News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd.: New for 2018

Started by Patrx, August 25, 2017, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Well, that was unexpected! So that makes 13, right, not counting the GLM raptor? Pretty good number. Mammal fans must be ecstatic right now!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Roselaar

Safari has answered my question earlier today swiftly! Good line-up. I love the Malawisaurus and the Macrauchenia, I like the Hyaenodon and the Trike. Only the Dimetrodon doesn't excite me much. It's not as grand as the previous Carnegie model.

Loon

Well, our story has come to an end, and quite the climax it has reached. Where Papo has failed today, Safari stands tall. But yeah, that Triceratops....

Lanthanotus

Hmm, nice line up again from Safari.

I really like the pose of that Malawisaurus though the head looks a bit weird and that "aggressive" tiger/war paint seems rather unfitting for such a big creature.

Finally a Dimetrodon with an upright pose rather than sprawling. The sail looks not as attractive, but hey, you cannot get everything.

And that Macrauchenia..... fine to have another one, I think I like the Schleich better, but I'll wait to see it in comparison, maybe it makes a nice pair.

Ravonium

My opinions on these figures:

Dimetrodon: This figure isn't severely inaccurate at the moment. The sail spikes are at a fairly correct length and the figure is bordering on walking upright. I do, however, prefer the colour scheme and paint job on the less accurate Papo model.

Hyaenodon: This figure is probably tied with the Mastodon for the best mammal that they've released for the best mammal they've released so far. My only complaint is that the colour scheme could have been a bit more original.

Triceratops: Definitely not an awful figure, but there is nothing exceptional about this figure. Not saying there aren't worse Triceratops models. I find the colour scheme a bit uninteresting, and this is also the main problem I have with the Regaliceratops.

Malawisaurus: I like the pose, but that is the only exceptional thing about the figure. It is a good first figure for this genus and I think it looks more realistic than the Carnegie Saltasaurus.

Macrauchenia: My opinion on this figure is quite similar to that on the Hyaenodon, except that I wouldn't rate it as highly  as the Hyaenodon as the paint app on the head looks a bit sloppy.

Takama

I WAS RIGHT ABOUT THE TITANOSAUR BEING MALAWISAURUS!!!!!!!! :o

Faelrin

I find it interesting that three of the revealed releases for 2018, are Hell Creek animals (I suppose that's partly due to many of them being among the most popular dinosaurs). They are going to be nice companions to the 2017 Feathered Tyrannosaurus.

Also odd is that the Anzu is really the only theropod for the year so far from Safari, if the only one at all. They might have had to take the back seat for once with all the synapsids made for this year (not that that's a bad thing by any means).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

PumperKrickel

deleted

Patrx

Oh, excellent, a Doug Watson Triceratops! Definitely an upgrade from the previous WS Trike. The rest of these new reveals are pretty cool, too, I like the details on the Hyaenodon's fur, the titanosaur looks fascinating, and I'm really curious to see how that new Dimetrodon looks in person.

AcroSauroTaurus

My opinions.

Hyaenodon: Has almost the same pose and coloration as all other Hyaenodon figures, but its not bad.

Macrauchenia: Really nice sculpt, best Macrau figure out there.

Dimetrodon: Pretty disappointed with this one, lacks the hump at the lower part of the sail and the tips aren't exposed enough,(but only a little bit too covered)the posture is off and the biggest problem is the scales... Although the figure was made before the appearance change, it should at least not have scales.

Triceratops: A big improvement over the old one, and I'm surprised that we get two ceratopsians this year.(although, I'm not complaining. ;) )

Malawisaurus: I love the sculpt and paint job, Probably my favorite of the new figures.
I am the Dinosaur King!

stargatedalek

So not many new toobs this year but boy have the GLM figures redeemed themselves!

And that giant spiny lobster, that's gotta be close to life size if not. Even bigger than the giant AAA one.

PhilSauria

Another five from Safari, without much fanfare! Like the new Triceratops, on par with Safari's current Ceratopsians and seems about the same size as the one it will be replacing. This one and the Schleich will be joining my herd next year. The new Macrauchenia should display well the the old Schleich figure (still the best IMHO). Hyaenodon is about twice the size of the Mojo and I like the colour scheme, the Mojo being a tad plain by comparison. Dimetrodon's on the list as well. I like large figures of Sauropods, but that hasn't stopped me picking up well made smaller ones in the past, so a bit disappointed in the size. Impresses me much more than the Armarg but I can see a repaint coming on. Plenty to process on checking in this morning what with new figures from both Papo and Safari to run the eyes over. Time to start saving and work out where to display all of these! (looks at cabinet and scratches head)

Minmiminime

Ooh, I may have to collect some of these mammals...and most of this year's dinosaurs are a must! Especially both sauropods. The colours may not be realistic, but they certainly make them striking
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Jose S.M.

I wasn't expect this at all!

Im definately getting the Trike, the sculpt is great as all the other Safari ceratopsians and will fit better than the now outdated one with all of the heard, the color squeme is quite subdued but I don't pay attention to that very much, I love it.

The Malawisaurus looks nice, but I'm not really fond of the white head, everything else I like.

Dimetrodon looks like a great sculpt, but the color on the sail could be better, still like a said the scupt looks great.

I don't collect mammals but safari is tempting me so much, this last ones I really like them, Hyaenodon looks bulky and menacing and Macrauchenia looks very elegant.

tyrantqueen

Am I imagining things or wasn't Dimetrodon supposed to not have scales?

Shonisaurus

Corcholis! (I apologize for the expression) They are exceptionally good figures and very nice! Very cool! From my point of view leaves Papo at the height of shame. It is my favorite company.

Safari triceratops It's the best triceratops I've ever seen! It even exceeds the PNSO that was my favorite. Very well finished and with a beautiful texture. Very nice  8)

On the other hand the malawisaurus is a very beautiful figure but that with a lot of war paint, but it is a success that the Safari company makes the first figure of an unknown dinosaur in the toy market and most importantly with a decent size for Being a medium-sized sauropod, I am sincerely a lover of unknown prehistoric animals in the toy market.  :D

The macrauchenia was another dark figure in the toy market after the short debut of Schleich and is a better substantial of that figure seems much more realistic based on Walking with Beast. It is a cool figure and most importantly I say the same thing with respect to the malawisaurus I like this company more and more as it makes figures that are practically unknown in the toy market as is that great mammal.  :)

As far as dimetrodon is concerned, I can only call it beauty! I do not understand the hatred that some members of the forum have for this figure, for me it is the best that has been done in the market far exceeding that of Carnegie (with pardon for another of my most beloved dinosaur companies). Scientifically it is a pelicosaurus for the photographs that I see by wikipedia is from my exact point of view that perhaps they should be the tallest and fleshy fin? (I do not understand paleontology). It may be but I like its avant-garde colors and above all I delighted in its detail to the millimeter. He is a great figure.  :P  :)

The hyaenodon leaves in shame (with forgiveness) the other toy companies that treated that figure. It is scary and realistic. I understand that Safari is putting Collecta in serious trouble when it comes to the competition of prehistoric mammals.

I testify that I physically have the Daeodon Safari and surpasses in beauty and scientific precision the brand Collecta independently that both are two great figures and not to offend the other brand that is also my favorite and the mastodon americanum sincerely comes out how well done he is.

This year has been by far the best for Safari and the most important thing that has raised the bar thankfully and I value that much Doug Watson and the rest of the Safari team should be proud of their paleoartísticas works and I'm really excited about these new revealed figures of Safari.  :)

terrorchicken

I thought dimetrodon was supposed to stand even more upright the that but I'm not a dimetro expert. Its nice, I dont know if Ill get it if its the same size as the Carnegie though, which I have(they're doing a nice steady job of replacing those Carnegies.)

the sauropod looks good too but boy he looks grumpy! I like the triceratops and the hyenodon too(would have preferred another less represented in figure form carnivore, but ok), the standout for me though is the new  macrauchenia!!! what an elegant creature! A must have for me and I already have the chunkier Schleich version.

btw disappointment that we got no new toobs. The new whale toob is pretty cool though. :(

Shonisaurus

By the way, I'd like to know which of those thirteen beauties have been made by Doug Watson. I would be interested to know.

I know that the daeodon and mastodon were made by Doug Watson but I would like to know if he is involved in any other figure.

Doug Watson

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on November 13, 2017, 08:28:39 PM
My opinions.
Dimetrodon: Pretty disappointed with this one, lacks the hump at the lower part of the sail and the tips aren't exposed enough,(but only a little bit too covered)the posture is off and the biggest problem is the scales... Although the figure was made before the appearance change, it should at least not have scales.

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 13, 2017, 09:47:37 PM
Am I imagining things or wasn't Dimetrodon supposed to not have scales?

When sculpting this piece along with accessing the latest papers on dimetrodon I consulted with Dr. Robert Reisz a leading expert on synapsids. He is also the one who has recently brought forward the theory that dinosaurs like Tyrannosaurus had lips.
That is why my Dimetrodon has lips. The skeletal is based on Scott Hartman's latest interpretation and the posture is a semi high walk. For the external look I mostly used a recent interpretation supervised by Dr. Reisz the main difference being he brings the sail to the tips of the spines.
As for the skin I raised the question with Dr. Reisz that some feel it should be smooth based on other skin fossils of animals like Estemmenosuchus. As you should know there are no known integument fossils of any dimetrodon.
This was Dr. Reisz's answer to me: "AGAIN, I AGREE WITH THAT INTERPRETATION (scales). THAT IS THE DEFAULT RECONSTRUCTION IN THE ABSENCE OF ANY DIRECT EVIDENCE. THE INTERPRETATIONS OF ESTEMMENOSUCHUS ARE NOT RELEVANT TO DIMETRODON, SINCE PHYSIOLOGICALLY THEY ARE QUITE DIFFERENT, DIMETRODON BEING MORE LIKE A REPTILE, AND ESTEMMENOSUCHUS BEING MORE LIKE A MAMMAL."
Sorry for the all caps but that is how he answered me and I don't think he was yelling at the time.

Shonisaurus

Doug apart from that beauty (the dimetrodon) and I'm glad you were the one who did it, it seems to me in my paleontological ignorance the best pelicosaur made so far and not only because it's you but because I like all the figures of Safari this year, which for me has been the best.

I would like to know which of these prehistoric creatures have been sculpted apart from the dimetrodon, daeodon and mastodon. For me, they are thirteen paleo-sculpture works destined more to collectors by far.  :)  8)

I am in love with all Safari figures this year and they are honestly even better than the ones from the previous year, regardless of the fact that they are other paleoart works in PVC version.

What I really appreciate Safari who has not been carried away by the fashion of creating figures of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals both herbivores and carnivores with jaws or articulated body parts, and I say this with all due respect for all supporters of that technique, whose figures as a collector that I am also have on my shelves. But sincerely worth more dinosaurs and prehistoric animals without parts of the body articulated as makes the Safari brand, for me another point in favor to be taken into account in a company of collectors figures and toys for children alike.  :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: