News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Schleich: New for 2018

Started by Takama, July 31, 2017, 10:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

OK so we are alredy aware of the Velociraptor, Carnotarus, and Tyrannosaurus.   But recently someone found a list of other Dinosaurs to be released, and some of them could be instresting

14585 - Velociraptor

14586 - Carnotaurus

14587 - T-Rex

15000 - Triceratops

15001 - Oviraptor

15002 - Dinogorgon

15003 - Therizinosaurus

15004 - Psittacosaurus

15005 - Tawa

Summer

Juvinile Therizinosaurus

Juvinile Tyrannosaurus

Pteranodon

Cave Set

Now of course this could either be for the first half of the year,   or the entire year as a whole. Also, dont get your hopes up for any of them, as they could cancel them like they did the plesiosaurus

SpartanSquat

Thanks for the list! So we are going to have more resculpts of Triceratops and Therizinosaurus. But its awesome for obscure species like Dinogorgon and Tawa. Dinogorgon will be part of first giants?

Shonisaurus

Dinogorgon would be fabulous is a species unknown to me and is a gorgonópsido that can make good pair with the inostrancevia of Safari. Same Schleich does well. I hope you at least try.

CityRaptor

Well, this sounds like it could be interesting. Either in a positive or a hilariously bad way.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Reptilia

Sorry Takama, but where this list is coming from? It doesn't make sense at all since it would screw up the chronological scheme that the new "Dinosaurs" line has followed so far. Only Oviraptor, Triceratops and Therizinosaurus would fit into such scheme, cause they're from late Cretaceous, while Psittacosaurus should have been part of this year's line-up, being an early Cretaceous genus. The other two then are from Permian and Triassic, which is a period that this line already covered last year, and to be honest I don't see Schleich making a gorgonopsid and something as obscure as Tawa. Those last two sound more like fan choices, in my opinion. And the three latest novelties - Velociraptor, Carnotaurus and Tyrannosaurus - are 2017 releases, cause they are available already and also part of the Conquering the Earth set.

Takama

Quote from: Reptilia on July 31, 2017, 11:04:07 PM
Sorry Takama, but where this list is coming from? It doesn't make sense at all since it would screw up the chronological scheme that the new "Dinosaurs" line has followed so far. Only Oviraptor, Triceratops and Therizinosaurus would fit into such scheme, cause they're from late Cretaceous, while Psittacosaurus should have been part of this year's line-up, being an early Cretaceous genus. The other two then are from Permian and Triassic, which is a period that this line already covered last year, and to be honest I don't see Schleich making a gorgonopsid and something as obscure as Tawa. Those last two sound more like fan choices, in my opinion. And the three latest novelties - Velociraptor, Carnotaurus and Tyrannosaurus - are 2017 releases, cause they are available already and also part of the Conquering the Earth set.

http://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t18653-schleich-2018-probably

Reptilia

Yes, I've found myself the source. I wasn't doubting on you but on whoever made this list public, but coming from a retailer I assume it is official. I really don't understand Schleich's logic though. The only thing I can think of is that they'll brand both Dinogorgon and Tawa as The first giants, and the rest as Conquering the Earth. So they basically don't follow a chronological order year by year, but they release their figures under specific tags related to the time period the animals are from. Or maybe they just decided to re-launch the prehistoric line once again.

SpartanSquat

Looking the list of animals that you posted and the current ones...they are going to replace all dinosaurs prior 2016.
Look the page: https://www.schleich-s.com/en/GB/dinosaurs/products/filter/product-type/figurines/theme/age-of-the-dinos.html?dir=desc&order=start_date
The new are for age of dinosaurs

Faelrin

Even though Schleich is not known for accurate figures, I hope the gorgonopsid figure, assuming that its listing is legit, is appealing enough to pick up (at least for me). There really is a severe lack of gorgonospid figures on the market. The only ones I'm aware of are the Safari Inostrancevia, and the JP Lycaenops.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Reptilia

I too hope the gorgonopsid will be good, they are one of my favourite families of prehistoric animals and I'd love to have one in my collection. Didn't think Schleich could make one though, also strange the particular genus they choose.

Irritation

The oviraptor is the only leak I'm liking to hear so far. Just maybe, it can have feathers. The new Therizinosaurus on the other hand, maybe they're going for a more accurate model. IDK. Same might be said with the Triceratops. Psittacosaurus, we'll see......
The other two, I'll have to wait until the get revealed.

Halichoeres

Dinogorgon and Tawa could be pretty interesting, although to avoid any disappointment I'm going to assume they'll turn out like the Barapasaurus. If I'm right, I can be all smug, and if I'm wrong, I'll be pleasantly surprised by a decent toy.

So now their Dimetrodon has a (very approximate) contemporary, and so does their Herrerasaurus, but not their Dunkleosteus. Damn shame, I (probably) would've jumped on another prehistoric fish.

Finally, is it me or do Schleich's products get leaked earlier and more often than those of other companies? I wonder if that's just because of their ubiquity, or if the reports of their strong-arming retailers are true and maybe some shops leak things out of spite.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Reptilia

I don't think those can qualify as leaks. We don't have any image, just a list, so I think that is under Schleich's control when such kind of information surfaces. It sounds like a clever marketing strategy to me, 2017's figures have now all been released and it is the right moment to start giving hints at new products. I seem to remember that last year we saw images for the 2017 figures as early as august, so maybe it won't be that long before we'll see how their Tawa and Dinogorgon look like. And I'm pretty curious, honestly.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Reptilia on August 01, 2017, 05:30:54 AM
I don't think those can qualify as leaks. We don't have any image, just a list, so I think that is under Schleich's control when such kind of information surfaces. It sounds like a clever marketing strategy to me, 2017's figures have now all been released and it is the right moment to start giving hints at new products. I seem to remember that last year we saw images for the 2017 figures as early as august, so maybe it won't be that long before we'll see how their Tawa and Dinogorgon look like. And I'm pretty curious, honestly.

I guess the reason I assumed they were leaks is that last year they picked a fight with the STS Forum because they were using their stock photos which they said only retailers were supposed to have. I'm curious about those two figures, also.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Libraraptor

Dinogorgon?! Wow I hope they won't mess it up.  Such a species should not be made by Schleich but maybe we'll have a surprise just like the Pentaceratops. Tawa?  They'll probably make a ridiculous random theropod and call it Tawa, just like they did with the Herrerasaurus.

Flaffy

Oh look Tawa! looks at herrerasaurus, nevermind I'll just be disappointed.
It's the Dinogorgon I'm looking forward to seeing Schleich either:
1. Mess up royally, like they usually do
2. Pleasant surprise like the Pentaceratops and the Kentrosaurus

ZoPteryx

I'm skeptical, but intrigued!  If confirmed, then it means I guessed Oviraptor correctly!  :))  Hopefully they'll pick the right "inspiration" from Google and make these dinos (+ one synapsid) will look half decent.

So should we start placing bets on which images they're going to copy be inspired by?  ;)

sauroid

WOW! Dinogorgon and Tawa. but knowing Schleich and what they did with the Barapasaurus and Herrerasaurus, im not keeping my hopes up (at all!).
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Reptilia

Quote from: ZoPteryx on August 01, 2017, 08:48:18 AM
So should we start placing bets on which images they're going to copy be inspired by?

My bets are on these. That Tawa would look like a decent companion style-wise to their Herrerasaurus, shrink-wrapped skull and dull colour are perfect. As for Dinogorgon I think they'll obviously go with a generic (and well known) depiction of a gorgonopsid. And finally I think the Psittacosaurus won't have quills, just because it's Schleich.

Sim

The Tawa sounds interesting, but Schleich's theropods have tended to be awful.  And given what Schleich's Herrerasaurus is like, I'm expecting disappointmen from Schleich's Tawa.  I still hope Schleich will make a genuine attempt to make a good representation of Tawa, but they seem to have not cared to do this for their other theropods so maybe it's too much to expect to do it now.

Quote from: Reptilia on August 01, 2017, 01:54:58 PM

This reconstruction has pennaceous feathers, even though there are a number of more derived theropod groups that indicate pennaceous feathers had not evolved yet.  Its feathering distribution looks very unnatural and doesn't make sense for pennaceous feathers.  The bulging base of its finger claws are exposed, while in real animals they would be within the skin.  It has no claw on its dewclaw.  There are too many teeth at the front of its upper jaw.  Its hands are pronated.  Its chest is too shallow, I imagine due to not taking into account the gastralia.  Its torso and its tail are too short.  Perhaps being monstrous-looking and very inaccurate makes this reconstruction a good guess for what the Schleich figure will look like.  However, I hope Schleich's Tawa doesn't look like the reconstruction above, and looks more like Scott Hartman's skeletal:

(image source)

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.