News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reptilia

Both hideous, time for an updated version. They should actually remake all of their sauropods, I can't find a single one that's nice in their current range. I guess it will take some time, but they could at least start with the basic ones. Probably Amargasaurus wouldn't be a priority then.

dinosaurdungeon

Quote from: tanystropheus on October 24, 2017, 08:54:13 PM
Quote from: Reptilia on October 24, 2017, 08:47:52 PM
When I originally checked the link I mistook the PNSO Amargasaurus for the Papo's, then had a better look and realized that it was the PNSO one. What a let down.

It's super depressing. Even more depressing since we don't really know for sure if PNSO will release theirs.

Why doesn't the Papo Amargo look like this?:

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/n-yp39j5/ujq6o/products/685/images/965/carriereamarg2__53978.1384569453.500.750.jpg?c=2
that was my first sculpture turned resin model kit you shared in that link! Thanks for sharing! I don't recognize the website though.

tanystropheus

Quote from: drjre77 on October 25, 2017, 04:56:42 AM
When I originally checked the link I mistook the PNSO Amargasaurus for the Papo's, then had a better look and realized that it was the PNSO one. What a let down.

It's super depressing. Even more depressing since we don't really know for sure if PNSO will release theirs.

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/n-yp39j5/ujq6o/products/685/images/965/carriereamarg2__53978.1384569453.500.750.jpg?c=2
that was my first sculpture turned resin model kit you shared in that link! Thanks for sharing! I don't recognize the website though.

I love the sculpture/resin model. It's more Papo than Papo. You should send the picture to Papo as a suggestion. Perhaps, they might consider hiring you..?

Takama

Quote from: tanystropheus on October 25, 2017, 09:50:38 PM
Quote from: drjre77 on October 25, 2017, 04:56:42 AM

I love the sculpture/resin model. It's more Papo than Papo. You should send the picture to Papo as a suggestion. Perhaps, they might consider hiring you..?

DUDE he is the guy who was going to try to do that with Battat.  Only instead of his Amragasaurus, he was going to show them a Allosaurus

Reptilia

Battat lost a chance then, their Amargasaurus looks like one of those assorted chinasaurs you buy in plastic bags compared to that shown in the link above!

Gwangi

Quote from: Reptilia on October 25, 2017, 10:55:21 PM
Battat lost a chance then, their Amargasaurus looks like one of those assorted chinasaurs you buy in plastic bags compared to that shown in the link above!

Keep in mind that the Battat model is 21 years old.  ;)

Sim

Quote from: Reptilia on October 25, 2017, 10:55:21 PM

It's interesting that in Reply #75 you said people were exaggerating for disliking the Papo Polacanthus and Amargasaurus, but then you go and exaggerate here about the Battat Amargasaurus.  People in this thread have already expressed that they feel the Battat Amargasaurus is a good figure, so what are you trying to achieve by denigrating the figure repeatedly?  It is possible to express that you feel the figure isn't very good in ways that show respect for other people's opinions of the figure, and the fact that the figure is well-made, but I guess you're not interested in that.  You're just saying the figure is bad, without explaining why, and doing so in a way that shows a lack of tact.

suspsy

Indeed. I've yet to see Reptilia actually give an explanation for any of his derogatory comments about the Battat Amargasaurus.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on October 26, 2017, 01:17:08 AM
Indeed. I've yet to see Reptilia actually give an explanation for any of his derogatory comments about the Battat Amargasaurus.

Battat models are anatomically correct, but most of the paint applications leave much to be desired. Well, take a look at the first picture.

It's basically chocolate fudge layered over mocha sponge cake coupled with a creme brûlée underbelly (you can see some of the chocolate syrup pouring down the sides of the legs). It would fit snuggly in the local pastry section of the deli. No offense to Dan LoRusso, as he is not responsible for painting the model.

http://www.terrauniverse.com/dinosaurs/amargasaurus

Jose S.M.

I think one can say I don't like the paint job, or application, without being derogatory. Even if After all it's a matter of opinion, we have to accept that our opinion is individual and may be biased on some way, not and absolute truth.

ItsTwentyBelow

Hmm. The Papo Amargasaurus leaves a bit to be desired, mainly in the paint department I think. It is otherwise not too bad. Especially compared to the teenage mutant Spinosaurus that has also been revealed. I might pick up that Amarga if I saw it.

What's this about someone knocking the Battat Amargasaurus? Over twenty years later, that is actually still an excellent sculpt of the animal, if you like accuracy. One of the best. The fleshy sail reflects older ideas, but their Amarga is otherwise a good example of what makes Battat one of the higher quality companies. I own both paint versions, and I do think the colors on the original were a bit more believable.

Reptilia

Quote from: Sim on October 26, 2017, 12:42:32 AM
It's interesting that in Reply #75 you said people were exaggerating for disliking the Papo Polacanthus and Amargasaurus, but then you go and exaggerate here about the Battat Amargasaurus.

That's fine, anyone can exaggerate on whatever they want, and anyone can point it out. Is a lot easier than you think.

People in this thread have already expressed that they feel the Battat Amargasaurus is a good figure, so what are you trying to achieve by denigrating the figure repeatedly?

Not trying to achieve anything, an Amargasaurus model has been shown in the thread as an example, and the sculptor chimed in. Takama pointed out that the guy wanted to submit some sculpt to Battat, and I just expressed my opinion making a comparison between that guy's style and Battat's. I don't have an agenda to diminish Battat.

It is possible to express that you feel the figure isn't very good in ways that show respect for other people's opinions of the figure, and the fact that the figure is well-made, but I guess you're not interested in that.

I assume that me using terms such as "shoddy" or "chinasaur" to define a figure is automatically a lack of respect for people who like the figure instead. It doesn't work like that Sim, I don't take back my words just because you do not approve them, I don't need your endorsement and I can express my disliking the way I want, as long as I don't offend anyone. Which I didn't, obviously. So you can't come here and tell me to use different expressions using the "respect of other people's opinion" excuse. In fact I perfectly respect other people's opinion, bacause I'm not questioning anybody's right to express them. Which is basically what you're doing here instead, cause you are obviously bothered by the terms "shoddy" and "chinasaur" referred to something you like.

You're just saying the figure is bad, without explaining why, and doing so in a way that shows a lack of tact.

Didn't I make clear that my disliking for the figure is based on my own aesthetic taste? Is that enough as an explanation? I'm sorry if you feel my comments are derogatory, tactless or offensive, but as far as I know the terms I used are allowed. I won't ask for anybody's approval to express my own judgements, and I won't answer any further in this pointless argument, to avoid further OT. So feel free to ignore what I might say in similar occasions.

tyrantqueen

QuoteIt's basically chocolate fudge layered over mocha sponge cake coupled with a creme brûlée underbelly (you can see some of the chocolate syrup pouring down the sides of the legs). It would fit snuggly in the local pastry section of the deli. No offense to Dan LoRusso, as he is not responsible for painting the model.

Yummy yummy. I love this comment.

Takama

Quote from: tanystropheus on October 26, 2017, 01:36:12 AM

Battat models are anatomically correct, but most of the paint applications leave much to be desired. Well, take a look at the first picture.

It's basically chocolate fudge layered over mocha sponge cake coupled with a creme brûlée underbelly (you can see some of the chocolate syrup pouring down the sides of the legs). It would fit snuggly in the local pastry section of the deli. No offense to Dan LoRusso, as he is not responsible for painting the model.

Actully the man did repaint the Amargasaurus, He repainted all (but two) of the Original Boston Museum of Science Dinosaurs for the new Terra line.    However we all know that only a few have been released

Shonisaurus

Quote from: tanystropheus on October 26, 2017, 01:36:12 AM

I disagree as to the dinosaurs of Battat, they were the best of their time and their amargasaurus despite being over twenty is one of the best figures of their kind. in relation to what mentions a member of the forum of such figure as chinasaurs and would like a cheap toy company from China in my time before it was the stores of candies to make dinosaurs of the quality of DanLorruso if I live I put my hand in the fire that his figures would rub shoulders with the best representations of current dinosaurs, but his ancient figures far outweigh many figures of today's toy dinosaurs.

If they were not so good their figures would not be sold apart from their shortage by those prices impossible for eBay to give an example.

It is more I wish that they reedited all the figures of dinosaurs of Battat. They have been and are of the best in the market.

stargatedalek

I'm forced to agree, I personally don't love the Battat dinosaurs, their smooth texture coupled with the very poor factory paint jobs leaves them looking gloppy and quite almost edible even...

This is of course due to the style used not "surviving" very well through a thick factory paint job and not any fault of the original design, but it's still highly off-putting.

Faelrin

I think the Battat Terra Amargasaurus looks okay, but the feet have too many claws. I think the Carnegie one has the hands and feet more accurate. Of course the new Safari Ltd one seems to do the correct clawless digits (not sure about the U-shaped hands yet), but of course the head could have been better, and it would have been nice if the figure was smaller. The legs looks a bit shrinkwrapped on the new Safari Ltd one as well. This new Papo one looks to have the same issues as the Battat in terms of the digits (four or five claws on the feet, when it should be three), but I'm not quite sure about the rest other then the sail maybe. I do like the color scheme a bit though. I don't think it's the worst of Papo's figures either.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

I like the Battat dinosaurs, for the most part, but the Amarga isn't the best among them. I can forgive the presence of the sail given the age of the sculpt, but the sail isn't even symmetric, even if you account for the torsion of the neck. It's a slightly muddy sculpt, and as has been pointed out, the heavy-handed paint job doesn't help it.

I still prefer it to this Papo thing, though. That single spike is bizarre and baffling. Unless it's accompanied by a stump of a broken off spine, that's a really egregious mistake. It's highly textured and all, which gives it a thin veneer of realistic-ness, but it sort of reminds me of beginning drawing students who start with drawing a person's eye and give it lots of detail before planning the rest of the face, distorting the whole composition.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

tyrantqueen

I don't care much for the Battat Amargasaurus either, but most toylines are mixed bags. I don't think there is a line where I can say I like everything.

Silvanusaurus

I dont know about anyone else, but this is now making me want a line of sweet, edible dinosaur figures, each one based on a different kind of cake or dessert, and as unhealthy as they are scientifically accurate. 

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: