News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd.: New for 2018

Started by Patrx, August 25, 2017, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLMjp

Man, that Trike is GORGEOUS! I guess we can all agree that it is THE Triceratops figure.

I just wish european online retailers got Safari figures earlier. I HATE waiting for beauties like this!

terrorchicken

Quote from: Loon on December 01, 2017, 12:25:43 AM
Doug Watson has confirmed the Triceratops is 1:35 scale, to go with this year's Tyrannosaurus. Also, based on my calculations, the Regaliceratops is 1:30 scale, as the real animal was about 16 feet long and 6 feet tall, and the model is 6.75 inches long and 2.75 inches tall.

It's prehistoric wildlife, but, at least the measurements are right.
Quote from: Halichoeres on December 01, 2017, 12:13:43 AM
Quote from: terrorchicken on November 30, 2017, 10:45:19 PM
I know triceratops was the largest ceratopsian, so is it to scale(more or less) with the others in the picture?

By my estimates, the scales are roughly:

1:15-1:20 Vagaceratops
1:25-1:30 Einiosaurus
1:30 Nasutoceratops
1:30-1:35 Diabloceratops
1:40 Pachyrhinosaurus

I don't have the two new ones yet, but I'm guessing the Regaliceratops will be roughly 1:25-1:30 and the Trike will be around 1:35.

thanks! would the new ankylosaurus also be 1:35?

EmperorDinobot

These just get better and better.

Just wonderful!

Shonisaurus

Sincerely Safari with Collecta are the two dinosaur toy companies that have more variety of different figures of ceraptosides. I like both but in general terms I am more attracted to Safari in terms of finishing and scientific precision.

Although I have to admit that I also like very much Collecta the styracosaurus, xenoceratops, mercuriceratops, einiosaurus and regaliceratops among other figures but sincerely spoiled the scientific theory of putting plumage on the back. without removing a fascinating image of their ceraptosides. .

John

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 02, 2017, 03:04:10 PM
Sincerely Safari with Collecta are the two dinosaur toy companies that have more variety of different figures of ceraptosides. I like both but in general terms I am more attracted to Safari in terms of finishing and scientific precision.

Although I have to admit that I also like very much Collecta the styracosaurus, xenoceratops, mercuriceratops, einiosaurus and regaliceratops among other figures but sincerely spoiled the scientific theory of putting plumage on the back. without removing a fascinating image of their ceraptosides. .
And here's something that I never noticed until I got them all together but in the last batch of CollectA ceratopsians,the later the ceratopsian,the smaller the bristles running down the tail get.In Styracosaurus,they are the biggest (but shorter than those found on Psittacosaurus),in the later Einiosaurus they are just a little bit shorter,and in Regaliceratops,shorter still,which gives a hint that the bristles are maybe even lost completely by the time of Triceratops.This makes this new Triceratops displayable with both Safari's other ceratopsians and CollectA's,depending on when you believe bristles were actually lost on ceratopsians after Psittacosaurus. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

joossa

Got my trike in the mail. The bulk reminds me of The Papo trike. Pretty impressive.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

tyrantqueen

Quote from: suspsy on November 30, 2017, 09:15:21 PM
Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on November 30, 2017, 09:13:17 PM
My triceratops came in today!

"We all felt at last that the boss had arrived."

Very nice collection...but doesn't it bug you that they're not in scale? I have scale OCD :-[ Makes collecting really hard sometimes...

terrorchicken

^me too. I like to display my figures by scale and it can be a challenge.

btw, your sig....large amphibians creep me out(as cool as they are). :o Thank goodness most of them went extinct during the Permian.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: terrorchicken on December 02, 2017, 06:09:28 PM
^me too. I like to display my figures by scale and it can be a challenge.

btw, your sig....large amphibians creep me out(as cool as they are). :o Thank goodness most of them went extinct during the Permian.

Aww, I think it's kinda cute.

PhilSauria

I suspect that I may be in the minority here, but scale is not an issue with me - if I like a figure I will buy it regardless of the size, though I do tend to favor larger figures and avoid the smaller ones (no Kaiyodos in my collection). Having said that though I will display figures of a similar size together but that is a choice based on visual aesthetics (to my eye) rather than scientific accuracy. And on that score I wouldn't say it bothers me unduly if a figure is not entirely rendered in scientific accuracy, it seems to be a bit of a lost cause to expect that from the manufacturers of mass market figures, going by experience it does not appear to be major factor in the design decisions of a lot of them! Case in point is the Papo Allosaurus, an awesome looking and popular figure that would not pass the accuracy test.

Shonisaurus

I am also of the opinion that dinosaurs and prehistoric animals are not subject to scales for me "the big is beautiful" and I state my opinion.

Sincerely, for a dinosaur collector who likes scales, he will prefer that the figures are provided is more scientific. We have an example with the dinosaurs of Invicta, but to exist some prehistoric animals of less considerable size as glyptoton, scelidosaurus or mammoth are millimetric. I deserve all the respect and understanding to those who like the figures in scale that as you say will be the majority of the members of the forum, but I honestly do not obsess about the figures being made to scale for a simple reason:

Being larger animals are usually obviously more detailed and more attractive not only for collectors but also for children that will encourage them more creativity and playability from my humble point of view. In my case I prefer dinosaurs and prehistoric animals of medium-large or large size (in this case I mean the sauropods), especially I'm interested in the figures being scientific, that's enough for me and I sincerely prefer them very detailed and of an acceptable size.

On the other hand there are many members of the forum who like the figures of dinosaurs provided for a reason to be collectible figures an example is in the collectors of trains have not only the trains to scale but also the figures that make up that landscape. My greatest wish is that the collections of trains or cars provided by their size can not be extrapolated to prehistoric animals PVC, resin or vinyl. This does not mean that there are figures of hundreds of miniature prehistoric animals that are true works of art and that nothing has to envy the figures of medium or large size.

Finishing I like big figures because they are more attractive as long as they are well made (for example the Safari acrocanthosaurus does not convince me much in spite of its size nor is it from my point of view attractive), and there are figures of small size or scale which are impressive for example the pachycephalosaurus of Battat or the pachycephalosaurus of Favorite, the marine creatures of Collecta to put another example, but that does not mean that there are figures unfortunately not finished as the mini dinosaurs of Schleich or some of Papo and I say with all the respect in the world.

tanystropheus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 02, 2017, 05:33:37 PM
Quote from: suspsy on November 30, 2017, 09:15:21 PM
Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on November 30, 2017, 09:13:17 PM
My triceratops came in today!

"We all felt at last that the boss had arrived."

Very nice collection...but doesn't it bug you that they're not in scale? I have scale OCD :-[ Makes collecting really hard sometimes...

Some of the species are mid-range adults, and some juvenile  ;)

acro-man

I am so eager to know if the Trike is in 1/35?
If yes, then it's a MUST BUY!
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

Jose S.M.

Quote from: acro-man on December 03, 2017, 04:08:10 PM
I am so eager to know if the Trike is in 1/35?
If yes, then it's a MUST BUY!

According with Doug Watson the Trike it's in 1/35, and looks like that comparing it with his 1/35 Tyrannosaurus.

acro-man

Ah, yes yes.
Awesome! I will get it.

Thanks
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

Halichoeres

Quote from: terrorchicken on December 01, 2017, 11:26:09 PM

It looks like it to me! I'm not certain, but I'll be ordering this and the rest of my 2018 batch as soon as the Malawisaurus is available, and I'll definitely post my estimate.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Doug Watson

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 02, 2017, 10:55:27 PM
Some of the species are mid-range adults, and some juvenile  ;)

I know you were joking but this actually illustrates just how big Triceratops was. Except for the Diabloceratops which is also 1:35 and the Pachyrhinosaurus which is 1:40 and would be a little bigger all of the other horned dinos would be even smaller if they were done in 1:35 scale. They are all based on the higher size range for their species and the Nasutoceratops is 1:30, Vagaceratops is 1:25, Regaliceratops is 1:25 and the Einiosaurus is 1:22.

The Ankylosaurus was sculpted to be 1:35 scale after shrinkage based on an 8 meter individual.

terrorchicken

Quote from: Doug Watson on December 04, 2017, 04:24:48 AM
The Ankylosaurus was sculpted to be 1:35 scale after shrinkage based on an 8 meter individual.

^thanks Doug!

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 03, 2017, 08:34:24 PM

It looks like it to me! I'm not certain, but I'll be ordering this and the rest of my 2018 batch as soon as the Malawisaurus is available, and I'll definitely post my estimate.

thanks! Id love to see how big the malawi looks next to the other recent Safari figures.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Doug Watson on December 04, 2017, 04:24:48 AM

I know you were joking but this actually illustrates just how big Triceratops was. Except for the Diabloceratops which is also 1:35 and the Pachyrhinosaurus which is 1:40 and would be a little bigger all of the other horned dinos would be even smaller if they were done in 1:35 scale. They are all based on the higher size range for their species and the Nasutoceratops is 1:30, Vagaceratops is 1:25, Regaliceratops is 1:25 and the Einiosaurus is 1:22.

Thanks for the info, Doug. There's a couple minor differences from my estimates, but I'm sure you took more measurements than I did. Good to have it from the horse's mouth, if you'll forgive my calling you a horse ;)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Doug Watson

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 05, 2017, 12:19:11 AM
Thanks for the info, Doug. There's a couple minor differences from my estimates, but I'm sure you took more measurements than I did. Good to have it from the horse's mouth, if you'll forgive my calling you a horse ;)

Better than being called a horse's a_ _!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: