! ;D

In all seriousness, I would like to see them make a cane toad because 1) unlike the other 3, cane toads aren't made to death as figures and 2) it is the only one of the 4 that is native to the Southern Hemisphere (they did say they were going to make species from across the Southern Hemisphere).

...horse collectors have ceaseless appetites and apparently bottomless wallets.

I guess both of those explain why Schleich is a popular brand in those circles  ;)

stargatedalek

Are they really going to do a cane toad? Will absolutely have to get that, I love the things. Great to see an Australian brand making them, there is a lot of misinformation in popular culture about cane toads, typically pertaining to what constitutes animal cruelty. So any sort of proper representation can only be a good thing.

Ravonium

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 05, 2018, 06:42:33 PM
Are they really going to do a cane toad?

Nope, it was just something I suggested as an idea for a future figure.

Still, I do agree that it would be a good figure for their line.

suspsy

Some good news: the Diprotodon prototype is being shipped off to China for mould making. SR says it will hopefully be available before the end of the year.

postsaurischian

:D Good to hear! I can't wait for any of their new figures.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: