News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Great American Eclipse of 2017

Started by EmperorDinobot, August 21, 2017, 07:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmperorDinobot

Hello friends! I just got back from seeing it! I live in Oregon and I was at like 98% totality! It's my second 98% totality eclipse in my lifetime! I saw the one in Venezuela in 1998.

Here's a pic I took.

I watched it with my family and it got freaky dark for a minute! Some dinosaurs around us looked at us with confused faces and started fighting right before it got dark and after, yelling about breakfast/dinner. We let them carry on.

I'm jealous 'coz my cousin went to Madras, Oregon and saw the corona and stuff. That's a town of 6k people, flooded by an upwards of 10k people. The people who went to the coast were not so lucky because it got cloudy, as it usually is in Oregon. The city can be devoid of clouds, but the coast is always going to be cloudy.

Any cool experiences hic et ubique?

Appalachiosaurus

I got to see the %80 about an hour ago, it was pretty hard to see and it only got as dark as if a large cloud passed by, but it was still a great experience. I plan on seeing the next full one in 2024 and 2099 (if i'm alive then) in %100.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I just got home myself from seeing the eclipse! 76% coverage here, but it didn't get dark at all.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Mononykus

I got to monitor the eclipse-watching station on our campus (because our Astronomy professor was in Idaho for some reason  ;)  , using an open, mirror telescope designed for sun-watching that projected the image onto paper. Here is the eclipse as it looked right around the maximum (about 70%) here in Arizona. Before and after the eclipse, it was possible to see sunspots (the image of the sun is around 3" across).

Neosodon

Managed to get off a fail diorama during the few seconds the eclipse shown through the clouds.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Takama

When it happend here, it was no diffrent then a cloudy day.

I stayed indoors because i did not want to risk blinding myself, because i lacked the means to protect my eyes.  However I did get one picture

paleoferroequine

Well, here in Missouri, we were blessed! Where I live (Rolla,Missouri)it was 99.96% but not good enough!!. We drove about 30-40 miles to Owensville, MO where it had 100% and 2min 30 sec of totality! Yea!!! Really great experience, oddly not total sky darkness. A few clouds in the sky (never obscured) and high humidity caused quite a bit of light reflecting off of the sky. But the temperature dropped a lot and the crickets and cicadas started to sing! Jupiter, Venus and Mercury appeared and some bright stars also. Unfortunately my camera is brain dead and I can't manually focus it so it wouldn't auto focus properly during the partial phase. At least it more or less worked during totality. Not the best pics but better than nothing!!

On the lower left is the planet Mercury.

End of totality.

EmperorDinobot

Wow! Those are some supreme pictures! Well done! I had no idea what I was doing XD

We would have gone to Madras, but the crowds really scared me. Maybe McMinnville would have been a better bet.

I remember seeing the 1998 one that crossed paths with Venezuela, also 98% totality where I was located. I've got my 98% game on strong! I am going to definitely go out of my way to see the 2024 one in full totality. I won't be afraid to brave the crowds then!

Lanthanotus

Nice pictures everyone, I especially like your's Neosodon, exerting the effort to make a diorama from it, nice idea.

I experienced a 100 % eclipse in 1999 from the roof of my parent's house and it was very impressive despite the coud cover (with special glasses also on the telescope you still could see it through so to say) but it will be until 2081 for the next total one here in Germany.... I'd be 105 by then :D

QuetzalcoatlusKing

Newt

I haven't processed my photos yet; I'll post them eventually. I got a great view of full totality near my childhood home in northwestern Middle Tennessee, pretty close to the point of maximum duration of totality. I went to an open hilltop on a friend's farm. The sky was nearly cloudless. The strange dusk was really striking; there was even a pseudo-sunset all the way around the horizon. The cows and chickens certainly got excited, or at least noisy.

Newt

Jose S.M.

That really looks like a weird sunset. Nice photos everyone. Here in Costa Rica we had only like a 20% coverage or something so it was not really that impressive and  as always when theres some interesing celestial event, the sky was clouded in my town.

ZoPteryx

Great photos everyone!  In this part of Montana we had something like 85% totality, which one source said is comparable to daylight on Jupiter.  It was weird to watch the robins and other birds suddenly stop foraging and fly up into the trees, presumably to roost.

Bowhead Whale

It was partial where I live. However, the sky where the eclipse occured was ssooooo bright, I could not even take a glance there.

The Atroxious

Quote from: ZoPteryx on September 05, 2017, 06:02:14 AM
Great photos everyone!  In this part of Montana we had something like 85% totality, which one source said is comparable to daylight on Jupiter.  It was weird to watch the robins and other birds suddenly stop foraging and fly up into the trees, presumably to roost.

Jealous. We got 87% where I live, but it was so cloudy that the light just got diffused everywhere and it looked like any old overcast day unless I was looking through my welding goggles at the sun.

There was an eclipse with even less coverage when I was really young that was apparently more impressive than this one. Ah well, I think there's an even bigger one coming in...about seven years I believe? Hopefully that one will happen on a clear day.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.