News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd.: New for 2018

Started by Patrx, August 25, 2017, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I think people might be getting tripped up by the fact that Dreadnaughtus is the largest titanosaur known from a relatively complete single specimen. All that's missing is the neck and head, mostly. If memory serves me, to find a titanosaur that is equally well (or better) represented as Dreadnaughtus, you have to go down in size until you get to Saltasaurus.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on October 16, 2017, 09:25:45 PM
I think people might be getting tripped up by the fact that Dreadnaughtus is the largest titanosaur known from a relatively complete single specimen. All that's missing is the neck and head, mostly. If memory serves me, to find a titanosaur that is equally well (or better) represented as Dreadnaughtus, you have to go down in size until you get to Saltasaurus.

How would they go about recreating the Dreadnaughtus in toy forum? Dreadnaughtus body with Saltasaurus head? Do all titanosaurs generally have the same skull attributes?

Sim

From what I've read, I get the impression most of Saltasaurus' head isn't known.

Archosauria

Maybe Saltasaurus didn't have a head! :O
"Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the earth, but they are alive and well in our imaginations"

-Steve Miller

Irritation

Shonisaurus

I expect it to be a large titanosaur such as argentinosaurus, ultrasaurus or supersaurus not a small one like rapetosaurus or saltasaurus to scale with brachiosaurus and diplodocus of the same brand. It would be great.  :)

tanystropheus

Archosauria

"Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the earth, but they are alive and well in our imaginations"

-Steve Miller

Sim

Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 17, 2017, 03:33:27 PM
I expect it to be a large titanosaur such as argentinosaurus, ultrasaurus or supersaurus not a small one like rapetosaurus or saltasaurus to scale with brachiosaurus and diplodocus of the same brand. It would be great.  :)

Supersaurus isn't a titanosaur, it's a diplodocoid.  Ultrasaurus is an invalid genus, and it's the name given to a "small" sauropod.  Ultrasauros (note the "o" at the end of the name) was a chimera based on remains of Supersaurus and Brachiosaurus, although since the name is based on a Supersaurus bone it's now just an invalid junior synonym of Supersaurus.  The appearance of Argentinosaurus is unknown, so it would be a poor choice to make into a figure.

Vidusaurus

I'm pretty sold on the idea of one of the new sauropods being Camarasaurus, so I doubt that the other would be Malawisaurus as has been suggested, as they look too similar, especially in the skull. It'll probably end up being Argentinosaurus or Dreadnoughtus, but I wouldn't put it past Safari to pull something completely left-field like Wintonotitan or Andesaurus.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Archosauria on October 17, 2017, 11:31:22 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on October 17, 2017, 07:57:11 PM
Quote from: Archosauria on October 17, 2017, 04:37:56 AM

Occam's razor?  :)

Precisely!

I like that idea. A big gaping neck hole just wandering around gathering whatever falls in. That should be sufficient to sustain a small sauropod.

On another note, there's enough boring old extant animals and fantasy creatures that at this rate there won't be any more reveals until Monday. I'll bet anything it will just be the Ankylosaurus. This is getting to be excruciating.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faelrin

I'm really hoping we'll get to see some dinosaurs come Monday. I'm starting to wonder if this year will have fewer figures then last/this year, which is not completely a bad thing, since last/this year did have quite a number, but still. At this rate we might even see new Papo or CollectA figures before Safari LTD is done revealing theirs.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

tanystropheus

Quote from: Faelrin on October 18, 2017, 03:27:06 AM
.. At this rate we might even see new Papo or CollectA figures before Safari LTD is done revealing theirs.

We might, but Safari LTD products will be available much sooner for purchase.

Reptilia

Collecta should start unveiling figures in a few days, hopefully early november, can't wait to see what they're going to unleash next year. Meanwhile yes, Safari could at least show us a dinosaur, it's becoming pretty boring by now.

Archosauria

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 18, 2017, 02:26:01 AM
Quote from: Archosauria on October 17, 2017, 11:31:22 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on October 17, 2017, 07:57:11 PM
Quote from: Archosauria on October 17, 2017, 04:37:56 AM

Occam's razor?  :)

Precisely!

I like that idea. A big gaping neck hole just wandering around gathering whatever falls in. That should be sufficient to sustain a small sauropod.

I think it's a very logical theory.

-Steve Miller

Faelrin

Quote from: tanystropheus on October 18, 2017, 04:26:48 AM
.. At this rate we might even see new Papo or CollectA figures before Safari LTD is done revealing theirs.

That is true, but I'll probably be holding off on any of the 2018 releases until they've all been revealed so I can buy most (or all) of the ones I want together.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Takama

Quote from: Sim on October 18, 2017, 12:01:28 AM

Supersaurus isn't a titanosaur, it's a diplodocoid.  Ultrasaurus is an invalid genus, and it's the name given to a "small" sauropod.  Ultrasauros (note the "o" at the end of the name) was a chimera based on remains of Supersaurus and Brachiosaurus, although since the name is based on a Supersaurus bone it's now just an invalid junior synonym of Supersaurus.  The appearance of Argentinosaurus is unknown, so it would be a poor choice to make into a figure.

Thank you for saying it.

I honestly think the titanosaur is malawisaurus since it at least has a skull.  But for some reason everyone assumes its the biggest species out there.

John

Quote from: Takama on October 18, 2017, 05:44:29 PM
Quote from: Sim on October 18, 2017, 12:01:28 AM

Thank you for saying it.

I honestly think the titanosaur is malawisaurus since it at least has a skull.  But for some reason everyone assumes its the biggest species out there.
Here's something to make your head explode:what if the model was only labeled as "big dinosaur" when revealed?  >:D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Faelrin on October 18, 2017, 03:20:06 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on October 18, 2017, 04:26:48 AM

That is true, but I'll probably be holding off on any of the 2018 releases until they've all been revealed so I can buy most (or all) of the ones I want together.

Honestly and with that I do not want to offend anyone we are all members of the forum regarding Safari very badly accustomed, why they are taking in the revelations of the new figures 2018.

My opinion is that dinosaur companies to avoid commercial and industrial piracy should reveal dinosaur novelties only earlier this year.

Archosauria

I always thought it was funny how Safari tends to release the next years line the year before.

I mean, it's the 2018 collection and most of, if not all, the models are being released in 2017.

Just seems amusing to me.

However, it is a good thing because we don't have to wait until 2018 to get our hands on the new figures.
Despite, you know, them being the 2018 line.

-Steve Miller

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: