News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd.: New for 2018

Started by Patrx, August 25, 2017, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Quote from: BlueKrono on September 23, 2017, 05:01:03 AM
Quote from: John on September 23, 2017, 04:49:54 AM
I hate to rain on anybody's parade,but I don't think that the eye in the bottom picture belongs to anything prehistoric.It looks to me like the eye of a babirusa,an animal that I know Safari is releasing next year. :-X

I think you're right about the babirusa. Those brown irises... That foot is definitely a dragon or some other mythical creature.
The foot is indeed from something mythical,it's from a harpy. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

ZoPteryx

Quote from: Reptilia on September 23, 2017, 04:57:45 AM
Here's what they posted with the picture on Facebook:

"A foot, an ear, an eye...whatever could they be? Mythical creatures, loyal pets, prehistoric beasts? You'll find out soon enough when our 2018 collections drop!"

To me sounds like they're saying the eye belongs to a prehistoric, no?

Agreed.  That's a pretty solid hint.

Neosodon

Placerias? First thing that came to my mind. I'm hoping it's something Triassic. Also what is the one Triassic animal with the armor. I forgot the name but whatever it is I would like one of them too.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

alexeratops

Quote from: Neosodon on September 23, 2017, 06:45:39 AM
Placerias? First thing that came to my mind. I'm hoping it's something Triassic. Also what is the one Triassic animal with the armor. I forgot the name but whatever it is I would like one of them too.

Is it that one that's distantly related to alligators with two big shoulder spikes and armor all the way down its back? I also don't remember the name, but we can troubleshoot.
like a bantha!

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: alexeratops on September 23, 2017, 03:44:00 PM

Is it that one that's distantly related to alligators with two big shoulder spikes and armor all the way down its back? I also don't remember the name, but we can troubleshoot.

You mean Desmatosuchus? Schleich made one years ago, but its retired now. It would be nice to have a newer, more accurate figure of the species.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Jose S.M.

The new image on their Facebook teases the Mastodon. By the way now that they teased a harpy we can be more sure that the feathered arm we saw before it's a dinosaur right?

John

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on September 23, 2017, 04:16:44 PM
The new image on their Facebook teases the Mastodon. By the way now that they teased a harpy we can be more sure that the feathered arm we saw before it's a dinosaur right?
I've already seen the harpy in full and can tell you that the feathered arm did not belong to it. :)
But what dinosaur it does come from exactly,I do not know...
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Neosodon

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on September 23, 2017, 03:51:51 PM

You mean Desmatosuchus? Schleich made one years ago, but its retired now. It would be nice to have a newer, more accurate figure of the species.
Yes that's it!

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Takama

Fun fact, the model lasted only a YEAR in production before Schleich Axed it.

Reptilia

Not a great loss I'd say, looks like one of those assorted plastic chinasaurs you find in bags. Around the same time Papo produced the first wave of their prehistoric line, go figure.

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: Reptilia on September 23, 2017, 07:34:39 PM
Not a great loss I'd say, looks like one of those assorted plastic chinasaurs you find in bags. Around the same time Papo produced the first wave of their prehistoric line, go figure.

A somewhat unfair dismissal I think. Personally I love that figure and it's simple aesthetic, and I wish Schleich had done more triassic animals in the same vein during that era of their output.

Nevertheless, I'd devour any more up to date Triassic animals from Safari, as it seems most here would.

tanystropheus

Schleich should consider revisiting their Desmatosuchus, especially with their new revamped style. The Schleich Desmato looks cute but it is way too simple looking for my collection. It would look out of place. However, I would imagine that it would make for a decent diorama prop.

I find it interesting that Tyco made a Placerias but most dinosaur companies have not. It would make a great fit for WS. Also, why does Edaphosaurus get snubbed? Yes, I am aware of the Bullyland version, but we need something with more finessed texture work and paint job.

terrorchicken

if we're talking Triassic/Permian animals I'd like either placerias(I missed out on the really cheap chinasaur version when it was available on ED) estemmenosuchus or moschops, or another gorgonopsid that's not dinogorgon. I already have the Schleich desmatosuchus and Bullyland edaphoaurus.

a rhynchosaur would be cool too...

Shonisaurus

The fauna of the Triassic has been for many years a part of the prehistory very forgotten next to the fauna of the Paleozoic era within the companies of toy dinosaurs.

Dinosaur toy companies and prehistoric animals should fill that gap. If it is true that it is an animal of that period referred to by the Safari brand in its riddles will be in my case welcome.  :)

alexeratops

Yup, that's the one.

Could someone post the picture from their Facebook teasing the Mastodon? I can't get into facebook.
like a bantha!

X

It's nice to know the hints for additions for 2018 aren't over. It gives me comfort in the fact that we may see more, because so far we've got a really small group. Or I dunno, maybe I'm doing this wrong. Maybe they don't hint at all of their figures, which I wouldn't know of, since I joined too late to.

Jose S.M.

Quote from: alexeratops on September 24, 2017, 05:00:14 AM

Could someone post the picture from their Facebook teasing the Mastodon? I can't get into facebook.

Here are the latest two:

Faelrin

My guess for the bluish white furred foot belongs to a Yeti. I have no idea for the others though.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

To me the snout in the last one looks like a capybara, or possibly a wombat. The wing, who knows, but probably nothing prehistoric. Hawk or eagle maybe.

The mystery eye from Friday, I'm not sure why, but all I can think of when I see it is Estemmenosuchus. It might just be wishful thinking because I've wanted a good one forever (even when I was a little kid). I can see how you could get babirusa from it, but given Safari's hint, it doesn't sound like that's it. I don't think any of the teaser images has shown the babirusa yet.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DinoToyForum

I quite like how Safari Ltd are teasing us. The only downside is that it messes up the 'new for...' section of the forum by generating speculation, while the 'speculation' threads themselves are messed up by leaks. Never mind!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: