News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New Russian Pliosaur Discovered

Started by suspsy, May 25, 2017, 06:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

Figure please. CollectA, I'm looking at you.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

stargatedalek

I'm confused, aren't these traits we already saw in Dolichorhynchops? Or is Dolichorhynchops not as close to derived Pliosaurs as I'm thinking?

suspsy

Dolichorhynchops is a polycotylid plesiosaur. So while it certainly resembles a small pliosaur, phylogenetic studies suggest that it's more closely related to plesiosaurids and elasmosaurids.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Faelrin

Can we take a moment to appreciate those googly eyes in the art?

I like how this one kind of looks a little like a dolphin. I don't know much on pliosaurs though so this is the first time I've seen one like this.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

ZoPteryx

Very interesting pliosaur!  I certainly would've thought it was a polycotylid had I seen that image without context!  :))  Looking a little harder though, the rear of the skull does seem to be more pliosaur-like.

Are there any photos of the actual fossil out there?

modelnut

Derek.McManus

Saw this in the newspaper...very interesting!

Sigmasaurus

I bet you CollectA will make a figure of this (Fingers Crossed) by 2020.

Neosodon

The heavy body with the long slender snout seem kind of contradictory. Did it use its mouth to hunt like icthyosaurs or did it use its body to hunt like pliosaurs. I have a hard time imagining how this animal fed.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

suspsy

Quote from: Neosodon on May 29, 2017, 02:29:20 AM
The heavy body with the long slender snout seem kind of contradictory. Did it use its mouth to hunt like icthyosaurs or did it use its body to hunt like pliosaurs. I have a hard time imagining how this animal fed.

Extant river dolphins and gharials have long, slender snouts for catching small, fast-moving prey like fish or squid. Luskhan was probably no different.

BlueKrono

How does one use its body to hunt?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Ravonium

QuoteHow does one use its body to hunt?

It would probably absorb the prey in it's skin.

Neosodon

Quote from: BlueKrono on May 29, 2017, 08:37:47 AM

How does one use its body to hunt?
Pliosaurs had bulky muscular bodies, short thick necks and big flippers designed for ambush hunting. Their bodies helped to support there large jaws and give them good acceleration but they were slow and unmaneuverable overall. The body has just as much to do with hunting techniques as the head.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

suspsy

Where did you get the erroneous idea that pliosaurs were slow swimmers?

Neosodon

Quote from: suspsy on May 30, 2017, 12:14:06 AM
Where did you get the erroneous idea that pliosaurs were slow swimmers?
Physics. The large flippers and large muscular body would have given them lots of power but they would have also created lots of drag. They could have gotten a good burst of speed to take out an unsuspecting icthyosaur but they were not built for a drawn out high speed chase.

I don't really mean they were slow but they would not have been able to keep pace with more nimble marine life like sharks and icthyosaurs.

stargatedalek

There is absolutely no evidence for any of that. If anything bulky marine animals tend to have great stamina.

suspsy

Neosodon

Quote from: suspsy on May 30, 2017, 11:38:39 AM
I'm afraid that's simply incorrect, Neosodon. Pliosaurs have been shown to be fast swimmers.

https://www.smithsonianchannel.com/videos/what-ultra-high-speed-penguin-footage-reveals-about-pliosaurs/49366
"And that is how this beast gained sudden and tremendous acceleration."

The video was exactly what I've been trying to say. The video was talking about how they could get a tremendous amount of thrust. It never said they were chasers. Yeah they could chase down a sea turtle and maybe even some plesiosaurs but their bodies were built for more of a sudden surprise attack style hunting. They compared pliosaurs to penguins. Penguins are more streamline than pliosaurs and they also have smaller flipers and they only have two. So they are not the best comparison.

Penguins can go up to 20 miles per hour while sharks can go up to 60 miles per hour. Since icthyosaurs have a similar build to sharks it's safe to say they were both capable of outrunning a pliosaur. I wouldn't be surprised if pliosaurs were capable of exceeding 30 mph for a few seconds. But if a pliosaur got the drop on an unsuspecting shark or icthyosaur that few seconds of speed would be all it needed.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: