News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

My New Safari Rex needs nasal surgery or something.

Started by PaleoMatt, August 31, 2017, 12:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaleoMatt

So yesterday I got my new Wild Safari 2017 T. rex. A beautiful figure but one thing is wrong....

As you can see the nostrils are different as one of them looks almost non existant. I don't know if this is a sculpting error and it wasn't sculpted deep enough or it's missing the dark paint as it still has that slimy glossy paint on it but it just doesn't look like a nostril at all and from a far it looks like my figure only has 1 nostril and it makes me quite sad.  I'm wondering if there is anyway I can modify my figure to make the nostril look correct. Please help and if you have any questions please ask!

suspsy

Looks like it's just missing a paint app. Unfortunate, but it happens sometimes.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

stargatedalek

Just put a drop of paint on it, and if it doesn't match than paint both. You could even try a marker for something like that.

Doug Watson

Yours is missing the paint in the right nostril. There is also a positive air bubble in there. If you aren't comfortable painting it yourself I would suggest trying to exchange it where you bought it.

Here is my original head

This is my production sample that shows how it should be.

PaleoMatt

Thanks Guys. By the way Doug, do you think painting it would still make it look different due to the air bubble?

Doug Watson

Quote from: PaleoMatt on August 31, 2017, 06:21:24 PM
Thanks Guys. By the way Doug, do you think painting it would still make it look different due to the air bubble?

My production sample actually has the air bubble too, must be in the mould so if you were to get some gloss black acrylic and dob some in it would improve it. You don't really notice it once it is painted unless you really zoom in. If you have a Dremel you could use a fine bit and grind it out first.  Did you order it from Everything Dinosaur in the UK, he is on here as a member so I am sure he would probably want to make it right.

Doug Watson

P.S. Sorry about this by the way. Most of my samples are pretty good but sometimes one slips through.

Jose S.M.

Mine has shallow nostrils, probably air bubbles as well??, but one (the one is unpainted in yours) it's painted in dark grey and the other one too, but has a splash of white, from the teeth i guess. I'm probably going to paint it, it's something small so I don't think I would screw it up.

PaleoMatt

Quote from: Doug Watson on August 31, 2017, 06:30:16 PM
Quote from: PaleoMatt on August 31, 2017, 06:21:24 PM

My production sample actually has the air bubble too, must be in the mould so if you were to get some gloss black acrylic and dob some in it would improve it. You don't really notice it once it is painted unless you really zoom in. If you have a Dremel you could use a fine bit and grind it out first.  Did you order it from Everything Dinosaur in the UK, he is on here as a member so I am sure he would probably want to make it right.
Yea it was from Everything Dinosaur and I was talking to some other people on a Discord server I am on and I met someone else with the same issue as me. You must be right about the air bubble being in the mould.

Minmiminime

Ah, that's bad luck! I returned my first purchase of this figure to ED, as it had a fault; the entire left maxilla looked as though it had been pulled out, it was totally displaced!! It must have been a factory mishap...looks like this figure might be prone to odd little manufacturing faults! The replacement is perfect, though ^-^
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

suspsy

Quote from: Doug Watson on August 31, 2017, 06:08:53 PM
Yours is missing the paint in the right nostril. There is also a positive air bubble in there. If you aren't comfortable painting it yourself I would suggest trying to exchange it where you bought it.

Here is my original head

This is my production sample that shows how it should be.

Been meaning to ask, Doug: why the huge difference in dentition between your prototype and the production version? Safety concerns?

Doug Watson

Quote from: suspsy on September 01, 2017, 03:58:48 AM
Been meaning to ask, Doug: why the huge difference in dentition between your prototype and the production version? Safety concerns?

The factory has a penetration test that each piece has to meet in order to get the 3 + year safety rating. I guess these didn't meet the test.

suspsy

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 01, 2017, 07:45:35 AM

The factory has a penetration test that each piece has to meet in order to get the 3 + year safety rating. I guess these didn't meet the test.

That's a shame; your prototype looks so damn superior. What exactly does a penetration test involve? I assume we're talking the potential to penetrate the skin on a child's finger?

Doug Watson

Quote from: suspsy on September 01, 2017, 08:19:00 AM

That's a shame; your prototype looks so damn superior. What exactly does a penetration test involve? I assume we're talking the potential to penetrate the skin on a child's finger?

From what I understand their main concern is a child's eyes. They have a tool that the point cannot penetrate, if it does they thicken it up.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 01, 2017, 03:53:21 PM
Quote from: suspsy on September 01, 2017, 08:19:00 AM

From what I understand their main concern is a child's eyes. They have a tool that the point cannot penetrate, if it does they thicken it up.

Interesting info, I always wondered about that myself. I find it odd that companies will blunt a teeth on a small figure, which would be very difficult to injure yourself with when compared to the tails, horns, spikes, etch that one sees in many other figures.

stargatedalek

Frankly the whole idea is silly, a large blunt long object is going to do far more damage to someones eye than a number of small short sharp ones. Choking hazards are one thing, but if a child is actually beating people with their toys safety standards aren't going to help prevent anyone from being injured.

suspsy

Given how solid and heavy the T. rex is, it's far more dangerous as a bludgeon than a potential stabbing with the teeth.

Doug Watson

Quote from: suspsy on September 02, 2017, 10:09:30 AM
Given how solid and heavy the T. rex is, it's far more dangerous as a bludgeon than a potential stabbing with the teeth.
Quote from: stargatedalek on September 02, 2017, 05:09:20 AM
Frankly the whole idea is silly, a large blunt long object is going to do far more damage to someones eye than a number of small short sharp ones. Choking hazards are one thing, but if a child is actually beating people with their toys safety standards aren't going to help prevent anyone from being injured.

This thread is now off topic but again these are rated 3 +, the concern isn't with them bludgeoning someone else they just don't want any unnecessarily sharp parts that could hurt the young handler. They not only blunt my teeth they also blunt spikes and claws. Any toy with some weight could be turned into a bludgeon. It is easy to say it is silly and no one is more frustrated than I but in today's litigation happy world you will not have to pay for the lawsuits, plus no responsible toy maker wants to cause injury to a child especially a family oriented company like Safari Ltd. Don't forget there are far more sales to parents of children than to collectors.

Doug Watson

P.S. I just had a thought, one good thing about them "adding" material to teeth, claws, spikes, etc. If it can be added it can be removed so if you are a half decent model maker you could doctor them to be more realistic and less of a toy. I know that isn't for everyone but it is an option for some and that ties back to the nostril issue.

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 02, 2017, 08:36:05 PM
P.S. I just had a thought, one good thing about them "adding" material to teeth, claws, spikes, etc. If it can be added it can be removed so if you are a half decent model maker you could doctor them to be more realistic and less of a toy. I know that isn't for everyone but it is an option for some and that ties back to the nostril issue.

Well, it was not only an option, but an requirement for me, I did that the day the figure arrived.

I guessed the original models weren't that blunted (seeing your other original sculpts in the other thread), the stubby claws on the Psittacosaurus are a special pain in my opinion. Is this a somewhat special requirement for Safari as it is an US based company? Because Papo or CollectA models (which I guess are also sold in the US) seem to have much "sharper" detailing in this regard?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: