You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Near-complete enantiornithean chick found in amber

Started by Patrx, June 07, 2017, 05:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrx

Lida Xing and colleagues describe a 99-million-year-old baby dinosaur found in amber, with incredible preservation:

Paper on Science Direct
Cau's post on Theropoda

ImADinosaurRARR

I was just about to drop the same news ;P

Here's a Dropbox version so you don't have to pay: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zmdilf07i61f8o1/enantiornith_amber.pdf?dl=0

CityRaptor

Oh, interesting!

Although I fear it is only a matter of time till comment sections on news sites will be flooded with creationists and people who think one can clone it.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Lanthanotus

Thanks very much for that interesting news and also a big thanks for the Dropbox link :)

Neosodon

T Rex Skin yesterday, birds in amber today, it has been a very exiting last couple days for paleontology! :)

Here is the national geographic version. A little easier to read. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/06/baby-bird-dinosaur-burmese-amber-fossil/

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

EmperorDinobot

Sinornis

Yes, thank you posting this incredible news!

I wonder if there will ever come a day when there will be evidence that a bird fell from a nest in a tree. Twigs? Minute clumps of fibers?

I posed this same question to Ryan McKellar last year (one of the papers authors) when the 99 million year old bird wings were found in amber. He responded; As for the arboreal nature of the wings that we worked upon, the amber pieces also included beetles and ants that tend to be associated with trees. This suggested that we were looking at amber samples that were produced on tree trunks, instead of on the forest floor.

http://avianmusing.blogspot.com/

laticauda

Quote from: CityRaptor on June 07, 2017, 05:59:51 PM
Oh, interesting!

Although I fear it is only a matter of time till comment sections on news sites will be flooded with creationists and people who think one can clone it.

The first article I read on this bird mentioned how we might be able to clone the animal Jurassic Park style. 

Neosodon

Quote from: laticauda on June 13, 2017, 02:23:28 AM
Oh, interesting!

The first article I read on this bird mentioned how we might be able to clone the animal Jurassic Park style.
I heard that it is actually technically possible. But the amount of money and effort it would take would be ridiculous.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

stargatedalek

Quote from: Neosodon on June 13, 2017, 03:07:31 AM
Quote from: laticauda on June 13, 2017, 02:23:28 AM
Oh, interesting!

I heard that it is actually technically possible. But the amount of money and effort it would take would be ridiculous.
Considering we can't retrieve DNA from entire geckos in amber that are only a few thousand years old it's safe to say that's wrong.

Faelrin

The amber findings lately have been nothing short of spectacular. All the same, seeing whole creatures that had to die like this makes me sad, let alone a baby, even if it was millions of years ago.

Kind of off topic, but am I the only one that noticed on the sidebar of that National Geographic article on this discovery, that they have T. rex done as T. Rex? I would have thought they'd do it right.  ???
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

BlueKrono

Not every NG writer is a biologist, or a stickler like you and me.  ;)
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Patrx

Quote from: Faelrin on June 13, 2017, 05:10:20 AMI would have thought they'd do it right.  ???

Therein lies your problem, I think  ;) Sadly, the days of National Geographic reliably getting things right appear to be well behind us.

Megalosaurus

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

ZoPteryx

Now THIS is a discovery!!!

*crosses fingers* Up next, c'mon baby pterosaur!

WarrenJB

Quote from: Neosodon on June 13, 2017, 03:07:31 AM

Well that's why you put it in a theme park and charge goofy prices to see it. ;)

Fantastic find. Although I can see Faelrin's POV. Most fossils require something to die to kick off the process, but this fairly vivid snapshot can look like it's happening right now, under our noses.

OpalornisHuali

Wow! It is an amazing discovery!

I really hate that people go on about cloning.. These animals have no place in today's ecosystems, they will live only in captivity as spectacles for human entertainment, and they will suffer for it.

I say to anyone who wants to clone an extinct dinosaur.. Or any ancient extinct animal..
Leave her dead, she is no longer suffering..

stargatedalek

Quote from: OpalornisHuali on July 01, 2017, 01:44:17 AM

I really hate that people go on about cloning.. These animals have no place in today's ecosystems, they will live only in captivity as spectacles for human entertainment, and they will suffer for it.

I say to anyone who wants to clone an extinct dinosaur.. Or any ancient extinct animal..
Sorry but that's a very closed minded ideal. You make it sound like all zoos and aquaria are abusive, which is far from truth. The subtleties of law regarding animal husbandry are either ignored or blown ludicrously out of proportion by the media, but suffice to say zoos or aquariums that actually abuse their animals are almost nonexistent in the modern first world, and even ones with simply improper housing are seeing huge progress in updating and maintaining newer improved exhibits.

Even if we pretend we're living in the 1930's when zoos were composed of little more than concrete pits, a specimen that costs such crazy amounts of money to obtain would be well treated, irregardless of where it ended up.

Then there's also rewilding to consider, something like Raphus or the various extinct giant tortoises actually do still have a place in their respective ecosystems, and their presence would be very beneficial. One could even make a case for creatures like great auks or moas/Haast's eagle, which would require extensive populations and accompanying regulations before being reintroduced, but the actual ecosystem itself would likely be able to handle them if not benefit from their presence. It's impossible to clone something from a fossil which means aside from cases where humans or invasive species have already completely destroyed the habitat all extinct animals that realistically could be brought back would have a place in the wild.

If you want to talk about the animals suffering, feel free to bring up the likely failures of cloning, deformed hybrids, and highly likely future of inbreeding and overall poor health. Screaming "ZOOS ARE BAD" only makes you look like another sheep blindly following the exploits of dangerously misinformative organizations like PETA or ALF, and it won't earn your argument any sympathy, especially among a very scientifically minded community.

Goldfish have no place in any wild ecosystems, should we euthanize all goldfish?

alexeratops

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 01, 2017, 02:51:30 AM

Sorry but that's a very closed minded ideal. You make it sound like all zoos and aquaria are abusive, which is far from truth. The subtleties of law regarding animal husbandry are either ignored or blown ludicrously out of proportion by the media, but suffice to say zoos or aquariums that actually abuse their animals are almost nonexistent in the modern first world, and even ones with simply improper housing are seeing huge progress in updating and maintaining newer improved exhibits.

Even if we pretend we're living in the 1930's when zoos were composed of little more than concrete pits, a specimen that costs such crazy amounts of money to obtain would be well treated, irregardless of where it ended up.

Then there's also rewilding to consider, something like Raphus or the various extinct giant tortoises actually do still have a place in their respective ecosystems, and their presence would be very beneficial. One could even make a case for creatures like great auks or moas/Haast's eagle, which would require extensive populations and accompanying regulations before being reintroduced, but the actual ecosystem itself would likely be able to handle them if not benefit from their presence. It's impossible to clone something from a fossil which means aside from cases where humans or invasive species have already completely destroyed the habitat all extinct animals that realistically could be brought back would have a place in the wild.

If you want to talk about the animals suffering, feel free to bring up the likely failures of cloning, deformed hybrids, and highly likely future of inbreeding and overall poor health. Screaming "ZOOS ARE BAD" only makes you look like another sheep blindly following the exploits of dangerously misinformative organizations like PETA or ALF, and it won't earn your argument any sympathy, especially among a very scientifically minded community.

Goldfish have no place in any wild ecosystems, should we euthanize all goldfish?
Wow, you seem like you've had this debate before.
like a bantha!

OpalornisHuali

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 01, 2017, 02:51:30 AM

You will be surprised who is truly misinforming the public. While PETA isn't completely reliable, and is actually very corrupt, so are the zoos themselves as of course they will try to make their businesses look good. PETA and ALF are not the only ones who go undercover behind the scenes at such facilities, either.
There is something called "zoochosis", it is abnormal behaviour induced by captivity. Most animals do want to run free and live in the wide open, it's their instinct. Often you can see elephants swaying their head, tigers pacing etc.
Surplus zoo animals are usually killed, and can be sold to canned hunting businesses and shady roadside zoos as well. I can imagine places like that would pay a large price for a dinosaur...
Many zoos kill around 10-30 surplus animals a year, again this varies.

However the big problem with zoos is that they never release animal back into the wild. They are businesses out to make profit and unfortunately this leads to corruption. If they were more like animal sanctuaries and bred animals to be rehabilitated  and released, I would support them for sure. But they aren't like that.

Inbreeding, as you mentioned, can be present as well, some zoos breed animals for a certain "look" such as white tigers, and they have all sorts of problems due to inbreeding.
This goes for hybrid animals like Ligers as well, while not inbred they also often suffer.

What good is it to bring back an animal from the dead, when their lives will be forever in captivity?The good is only to the humans who think it is "cool" to see them.

However I agree, if there are some species who can be  reintroduced into the wild, then yes I support them being brought back to life if possible. In this case perhaps the earth can gain it's lost biodiversity that was destroyed by humans. However as you mentioned there can be problems with that such as inbreeding etc.

I think zoos have great potential. "zoos are bad" is not a definitive, as zoos can be used for good. But neither is "zoos are good", as the majority are just businesses made off the backs of animals.

The same can be said for cloning, it can be used for good, but also for exploitation.

No, of course we shouldn't kill innocent animals who cannot be released, we should take care of the to the best of our ability, but I do think we should stop breeding them. We should focus on helping endangered species, not creating new ones for selfish desires of entertainment or decoration.

Anyways this is a rather controversial topic.. I really shouldn't have said anything as I know it can spark heated argument.. I'm sorry for that.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: