News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd.: New for 2018

Started by Patrx, August 25, 2017, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reptilia

So next week we'll get a full reveal? Maybe all the prehistorics have been already either officially hinted or leaked.

ZoPteryx

Another sauropod?! Nice!  8)  Seems awfully slender and narrow gauged for a Camarasaurus, so I'm guessing it's a diplodocoid of some sort.  With luck, maybe something even more exotic than Amargasaurus.  Haplocanthosaurus?  Rebbachisaurus?  Dicraeosaurus?  The mythic Brachytrachelopan?

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on September 22, 2017, 01:13:52 AM
Also according to the official Safari Ltd newsletter, we should be getting to see the first wave in full next week!

How exciting!  ;D

Shonisaurus

What I really appreciate about Safari is that its figures are the first to be revealed and the first to be marketed. Now other companies like Schleich are doing the same thing in a way.

I sincerely prefer to buy the figures at the beginning of the year or at the end of this years in a physical or online store that will be waiting months as it happens with the rest of the dinosaur toy companies. Although that is within the philosophy of each company.

Faelrin

I like how Safari does it as well, and not just because I want to buy these things right after seeing them, but it's good for me to plan ahead and save up in case I need too.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

terrorchicken

Quote from: Daspletotyrannus on September 21, 2017, 10:43:26 PM
Quote from: terrorchicken on September 21, 2017, 09:33:31 PM
Quote from: Daspletotyrannus on September 21, 2017, 07:17:51 PM
I wonder if it might be an Amargasaurus. As I don't think it a new Nigersaurus because they are retiring the current one. What I'm hoping for is Europasaurus or Camarasaurus.

they are retiring the nigersaurus? do you know if Safari are retiring any other figures this year?

it be cool if the horse was a prehistoric/extinct species...

I heard Gastornis, Inostrancevia, baby Triceratops, baby Pteranodon, Baby Stegosaurus, and Edmontosaurus  are retiring too. The prehistoric shark toob and Cambrian Life toob  are retiring.  I've been hearing for awhile about  Nigersaurus and Gastornis but this year I started hearing Inostrancevia.   Right now they are all on sell on the website and from what I understand when that happens the are retiring. Oh and the last prehistoric trees too is going.

That is what happened when the prehistoric crocodiles toob was retired.

**edit **
I've emailed them asking about what prehistoric / dinosaurs figures that are being retired.  So if they tell me I'll update you guys.

thank you! fortunately  I have all of them, including the plants. I still need to see what extant figures they have on sale as I still need to pick up some of those.
I really hate when these companies retire figures(Schleich is especially bad since they will retire stuff only a couple years after they are released!) but I guess I understand why they have to do it.

Andreioli

Did you guy see the latest teaser image on the Safari Ltd Facebook page ?

What could that eye belong to ?

stargatedalek

Quote from: Andreioli on September 22, 2017, 07:10:18 PM
Did you guy see the latest teaser image on the Safari Ltd Facebook page ?

What could that eye belong to ?
I would guess a whale, but maybe a pachyderm or an extinct animal.

Foot is probably a dragon, and the ear is the dog from the video.

Andreioli

I'm hoping for an Estemmenosuchus, Moschops or Lystrosaurus.
Or any other underrepresented Permian or even Triassic beast.

Daspletotyrannus

Can the foot be a harpy? The ear most likely a dog of some type.  The eye I'm not sure.  I hope it is something prehistoric.  Lol

Oh update on retiring figures.  The Hot Deals section has the retiring figures but they did say some figures have a quick deal but it doesn't mean it is retiring.  They didn't give me a list of names.

Shonisaurus

The claw looks more like the mythological animal arpy that has been revealed in a data leak (I believe 100 percent that is what I imagine) in the forum sts forum. In short, it is a creature of Greco-Roman mythology.

The ear from my point of view and I agree with members of the forum is a dog, can be a bulldog or boxer.

As for the eye it seems to be a herbivorous dinosaur or a dragon (could also be).

For now we can only talk about guessing until they reveal the figures Safari can not get very close.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Andreioli on September 22, 2017, 07:29:12 PM

Man, I like that eye. Please let it be an Estemmenosuchus. It does have an estemmenoid look ;D.

Jose S.M.

The eye has me wondering... doesn't seem to be scaly, looks like skin. But could be that it's scales are very faint like this years Diplodocus.

ZoPteryx

That eye looks very interesting, especially considering the texturing around it.  I'm inclined to think it's something prehistoric but non-dinosaurian.  ???

Shonisaurus

Quote from: postsaurischian on September 22, 2017, 08:20:12 PM
Quote from: Andreioli on September 22, 2017, 07:29:12 PM

Man, I like that eye. Please let it be an Estemmenosuchus. It does have an estemmenoid look ;D.

I would sincerely prefer it to be an estemmenosuchus is one of my favorite prehistoric animals that are not dinosaurs next to the uintatherium and elasmotherium.

But honestly it seems to me rather a peaceful herbivorous creature like a dinosaur. What is said are only conjectures. Until at least the end of this month we will not know much. The figures last year were fully revealed in October, so we will have to wait. Anyway I like that game to the riddles of Safari.

Reptilia

In the Facebook post were this latest mix of fragments is included Safari pretty much says the eye belongs to a prehistoric figure. Estemmenosuchus is an intriguing possibility, with Schleich releasing a gorgonopsid another permian beast would be welcome.

tanystropheus

Imagine if Safari also releases a Dinogorgon!

I would be super-happy with an Estemmenosuchus or a Moschops. I like their previous Inostrancevia, but it could use a wash to bring out the details.

Faelrin

I'd definitely like to see a Moschops. Thing is under represented for sure. Same with Estemmenosuchus. I'd just be afraid of them going the way of the Scutosaurus, Gastornis, Inostrancevia, etc. Retired after a few years.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

John

I hate to rain on anybody's parade,but I don't think that the eye in the bottom picture belongs to anything prehistoric.It looks to me like the eye of a babirusa,an animal that I know Safari is releasing next year. :-X
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Reptilia

Here's what they posted with the picture on Facebook:

"A foot, an ear, an eye...whatever could they be? Mythical creatures, loyal pets, prehistoric beasts? You'll find out soon enough when our 2018 collections drop!"

To me sounds like they're saying the eye belongs to a prehistoric, no?

BlueKrono

Quote from: John on September 23, 2017, 04:49:54 AM
I hate to rain on anybody's parade,but I don't think that the eye in the bottom picture belongs to anything prehistoric.It looks to me like the eye of a babirusa,an animal that I know Safari is releasing next year. :-X

I think you're right about the babirusa. Those brown irises... That foot is definitely a dragon or some other mythical creature.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: