News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich: New for 2018

Started by Takama, July 31, 2017, 10:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

IrritatorRaji

Not sure if it's just the dodgy stock photo but that Rex looks awful...

mgaguilar

@irritatorraji, I think, by Schleich's standards, it's their best rex that's been made. That being said, the standard isn't very high.  ;)

And it's much smaller than the current adult it's supposed to be paired with, that's disappointing.

Loon

"Pteranodon Had Orange Eyebrows, According to New Toy" will likely be a headline on some poor pop science site soon.

DragonRider02

That pteranodon looks like it's legs aren't connected to the body...

Loon

Quote from: DragonRider02 on March 27, 2018, 07:53:31 AM

Ravonium

Quote from: DragonRider02 on March 27, 2018, 07:53:31 AM

It looks more like they've tucked part of the leg under the membrane (which isn't that much better, as I'm pretty sure that would make it less aerodynamic).

Minmiminime

They're mostly typical Schleich, but the more I see of that little rex, the more I like it, it's very charming. I wonder if this is the same sculptor as the Psittacosaurus, because under the lurid paint job, that thing is stunning! So much detail. They are more than capable of producing excellent prehistoric replicas, that's obvious. I think the frustration stems from them apparently wilfully refusing to do so
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Reptilia

Both juveniles look far worse in those promo pictures, but still I'm curious to see them in hand. Not that I have any intention to purchase either of the two, but Schleich products are everywhere so I have no doubt I will stumble upon them sooner or later. The Pteranodon is another all-time low for Schleich. Not only the sculpt is bad, but I find the colour choice pretty silly, especially the yellow beak and that orange thing above the eye.

IrritatorRaji

Came across this pic of the 3 new dinosaurs. The Pteranodon and Juvenile Therizinosaurus look really lacklustre, but I won't lie, I'm liking this Juvenile Rex It's no Safari or Papo, but the proportions look really nice. For Schleich it's definitely pretty good.

And you can kinda get a feel for their size here. Screencaps are from various videos for Schleich at toy fairs.

And for anyone who's interested in the Herrerasaurus and Psittacosaurus recolours

Shonisaurus

My particular opinion about the figures of Schleich in July is that his most beautiful figure is undoubtedly the juvenile tyrannosaurus is the figure of tyrannosaurus best made by the company obviously followed by the one released at the end of last year.  :)  8)

The therizinosaurus junenil Schleich 2018 is somewhat and forgive the expression figure intended for children's consumption but within it fits is a worthy figure of the pop art of dinosaurs.

As for Schleich's pteranodon, it is a very weak figure for me in the group and sincerely, from my point of view, we need good figures of that well-known pterosaur since the precedents are very obsolete.

In short, I'm left with the spectacular figure of Tyrannosaurus Rex Juvenile Schleich is the best theropod made by this company in its history and is appreciated. Schleich, as I said, has potential but often does not exploit it properly. But this year on average it has a note of remarkable medium high.

SidB

Size-wise, compared with the new T-Rex, could the "juvenile" pass as a Gorgosaurus/ Albertosaurus? Schleich tried an Albertosaurus in the past (ReplicaSaurus), but that was less than a roaring success.

mgaguilar

@IrritatorRaji changed your mind about the Rex eh?  >:D And thanks for the photo drop!

I am now certain that I will be picking up the Rex. I really needed those photos to solidify my feelings towards the figure.

@SidB it does seem like it could possibly pass for either, though the skull looks to be a bit deep for an Albertosaurus.

Faelrin

I'm pretty sure I said this already, but that juvenile looks far better then the adult version they did for this year. I do think this is probably their best T. rex figure yet. Might even look better with a repaint.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Minmiminime

Quote from: Faelrin on March 27, 2018, 06:32:50 PM
I'm pretty sure I said this already, but that juvenile looks far better then the adult version they did for this year. I do think this is probably their best T. rex figure yet. Might even look better with a repaint.

I wholeheartedly agree! It looks really nice. Cute, and it's not breaking any new ground, but nicely detailed! It's like they gave the sculptor the brief, and they thought "nope, I'm going to show you how to really do a T. rex" >:D
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Reptilia

The more I see of the Tyrannosaurus and the less it looks like a juvenile to me. The adult version has an oversized head and a rather short tail, the so-called cub has right proportions instead, and doesn't show a single trait you can associate with a young specimen. As for the Therizinosaurus, it could actually pass as a female compared to the bigger version, which automatically becomes the male.

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: mgaguilar on March 27, 2018, 05:52:40 PM
@IrritatorRaji changed your mind about the Rex eh?  >:D And thanks for the photo drop!

I've always liked the Juvi Rex, but given that all I'd known about the figure stemmed from this blurry photo I was just really thrown off by the sight of that unflattering stock photo :P Hence why I went hunting for more photos and videos, I was desperate to find out if the Rex was really that ugly ;D

terrorchicken

the young rex isnt bad and the set with the herrerasaurus and psitacco is cool. I like the rocky scenery accessory.
The new fantasy creatures are pretty awesome! I collect Bayala and Safari fantasy creatures so those will fit in well. The lava animals are especially nice!

Reptilia

Would love to know if the mystery third Vlad Konstantinov piece is the Triceratops. I will probably end up getting it regardless, I've seen it in hand and it's pretty darn cool.

tanystropheus

some of these figures look a bit scary.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: