News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd.: New for 2018

Started by Patrx, August 25, 2017, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravonium

So far, here are my opinions on some of the figures revealed so far:

American Mastodon: Good figure. I have no significant criticisms of it.

Daeodon: Not bad, but I don't see how it is any better or worse than the Collecta Daeodon.

Musk Ox: Well, there's finally, after years, a musk ox on the market. Ever since Schleich retired their Musk Ox, this was a figure that was needed.

Leopard Seal: Looks much better than that detailed but shrink wrapped model that Collecta released this year.

Vaquita: Good figure for a very rare, nearly extinct species.

Porcupine: Yes it could be better, but there is nothing abominable about it. I get that it is hard to replicate spines on a mass produced model.

I'll make another post like this once the other figures are revealed.

Volgadraco

Quote from: Vidusaurus on October 05, 2017, 12:01:17 PM
So far we know about:
Mastodon
Daeodon
Ankylosaurus
Hyaenodon?
Orange Sauropod (likely some kind of titanosaur, possibly Alamosaurus)
Winged Theropod (probably a deinonychosaur but maybe an oviraptorosaur?)
Centrosaurine (most likely Styracosaurus)

Why do you think, that there's might be new Hyaenodon figurine?

Irritation

Quote from: Volgadraco on October 07, 2017, 05:04:38 PM
So far we know about:
Mastodon
Daeodon
Ankylosaurus
Hyaenodon?

Because in the teaser video, there is a picture of a mammal-like creature that looks brown with black stripes. The picture was blurry but the animal resembles a Hyaenodon.

Daspletotyrannus

Quote from: Volgadraco on October 07, 2017, 05:04:38 PM
So far we know about:
Mastodon
Daeodon
Ankylosaurus
Hyaenodon?

Look at the first YouTube video they posted for the 2018 models. When it gets to Asia  and they  start showing pictures there  is one that looks like a Hyaenodon. It looks like it just walked off of Walking with Prehistoric Beast.

https://youtu.be/-c_pEGxIEEI

Shadowknight1

Could the winged dinosaur be a Utahraptor based on the new skeletal findings?
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Jose S.M.

I re-watched the video just now and the winged thing in Europe is definately the Harpy, so the winged dinosaur was teased only on their facebook. Also the Daeodon we knew it was coming because of the leaks, but I think it wasn't teased on this video or facebook, so like the Ankylosaurus I think there are more figures that haven't been teased at all.

Faelrin

I sure hope there's more, especially since I'm curious to see what kinds of theropods they might be doing, aside from the obvious winged one. I honestly hope they'll redo the now retired Carnegie Cryolophosaurus and Carnotaurus, as well as an updated Allosaurus, Dilophosaurus, and Spinosaurus at some point, although there's plenty others they could redo, aside from making new genera too. I would like to see an updated Dimetrodon too. That's usually the obligatory Permian beast offered alongside dinosaurs, etc.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Daspletotyrannus

Quote from: Faelrin on October 07, 2017, 09:33:08 PM
I sure hope there's more, especially since I'm curious to see what kinds of theropods they might be doing, aside from the obvious winged one. I honestly hope they'll redo the now retired Carnegie Cryolophosaurus and Carnotaurus, as well as an updated Allosaurus, Dilophosaurus, and Spinosaurus at some point, although there's plenty others they could redo, aside from making new genera too. I would like to see an updated Dimetrodon too. That's usually the obligatory Permian beast offered alongside dinosaurs, etc.

If they ever make a new Dimetrodon they also need to have an Edaphosaurus to go with it.

Shonisaurus

For my part both the daeodon and the mammoth americanum seem to me exceptionally good figures are as good as those of companies like Collecta of which I am a faithful collector.

As far as the vaquita (I did not know that it was practically extinguished unfortunately). But as long as there is such a species there is hope. I'm not going to buy it for now.

As for the biblical leviathan and behemoth of Safari they are still remains of prehistoric animals that were discovered in Biblical times and that terrified the contemporaries of that time. It is assumed in regard to behemoth (leaving aside creationist follies) that it was a sauropod (or rather a sauropod remains) that should have impressed the peoples of that time. The same thing in relation to the Leviathan must have been the remains of a reptile or prehistoric marine animal.

Anyway, although I like a lot of prehistoric and extinct animals that are not dinosaurs, I would like to see new dinosaur figures (which are the star animals of any collector).

I am also a supporter of Safari's pre-historic dinosauri or other animal reprints, but I would like you to make new and unpublished species this year like deinocheirus and einiosaurus last year for putting two examples.  :)

Reptilia

What's that winged theropod thing people's talking about? I can only spot Hyaenodon and Mastodon in the video.

Jose S.M.

The feathered thing on the video is the harpy, when the video came out people speculated if it was something mythical or a theropod, I'm now pretty sure that thing was the harpy. On the teaser images on Facebook there was a feathered arm and some people thought that it could be a mythical being or a theropod. Since the harpy was revealed it's most likely a theropod.

Reptilia

Ok, seen it. Agree with the Gigantoraptor guess.

Loon

There's been a lot of dissection in regards to this video:
https://youtu.be/-c_pEGxIEEI
So, I figured I'd go through and screenshot each one of Bernie's photos and try to find out which animals were shown.

Africa:

Pygmy Hippo - Revealed

African Hawk Eagle?

African Scorpion (Hottentotta polystictus?)

Asia:

Zebu

Siamese Cat

Puff Dragon - Revealed

Babirusa (North Sulawesi babirusa?)

Hyaenadon (H. gigas?)

Australia:

Whales TOOB - Revealed

Painted Frogfish?

Kangaroo with Joey - Revealed

Europe:

Gnome Family Designer TOOB - Revealed

Harpy - Revealed

Pinto Horse?

Sheep - Revealed & Black Welsh Mountain Sheep

Boxer - Revealed

South America:

Alien Dragon - Revealed

Blue Whale?

Jaguar

North America:

Leviathan - Revealed

Spiny Lobster?

Zombies Super TOOB - Revealed

Long Eared Owl?

Woodchuck a.k.a. Ground Hog a.k.a. Marmot (Marmot monax)?

Muskox - Revealed

American Mastodon - Revealed

American Desert Hare - Revealed

Please, leave some suggestions in case I messed up on an animal's identity.

Also, here is the Safari Ltd. website's "New Toys" page, with a few figures not teased in this video:
https://www.safariltd.com/new-dragon-animal-dinosaur-toys/

Ravonium

Quote from: Loon on October 08, 2017, 11:04:54 AM
Bright Orange Breaksea Cod or Red Rock Cod?

I think the animal in the picture is actually a frogfish.

Reptilia

Thanks for the recap Loon, I couldn't make out most of them.

Faelrin

@Loon Thanks for all that. That was extremely helpful. I think the owl could be a Barn Owl since I'm seeing white there, but will have to wait to know. Although they also already have a Barn Owl figure, unless this ends up being an XL figure.

That aside, no non-avian dinosaurs there. I hope there's some more to come, aside from the ones previewed on the FB page, if the leaked Ankylosaurus is anything to go by. They didn't show the Daeodon either in the FB previews did they?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

bmathison1972

The fuzzy Polaroid doesn't look like the Vaquita to me; that means there might be another cetacean. The crustacean is probably a spiny lobster, not a typical American lobster. Also, I fear the scorpion will be too generic. Actually, what I really fear is it will simply be a repaint of the old Hidden Kingdom one. Let's hope not...

Additionally the owl seems to have ears so may not be a barred owl, and the upright rodent is probably a marmot, not a prairie dog.

stargatedalek

That photo is of the blue whale we also saw a teaser of, not the vaquita.

Mononykus

Quote from: Loon on October 08, 2017, 11:04:54 AM

Alaska Marmot?

It finally clicked for me what the upright rodent reminded me of: the gopher from Caddyshack

Loon

Thanks everyone for the help, the list has been updated. I did a bit of further research on the suggestions and hope I'm a little closer than before.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: