News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich: New for 2018

Started by Takama, July 31, 2017, 10:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: alexeratops on August 25, 2017, 04:23:12 AM
Can someone educate me on the difference between Citipati and Oviraptor, and why companies tend to make the wrong animal?

The situation actually involves three oviraptorids: Oviraptor, Citipati and the unnamed 100/42 oviraptorid.  The 100/42 oviraptorid was at different times thought to belong within Oviraptor or Citipati.  However, it has different skull features to Oviraptor and Citipati, and belonging in either of those genera has not been shown to be correct.  In skull features it has been found to be more like Citipati than Oviraptor.  Studies suggest it is a new species, and possibly a new genus too.

The specimen Oviraptor is based on is poorly preserved and very incomplete:

(image source)

As a result, it isn't possible to make a reconstruction that looks like Oviraptor, too much of its skull is missing.

The 100/42 oviraptorid however is almost completely preserved:

(image source)

The 100/42 oviraptorid has become one of the most famous dinosaurs, I'd be surprised if any member of this forum hadn't seen it represented before.  This is because 100/42 is what Oviraptor is usually depicted as.  The 100/42 specimen has been shown to not be Oviraptor for years now, yet the two being the same animal has remained ingrained for many people.  That's why even in recent years, companies still make "Oviraptor" figures that are actually the 100/42 oviraptorid.

I think something that would help resolve the problem is people moving on from Oviraptor.  Oviraptor might be the most famous oviraptorid, but the fame is really just based on its name.  Oviraptor doesn't have a distinctive look because its skull is too damaged and incomplete for anyone to know what it actually looked like.  The famous, distinctive-looking oviraptorid is the unnamed 100/42 oviraptorid, which is just often incorrectly called Oviraptor.  Instead of choosing Oviraptor to represent oviraptorids in toys, figures, books, museums, etc., I think it would be good to choose other oviraptorids instead.  There's a number that look distinctive since unlike Oviraptor their skulls are actually well-preserved, and their skeleton is also overall more completely preserved than in the Oviraptor specimen.  I think it's a bit of a shame that usually when oviraptorids get attention, it's Oviraptor - the one we don't know the appearance of, rather than one of the oviraptorids that does actually show us what these animals looked like.  Well, a part of me doesn't mind, since it can mean the 100/42 specimen is actually getting attention just under the name "Oviraptor", and the 100/42 oviraptorid is very complete and cool-looking.

Something that would be great and very helpful is the 100/42 oviraptorid being given a scientific name!  It's been so well-known and without a name for so long!

The image below shows differences between a number of oviraptorids, including Citipati osmolskae and the 100/42 oviraptorid.  Notice how the front of the crest and beak is almost vertical in Citipati, quite unlike the 100/42 specimen.

(image source)

Faelrin

So I decided to just watch Rupi Bolz reviews on the new Schleich T. rex last night, and the Carnotaurus today. I think I was being too harsh on the T. rex earlier, after I saw the Everything Dinosaur images of it. Sure the head and arms are a bit too big, and the body is shrinkwrapped, but otherwise it has a very nice head sculpt that could almost be on par with Papo's standing T. rex. While it still has its issues, I think it is a step in the right direction for Schleich in regards to their theropods.

The Carnotaurus doesn't seem too bad either, minus the plagiarized design (which includes the oversized scales), too long horns, too wide head, and minor shrinkwrapping. Although of course the other Schleich releases for 2018 revealed blow them away in the realism department. I really hope they step their game up for 2019 in regards to the theropods at least, considering how well done the others are. I mean the others clearly prove they have the potential to do seriously good figures for not just children, but collector's as well.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

Quote from: PaleoMatt on August 25, 2017, 11:07:02 AM
This is such a surprise and I really like all these new reveals in some way or another but my favourite is the Oviraptor(Citipati) and the Psitaccosaurus.

I think based on the figure's head, the Schleich Oviraptor isn't Citipati or Oviraptor, it's the unnamed 100/42 oviraptorid.  The CollectA Oviraptor, Kaiyodo Oviraptor, Colorata Oviraptor, Safari Dino Discoveries Oviraptor, both versions of the Carnegie Collection Oviraptor, and all three versions of the Nakasato Citipati, all appear to represent the 100/42 oviraptorid.  Out of all these figures, I think the Schleich figure is surprisingly among the best with regards to getting the overall look of the animal right.

Going further, looking only at oviraptorid figures that would be considered toys (e.g. those made by Schleich, Safari, CollectA, Papo), I think the Schleich "Oviraptor" is the most accurate by far!  I really like the large size of its wing feathers, the only thing that I can say I personally find off-putting is that the underside of its tail seems to be featherless.  Still, I think all the other oviraptorid toys are more flawed than the Schleich "Oviraptor".  For example: The CollectA figure lacks believable wing feathering, is missing the small first toe, and has oversized eyes.  The two Carnegie figures lack believable wing feathering and the older one has a too-long tail and lacks rectrices.  The Safari Dino Discoveries figure is missing feathers on its body, tail and fingers.  The Papo figure shows just how ugly a feathered animal can look when reconstructed without feathers, and has a pronated hand.

Reptilia

Quote from: Faelrin on August 26, 2017, 05:37:02 PM
So I decided to just watch Rupi Bolz reviews on the new Schleich T. rex last night

I moderately like the new Tyrannosaurus, they could have done better with the paint job, cause I sincerely don't understand the yellow shades here and there, particularly over the hips. What's really off-putting for me are the blunted teeth, if they were sharper like in Papo figures the model would have been much better looking.

terrorchicken

Im speechless, what an improvement! The triceratops is retro but classy, the gorgonopsid is cool and amazingly free of those  large scales and bony jutting whatevers they love putting on their non- furry animals (that would have probably made it look like a hellhound)and the psittaco looks like it came from another company. OTOH Im disappointed with the oviraptor, while it is the best version that will be available now, its still ugly. The tawa too.

amargasaurus cazaui

I am guessing but I assume the psittacosaurus image is based off a piece of artwork and not the actual toy itself. Regarding the hands posture, I believe the angle and pose are deceptive and the hands are correctly oriented .....because in order for the hands to be properly oriented you have to consider the placement of the arm bones themselves rather than just the hands. The art seems to make the bones appear stacked vertically, rather than being horizontally parallel, which would orient the hands properly . The skull of that fellow is quite indicative of species, of course. I am excited to see this being made, and will be buying a few for the shelf as I always do with psittacosaurus models.
   Almost as exciting to me is the oviraptorid, which is another animal I collect as often as possible, as it goes on the shelf with my two eggs, from this type dinosaur ....I normally do not purchase this companys models, but two wins in one year from them for me here
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

stargatedalek

I think that's a photo of the actual figure, you can see some seams on the quills.

tanystropheus

The feathered Oviraptor is reminiscent of Himmapaan's ambitious project (He was attempting to mod the Papo Oviraptor)

Reptilia

The Psittacosaurus looks definitely the actual figure, the one that looks like a drawing is the Tawa. And it's an awful drawing, really can't stand its clownish feet and ridicolous quills.

PumperKrickel

deleted

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 27, 2017, 10:05:02 PM
I think that's a photo of the actual figure, you can see some seams on the quills.
Ah no wonder, I was looking at the image in reply #93..rather than the first page of pictures, sorry. I do see it now and understand the comment regarding the pronated hands.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

alexeratops

In response to Sim's "Oviraptor" post:
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to help me learn something, Sim! That is definitely very intriguing, thanks for sharing!
like a bantha!

Sim

Quote from: alexeratops on August 28, 2017, 03:59:13 AM
In response to Sim's "Oviraptor" post:
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to help me learn something, Sim! That is definitely very intriguing, thanks for sharing!

I'm happy to hear that, alexeratops! :)

Ravonium

The Psittacosaurus actually looks alright in my opinion (apart from the colour scheme). The same can be applied for the Dinogorgon (it's just a shame that the other Paleozoic models Schleich has made are awful) and the Oviraptor, even though it's probably a model of a Citipati, not an Oviraptor.

The Velociraptor may be feathered, but it still suffers from a JP-like skull and the bare arm-feathering that their previous Velociraptor models had (even if the problem isn't as bad on this one.)

The only praise I can give to the Therizinosaurus is that it's color scheme is less seizure-inducing, but only slightly more fitting than the last one.

The Tawa is better than most Schleich models, but it's only good enough to be an 'OK model'

I have nothing to say about the rest.

Overall, I think that this is a noticeable improvement from their 2017 models.

sauroid

i hope the Carnotaurus, raptor and T.rex will be the last of their kind and the start of a new age for Schleich
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: SuperiorSpider on August 28, 2017, 02:25:06 AM
Might pick up the Oviraptor, just to repaint it and see how it looks with a more interesting paintjob.

Not gonna lie, though: I´m sort of bummed Schleich isn´t making a new Stegosaurid in 2018, since their previous efforts have been very good. Miragaia or Dacentrurus would have been nice additions to the Schleich shelf.

SuperiorSpider, you have to keep in mind that only the first batch of dinosaurs of Schleich 2018 has been revealed. It is not possible to make figures of those dinosaurs that you mention, I do not know anything about Schleich's projects but what I said to me is not impossible .

Nobody gave a hard time for Schleich a year ago (me first) until I started to comment on which Schleich could make figures worthy of competing with leading companies and I see that I was not mistaken. I always have in every dinosaur company total hope. At least we have for now the kentrosaurus that for me is a remarkable improvement of the previous one and it should be noted that its predecessor was good.

Takama

And the photos of the new models have been Blocked by somthing

The all powerful Schleich strikes again ::)

I have some choice words to say about them. But none of them are freindly for the forum

PumperKrickel

deleted

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Takama on August 29, 2017, 05:58:55 PM
And the photos of the new models have been Blocked by somthing

The all powerful Schleich strikes again ::)

I have some choice words to say about them. But none of them are freindly for the forum
Ah, typical of them ;D
Too bad, the second half of figures actually looks good for a change.

Takama

I can find the images, and re upload them if you guys think thats a fine idea.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: