News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd.: New for 2018

Started by Patrx, August 25, 2017, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

Good thing I kept the plastic tray of the tyrannosaurus rex feathered on my shelves Thanks to it my figure has no sustainability problems.

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on October 25, 2017, 01:16:08 PM
You know what would really make me happy?

A rerelease of the 2017 T. rex mounted on a sturdy base. I've been experiencing a great deal of frustration lately with getting mine to remain standing up. :(

What if they rerelease it with a sturdy base sans feathers?

Pachyrhinosaurus

My 2018 Safaris came in today and I can say I'm impressed with all four!

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=16.msg182589#msg182589

The Amargasaurus in particular I had my doubts about but having it in-person I really like it. It feels a lot like the Carnegie apatosaurus which would make sense seeing as they're basically the same size. The skull pattern is only painted on and the fenestrae aren't as obvious as they look in the pictures. My only complaint is that they have a few paint scuffs but I've seen worse.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on October 26, 2017, 09:25:13 PM

The Amargasaurus in particular I had my doubts about but having it in-person I really like it. It feels a lot like the Carnegie apatosaurus which would make sense seeing as they're basically the same size. The skull pattern is only painted on and the fenestrae aren't as obvious as they look in the pictures. My only complaint is that they have a few paint scuffs but I've seen worse.

I understand your opinion but I think we must admit that better than the amargasaurus Papo regardless of any comparison is hateful and within the respect and affection that I have both companies.

Reptilia

That Anzu is very, very nice indeed. I think it represents a step forward for Safari, in relation to their standards. Not a fan of the Mastodon, but looks fine for what it is. The Daeodon on the other hand I'm sure could have been rendered with much finer detail, we'll see the difference when Doug Watson will show the original sculpt. The Amargasaurus looks extremely goofy to me, especially the head, and the spines look so rubbery and unrealistic. The colour scheme doesn't help too, it seemed way better in the stock photos.

John

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on October 26, 2017, 09:25:13 PM

Congrats on getting these four so early. :)
The Amargasaurus is a damn fine model.One of the best I've seen yet of that species. 8)
As for me,though it's very hard not to just order right this minute...I still want to see what else is in store.I know of three more to come,(Ankylosaurus,mystery titanosaurid,mystery ceratopsian...)Who knows what else may turn up unexpectedly?
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Shonisaurus

Today I guess we'll know something is Friday. That day reveal more news of Safari, so has happened with Safari every Friday preceding this year apart from leaks like the ankylosaurus, daeodon and mastodon.  :)

I am hopeful that the best is yet to come from the Safari company.  >:D

Reptilia

The last reveal was past friday, and it came after two weeks from the previous, so unless they are accelerating I guess we'll have to wait another week to have more news.

Takama

Quote from: tanystropheus on October 25, 2017, 09:46:05 PM
Quote from: suspsy on October 25, 2017, 01:16:08 PM
You know what would really make me happy?

A rerelease of the 2017 T. rex mounted on a sturdy base. I've been experiencing a great deal of frustration lately with getting mine to remain standing up. :(

What if they rerelease it with a sturdy base sans feathers?

What if they Remade it at a Smaller size and then gave it a base >:D

Reptilia

Smaller size = even less detail, that's not desirable.

Jose S.M.

I want to see the ceratopsian, hopefully it will me included on the next group. The current group was revealed when 3 or 4 figures from the second weren't still posted on Facebook, so maybe they are speeding the group reveals but  spotlighting the figures individually at the same pace. Anyway, I think this Friday is too soon for the next.

Reptilia

Mastodon, Daeodon, Amargasaurus, Anzu, Ankylosaurus, Hyaenodon, titanosaur, ceratopsian, that mysterious eye possibly belonging to a permian creature... do you guys think there will be more?

Jose S.M.

To me it's weird they don't have a big or classic theropod teased. Safari has been releasing those theropods almost every year and since Daeodon wasn't teased in the video with blurry pics or the teaser images with body parts, there's a chance some figures weren't teased at all. If that's the case I'm betting on a big theropod, or a small one but scaly. Ankylosaurus wasn't teased at all too.

Reptilia

Among big classic theropods Allosaurus and Spinosaurus are two that Safari needs to put out, sooner or later. The WS Allosaurus shows its age, while Spinosaurus was one of the main features of the Carnegie line, so quite a candidate for a replacing. So maybe the nine above plus a big theropod, would bring the total to ten new figures.

tanystropheus

Since I am a fan of the Diplo, I will be picking up the Amarga for sure. I hope the next sauropod is also equally impressive and not a disappointment like the Shunosaurus.

John

Quote from: Reptilia on October 27, 2017, 12:15:20 AM
Mastodon, Daeodon, Amargasaurus, Anzu, Ankylosaurus, Hyaenodon, titanosaur, ceratopsian, that mysterious eye possibly belonging to a permian creature... do you guys think there will be more?
I have no idea how many there will be altogether,just that there will be at least 7 in the prehistoric line this time.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Takama

Quote from: John on October 27, 2017, 02:01:51 AM
I have no idea how many there will be altogether,just that there will be at least 7 in the prehistoric line this time.

So there back to the standard output.

I guess 2017 really was a Reboot of the line.

I take back my complaints.

John

Quote from: Takama on October 27, 2017, 02:04:01 AM
Quote from: John on October 27, 2017, 02:01:51 AM

So there back to the standard output.

I guess 2017 really was a Reboot of the line
Actually,yes 2017 was a reboot of the line.Think of the 12 inch or so long models and up (Feathered Tyrannosaurus,Giganotosaurus,Diplodocus and Kronosaurus) as the true replacements for the Carnegie Museum line. :)
This time around,the Amargasaurus continues that trend. :)

Takama

My asumption is that there is no Hyenadon. Since there is only 7 models for this year

Think about it

Daeodon
Mastodon
Anzu
Amargasuarus
Mysterius Suropod that was shown in PT
And clearly a Ceratopsian horn in one of the teaser photos.
Therr is also an Armoured dinosaur in the Speculation Thread thats clearly Safari

Unless John made a Typo, i do not see an hyenadon happening

tanystropheus

Quote from: Reptilia on October 27, 2017, 12:41:57 AM
Among big classic theropods Allosaurus and Spinosaurus are two that Safari needs to put out, sooner or later. The WS Allosaurus shows its age, while Spinosaurus was one of the main features of the Carnegie line, so quite a candidate for a replacing. So maybe the nine above plus a big theropod, would bring the total to ten new figures.

I totally agree. There are no Allosaurus in the market that are aesthetically palatable AND anatomically correct. Schleich and WS have some decent looking ones and the Todd Marshall/Brett Booth inspired Papo version is pretty to look at but is not instantly recognizable as an Allosaurus. And, the CollectA Saurophaganax has a gaudy color scheme and a rather exaggerated tail length. The REBOR Sarophaganax is MIA and will most likely be over textured.

Forest Roger's interpretation of Spinosaurs is gorgeous but needs an updated posture and a more vibrant color scheme. The Favorite Collection's recent Spinosaurus is out of scale with most dinosaur toys.

Big theropod? Albertosaurus is also a contender.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: