News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari LTD and Hurricane Irma

Started by Faelrin, September 10, 2017, 11:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

So I was on the Safari website and something caught my eye. I see that due to the Hurricane, shipping for orders may be delayed. I was planning on purchasing a bunch of figures at the end of this week but I'm wondering if I should just hold off for now. I was actually unaware their company was located in Florida. In any case though, I am now concerned for the safety of those down there working for Safari and their families and pets, since I heard this Hurricane was going to be pretty bad. Hope they can stay safe in this time. If anyone wants to rely this message to them, please feel free.

However that doesn't just go for anyone at Safari. That goes for the members here too. Stay safe y'all.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Neosodon

I wonder the hurricane will effect any of their other business since I don't think they would expect their employees to go to work during a hurricane.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Jose S.M.

If you mean production of the figures I think that's made in China so I don't think that it affects it, but if they storage them and ship them so that's what can be affected.

Halichoeres

When I've ordered from them they didn't ship from Florida anyway, they shipped from a store or warehouse (I don't quite recall) in Carbondale, Ill., a few hundred kilometers from me. I imagine they have arrangements like that all over the country. But the hq is in suburban Miami, and if the computers that process the orders go out, that could delay orders everywhere. Right now 35% of all electric customers in Florida are without power, so that might hold things up. That, and most of the Miami area has been under evacuation order, so if any human input is needed for orders to go out, there's some more potential for delay.

Honestly, I'm pretty impressed they're continuing to post teaser photos. Maybe those were scheduled in advance.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

BlueKrono

I have a large number of friends in Florida from when I lived there. They are all having a really rough night tonight. Do we have any Florida members here on the DTF?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Shonisaurus

For me the most important thing to save the most lives. It is more important any human life than all figures of plastic dinosaurs or anything else materiale. My solidarity with those people who are having a very bad time.

For my part I have a niece with her wife and three children who have had to go to a shelter (they lived in Miami) and all their belongings have lost them. The important thing is that none of my relatives have died. Human life is more important than any material good.

Neosodon

Quote from: Shonisaurus on September 11, 2017, 03:39:03 PM
For me the most important thing to save the most lives. It is more important any human life than all figures of plastic dinosaurs or anything else materiale. My solidarity with those people who are having a very bad time.

For my part I have a niece with her wife and three children who have had to go to a shelter (they lived in Miami) and all their belongings have lost them. The important thing is that none of my relatives have died. Human life is more important than any material good.
Yeah, fortunately there are no death tolls yet. Hope your relatives get through ok.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Faelrin

Sorry to hear that Shonisaurus. I know how hard it is to lose personal belongings, except not to this extant that a natural disaster causes. As you said, their lives are more important to those material things (no matter how precious or irreplaceable some of those may have been, like family pictures, etc). Here's to hoping they can hold out, and in time, recover from this disaster.

Shonisaurus

Thank you for your words of support. My relatives are Spaniards who have lived in Miami for years. Fortunately nothing has happened to them.  :)

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Shonisaurus on September 11, 2017, 10:20:07 PM
Thank you for your words of support. My relatives are Spaniards who have lived in Miami for years. Fortunately nothing has happened to them.  :)

That's good to hear, I'm so glad they are ok.

Reptilia

I understand that people's safety is the main concern when such things happen, but I'm always gutted by the general indifference of media for animals. At least here in Europe I never hear any concern for animals, unless they represent some economic value that goes lost.

BlueKrono

I read a good article about what happens to the animals in zoos during catastrophic natural disasters. They undertake heroic efforts to make sure the animals are safe and maintain proper diets throughout. Florida in particular seems to have excellent protocols in place. I was really impressed.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Jose S.M.

I read about a fairly large number of animals being evacuated to safe refuges, don't remember how many or the zoo or park they belong, but there was a video of a flock of flamingos being guided to a shelter. Also I saw a video of people trying to help two manatees that became stranded when the water was sucked by the hurricane, I don't know what happened but hope they were saved, I love manatees.

terrorchicken

well Im okay, was without power for a few days, and internet access for a couple days longer (just got back online yesterday)!

I know a couple people who still dont have power! :(

btw- another hurricane may come our way (not Jose, the one after that one) and for f*&$! sake! this time my mom wants to buy a generator b/c the heat without a/c here is unbearable!

Faelrin

Wishing you the best if it comes your way. I can only imagine how nerve wracking these storms can be.

terrorchicken

^thanks... and for everyone else living in hurricane target zones this year, hope you all stay safe!

Jose S.M.

It's good to know you are ok now, and I send my good wishes and hopes that it will be good again if the new gets to you.

Halichoeres

Wishing you all the best as Maria bears down on the Antilles and Florida.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

terrorchicken

looks like we may not be dealing with Maria but I feel awful for Puerto Rico and those other Caribbean islands(and Mexico). Please, enough this year Mother Nature!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.